Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,358

2 members and 3,356 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

Red face If you sell a critter to a minor...

1) please make sure the parents are cool with it first, and 2) don't misrepresent what the animal is.

Pics will follow once my husband returns with the rescue in a few hours.

Registered User snake.named.fuzzy's Avatar
    Thanks
    This sounds like a must-hear/must-see!
    -Shayna

Fuzzy, normal ball python
    Teddy Man, shih-poo
    Rapael, albino clawed frog
    Nana, leopard gecko

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    Woof. Yeah, I'm not sure how I'm gonna screen it yet, but I'm going to figure out and draft up some sort of sales agreement with a clause specifically regarding minors. Basically, if a minor wants to purchase a snake, the parent or guardian has to sign a thing saying that they acknowledge and are fully aware this is a snake (with a lifespan of 30ish years), that the kid has permission to keep it, and that as the person over the age of majority in the house giving permission, they're responsible for primary care or returning/rehoming the snake should the kid fail to provide care for it.

Is that putting too much emotional attachment on the babies I produce/sell? I know some breeders are kind of hands-off past a certain point, but one of my biggest fears is putting a snake I cared for in someone else's hands only to have it wind up abused/neglected. Most dog breeders I've worked with require you to sign a purchase agreement before selling a puppy. I figure it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to include one for a snake.

Thanks

Re: If you sell a critter to a minor...

Are you considering everyone under 18 a minor? I'm just wondering because I'm 17 with 2 very healthy snakes I do think that making the parents sign a waiver saying they are responsible for their child's pet is a great idea. Makes a parent think if their kid can actually keep a pet of any kind

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by That_One_New_Guy View Post
    Are you considering everyone under 18 a minor? I'm just wondering because I'm 17 with 2 very healthy snakes I do think that making the parents sign a waiver saying they are responsible for their child's pet is a great idea. Makes a parent think if their kid can actually keep a pet of any kind
    I'm talking about the legal definition - under 18 can not sign contracts, must do as the parents say unless the minor has been emancipated (which is rare), etc.

In this case the parents were unfortunately ignorant and the snake was almost "taken out back and shot". Fortunately they agreed to having it rehomed, but it had to be gone by sundown...

Thanks

So the kid went out and bought a snake? Then the parents had to take care of the animal?

Thanks
    "Minor" can be a little weird to define. Technically in Texas you can be tried as an adult at 17, and I know it's younger in some other states and countries. Personally I would consider 14-16 a fine age for purchasing your own pet. I think what's more important in the situation you're talking about is making sure anyone going to buy an animal has consent from the person who owns/leases the place they're living in. There are 30 year old's that live with their parents, and if they bring a snake home that Mom says has to go is that any different than a 14 year old doing the same thing?

As private sellers, it's up to our discretion who we sell to. An irresponsible buyer is an irresponsible buyer regardless of age, it's our job to identify who's who.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daigga View Post
    "Minor" can be a little weird to define. Technically in Texas you can be tried as an adult at 17, and I know it's younger in some other states and countries. Personally I would consider 14-16 a fine age for purchasing your own pet. I think what's more important in the situation you're talking about is making sure anyone going to buy an animal has consent from the person who owns/leases the place they're living in. There are 30 year old's that live with their parents, and if they bring a snake home that Mom says has to go is that any different than a 14 year old doing the same thing?

As private sellers, it's up to our discretion who we sell to. An irresponsible buyer is an irresponsible buyer regardless of age, it's our job to identify who's who.
    In Texas you are an adult in the eyes of the law at 17, you will not be tried any other way from that point on. For certain crimes with certain criteria you can be certified as an adult at a younger age.

As to the topic at hand I think 17 is a good age to be able to buy your own animal. But even then if you are living at home and your parents say no, that's too bad. Their roof, their rules.

I do not think that anybody younger than that should be able to buy an animal alone without a parents approval. Not because they are unable to care for as Im sure they are, I did. Its just that they are not an adult and do not have their own place to make such decisions. Also the parents need to be aware of how long some of these animals can live and in many cases a young person has no business buying such a thing because of the life changes they will be experiencing over the next few years.

If I was a breeder I would not let anybody under 17 buy an animal without knowing the parents were on board and fully understood what they were getting into.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    "Minor" is in fact a term with a legal definition and ramifications. Age of majority in most states is 18, save for a few odd balls. A 30 year old still living with their parents is still a 30 year old, legally an adult and responsible for the the cost and care of their pet. If they want a snake, but their parents don't, they can bloody well get a job, a room mate and their own place. Kids as young as 14 in some states can be tried as adults if the crime is heinous enough, and they are determined to be in full control of their sanity, and demonstrate they knew what they were doing at the time was wrong/illegal. That has no bearing on them being able to move out of their parents care or be held legally responsible for signing a contract or care of any animals in that house hold. If your kid sneaks in a pet then neglects it and animal control/ASPCA find it, guess who's gonna be held legally responsible for fees or jail time? Hint: not the kid.

Thanks

Down here in Texas it's 17 but I think it isn't a good way to measure maturity and how someone handles responsibility

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast