Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,414

2 members and 3,412 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Prolapsed Rectum and problems

Well it finally happened to me. Wednesday I paired my 2010 het albinos. The male has been off feed for a couple months but has been maintaining his weight and has been locking up good. Thursday they were not locked so I thought goodie the female will be laying soon. There was no excrement in her bin either which is always present if the pair had mated. Friday I took the male out and put him back in his bin. Saturday I notice the male's bin is fogged up so I go to change it and......prolapse. It was big (tangerine size) but very fresh. Saturday I soaked the prolapse in a thick sugar solution and was able to massage the prolapse about half way back in over several hours. I left him overnight with a quarter size prolapse hanging out on wet paper towels. Sunday morning no change in prolapse BUT there was also a large puddle? of clear viscus fluid along with urate smear all over the bin and prolapse. I cleaned the snake and the bin and pushed the remaining prolapse in successfully. I bandaged the vent area and put the snake on dry paper towels for two hours. When I checked on him the bandage was still in place but there was another large puddle of clear viscus fluid. I took of the bandage and the prolapse is almost completely gone, the vent area is slightly bulging and swollen which is expected. I put him on clean dry paper towels. Two hours later I check on him and he has another large puddle of clear viscus fluid in the bin with him. At no time during the day did I see fluid coming from the snakes mouth, no heavy breathing, no wheezing, nothing unusual at all aside from the prolapse. What the heck is going on here? Did the much larger rejecting female harm this male, damage him in some way to cause the prolapse? Is the viscus fluid vomit? Did the sugar solution make him nauseated? It just seems as though something happened to this snake in the female's bin and now he is damaged? Has anyone else had anything like this happen? Any ideas here on what is going on? I will update if anything else happens but I have a feeling this male will not have a good outcome.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Prolapsed Rectum and problems

I haven't had to deal with a prolapse thank God but I haven't seen people reporting pools of liquid either.

I'd think a vet visit is a good move at this point.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Exclamation

I also vote on a vet visit. It may be the only way to get help fast enough.

Thanks

A couple years back i had a female prolapse. I to soaked it in a sugar solution, but i didnt have any problems like your having. How deep was your solution? Deep enough where he could have ingested a large amount somehow? Possible upsetting his stomach? Thatd be my best guess. No matter what id try to get him to a vet. Goodluck to you and the snake.
    Last edited by kylearmbar; 02-23-2015 at 04:56 AM.
    0.2 normal, 1.0 Butter, 1.1 Fire, 1.0 Pastel, 0.1 Spider, .1 Pastel Het Clown

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Well, the snake died sometime today. I checked on him at 530 this morning and he looked about the same. No new puddles of fluid. At 6pm he was deceased. I only applied a paste of sugar to the prolapse over the course of about 3 hours on Saturday to reduce the swelling enough to get the prolapse back in. I did not immerse him in solution. This was a very strange event. I am convinced it had something to do with the pairing. Tuesday this snake was 100% fine and breeding well then had this huge insult to the vent directly after removing him from a large female that seemingly rejected him. I am thinking that the pools of liquid were sputum, and said liquid was produced by the intestines. The liquid was unable to pass due to blockage or damage to the passage through the rectum. The prolapse was big and to me his chances of full recovery were slim. At best he was headed to a pet only situation with breeding totally out of the question and possible prolapse in the future quite likely. Overall this was a very odd situation. I considered preforming a necropsy to see what happened in there but decided not to in the end. Hopefully this will be my one and only incident with prolapse!

Thanks

Im sorry this had a bad outcome. You really should bring that female he was paired with to the vet to make sure she isnt a carrier of some sort of desease or risk losing another animal.
    0.2 normal, 1.0 Butter, 1.1 Fire, 1.0 Pastel, 0.1 Spider, .1 Pastel Het Clown

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Don't worry, I don't think the female is sick in any way. She has been paired with this male for the past 3 seasons and laid a clutch last year with him. I have had them both since 2010. I don't think the male died from infectious disease but from complications from the prolapse. I do wonder, however, if the prolapse was related to the pairing. I am wondering if some sort of trauma inflicted by the female to the vent region caused him to prolapse in the first place. I am monitoring the female and she is quite feisty at them moment. I expect that she will lay soon. She is quite large and cranky.