Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,978

3 members and 2,975 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Hey everybody...
    Well, I have actually managed to cure somebody of "Snake Phobia"...The person in question is my mother who has always been terrified of snakes - When I first got my initial Ball Python she would come over to my apartment and would refuse to go near the enclosure ...but I started taking her with me to the Reptile store I frequent and I would explain to her that the snakes were behind glass and could not hurt her...and I explained to her that in most cases the snakes were totally harmless. She started to ask timid questions about how they live and so forth...she was nibbling at the bait so to speak :wink: I would tell her various facets of information about snake husbandry and how fascinating these animals really were. I stressed that snakes are indeed just another kind of animal and not some sort of supernatural evil creature like they have been made out to be. One of my moms most persistent ideas was that snakes are slimy and wet....So one day at thereptile store I asked them to take out a baby Burm and I had my mom just ....touch it lightly :wink: She was so surprised!!! She told me that it felt like a warm piece of luggage...heh heh heh

So now I have actually gotten her to the point where she will handle my Ball Pythons and she likes to help me with husbandry chores ...she will hold my pythons in her lap while I change substrate or fill their water bowls and so forth :lol: She has completely changed. She even knows that there are harmless snakes and other snakes that are not quite so harmless but she no longer views them as being something evil anymore... she actually likes it when they flicker their tongues out at her....a snake phobia success story I think..!!!!!!!!!!

EyeLashViper

Thanks
    very cool! now go work on my mom...
    1.0 Green tree python

Banned
    Thanks
    good job!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,328 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries
    nice work there eyelash. my mom was pretty cool about nellie the one time they got to interact when she came to visit me. i got her out and held her out to my mom. i told my mom to touch her and see how soft she was and my mom hesistated and said "is she going to bite me?" i laughed and told her that unless she had just had her hands in a bag of mice that i didn't know existed in my apartment that she would be fine. she ended up holding nellie for a short while and i was proud.
    - Emily

Banned
    Thanks
    some day my mom will be like that! ..... someday someday

Thanks
    nice, my wife and I cought a few people over the summer when we would have snakes out on our walks...its pretty cool to see people who are unsure of the animal but brave enough to ask about it and want to touch or even hold them.
    www.ASFRats.info African soft-furred rats information and exchange.

www.WarrenReptiles.com
    Website Hosting available see site for details

Thanks
    Good Job!
    That's awesome. I love a story w/ a happy ending
    ~ Johanna ~ aka Jody

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be measured by the way it's animals are treated"
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi~

BPnet Veteran BallPythonBabe448's Avatar
    Thanks
    Cool! The funny thing is, it was actually my moms idea for me to get Mosi that day when we went to the petshop. LOL! She had 2 rtb's before and I think she missed them.
    0.1 Bearded Dragon (Reka)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    My mom likes holding Link. At first she was a bit squeemish, but I got her to hold a baby burm at a pet shop andn ow she thinks that they're cute. SO she holds Link when I bring him out.
    Ball Pythons: Link
    If you have any advice for a new keeper pm me.

Thanks
    Heh, I have to keep one of my friends from playing with my snakes all of the time. As for my parents, one doesn't know, but would think it would be pretty cool. The other one thinks it's pretty cool.
    Check out my gallery! www.schlyne.deviantart.com I am not really active on forums anymore, but I am on facebook.
    Please Click the Dragon eggs/hatchlings!

All of my Dragons can be seen here http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/48959

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast