Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,303

1 members and 3,302 guests
AR29,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,576
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
    Thanks

New BP, help please

So I just purchased my new BP on Friday. When I first picked her up from my local breeder, she was completely fine when I was handling her. The breeder informed me that it was her feeding day and gave me her meal (live). I brought her home and placed her in a container where she could eat, and she ate no problem.Directly after her feeding, I placed her in her new home and a couple days after, I decided to handle her. She seemed very nervous (as I expected) but I was able to handle her. I decided to handle her again the following night and everything was fine, up until I accidently dropped her (from about 2 ft high). I felt horrible and immediately placed her back in her enclosure. The next day when I tried to handle her, she immediately began hissing, and being a new snake owner, I backed off considering I did not know what to do.So my two questions:How long should I wait to handle her again?Since her last feed was last Friday, how do I go about feeding her this Friday (despite her possible hissing)/ moving her to a separate container to feed her?Also side note, she is 4 months old. Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks a bunch in advance.

Thanks
    She is more stressed by this incident than you are.

A drop from that sort of height is unlikely to have caused any permanent damage. The hissing is a warning because she is scared of you. It is her intention to prevent you from handling her. It sounds like she is succeeding in that.

There is no need to move her to a separate tub to feed (hides behind sofa, as this has been a contentious issue on this site) In my experience snakes only go into feed mode when they can smell food.

Should the 'worst' happen and you get bitten ? Well you will discover that the fear of the bite (especially from a baby) is worse than the bite itself. I think being bitten is one of the best experiences you can have because it makes you realise there is nothing to worry about and stop you worrying bout it in the future. If you get bitten by a rat, it will hurt a lot more than getting bitten by the snake.

Just offer her feed exactly as you would have done if the incident hadn't happened.

Hope that helps.

- - - Updated - - -

She is more stressed by this incident than you are.

A drop from that sort of height is unlikely to have caused any permanent damage. The hissing is a warning because she is scared of you. It is her intention to prevent you from handling her. It sounds like she is succeeding in that.

There is no need to move her to a separate tub to feed (hides behind sofa, as this has been a contentious issue on this site) In my experience snakes only go into feed mode when they can smell food.

Should the 'worst' happen and you get bitten ? Well you will discover that the fear of the bite (especially from a baby) is worse than the bite itself. I think being bitten is one of the best experiences you can have because it makes you realise there is nothing to worry about and stop you worrying bout it in the future. If you get bitten by a rat, it will hurt a lot more than getting bitten by the snake.

Just offer her feed exactly as you would have done if the incident hadn't happened.

Hope that helps.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul's Pieds For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (02-18-2015)

Thanks

Re: New BP, help please

Quote Originally Posted by nagu1rre View Post
    So I just purchased my new BP on Friday. When I first picked her up from my local breeder, she was completely fine when I was handling her. The breeder informed me that it was her feeding day and gave me her meal (live). I brought her home and placed her in a container where she could eat, and she ate no problem.Directly after her feeding, I placed her in her new home and a couple days after, I decided to handle her. She seemed very nervous (as I expected) but I was able to handle her. I decided to handle her again the following night and everything was fine, up until I accidently dropped her (from about 2 ft high). I felt horrible and immediately placed her back in her enclosure. The next day when I tried to handle her, she immediately began hissing, and being a new snake owner, I backed off considering I did not know what to do.So my two questions:How long should I wait to handle her again?Since her last feed was last Friday, how do I go about feeding her this Friday (despite her possible hissing)/ moving her to a separate container to feed her?Also side note, she is 4 months old. Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks a bunch in advance.
    Leave her be until she's fed again and just feed in her cage. No real reason to move to a separate container, will just stress the snake out further.

Give her a couple days after that before handling and don't take no for an answer if she hisses. She's associating you/humans in general with a fall and she's trying to get you to go away. If you keep leaving her alone it will only reinforce that the hissing works and encourage that behavior.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Foxton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yes some of mine hiss from time to time. Usually they are bluffing, I just ignore them and continue with what I'm doing. That way they don't think that they have some sort of control. Also the above poster was correct. You don't need to feed your snake in a separate container. Just give your little guy a little time to settle down and you will be fine.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tigerhawk For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: New BP, help please

Quote Originally Posted by Paul's Pieds View Post
    LOL, though I do agree there really is no need to feed in a separate tub, however I would argue that they are always in feed mode.
    Last edited by C2tcardin; 02-18-2015 at 09:53 AM.
    Cheers, Jeff