Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,333

2 members and 2,331 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

Well thats new (regurge)

I guess I have been lucky up until now. Of all the snakes I own/have owned I have never had a regurge. Today was a first, and after the smell it was hopefully the last. I think it was probably my fault as I caused a decent amount of stress to her last night and she regurged today. She gets room heat (@84) and is being fed mice. I fed her 5 days ago and figured enough time had passed so she came out to get some pictures taken. Seemed pretty calm, put her away and then this morning bam..regurge. It was almost fully digested the only thing that was not was the tail oddly (at least thats the only thing I could make out what it was). At first I thought about putting a picture of that up..but then I realized that doing so would gross out even those who love to roam the feces picture threads. I thought five days was plenty of time to wait for handling. Anyway I guess I am posting this to ask other than giving her some time off food (planning on two weeks) is their anything else I should be doing?
    Since getting these pictures caused a regure I might as well post one or two while I am at it.

I Gots Me Some Snakes...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to KING JAMES For This Useful Post:

Reinz (02-20-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,874 Times in 4,783 Posts
    Her next few feeders should be a size down from normal. So if she was on a large adult mouse, give her a small adult or hopper for a few weeks, then put her back to her regular feeder size.

Also dust the feeder with some NutriBAC right before feeding. You can buy it at TheBeanFarm.com.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (02-15-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    She's Beautiful!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts
    After five days it's not a regurge....it's vomit...and it's a much more serious event.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

Gio (02-21-2015),LaciArsenic (09-18-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    I didn't originally really read the OP, I was busy admiring the photos.

Now that I actually read it and Skiploader's comments, I wonder if the tail did not quite make it all the way into the stomach for digestion. And thus held the pyloric valve open for the stomach contents to empty.
    If that's the case, the vomiting could be a good thing. A stuck tail could lead to compilations.

Thanks

Re: Well thats new (regurge)

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    After five days it's not a regurge....it's vomit...and it's a much more serious event.
    Can you give me more than that? She seems weak now, a lot weaker than i would expect. Acting different enough that she has made her way out of the snake room to quarantine.

I Gots Me Some Snakes...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts
    A regurge is an event that occurs soon after the snake is fed, and is commonly done in a "fight or flight" situation...the snake divests itself of it's meal in order to escape a predator. The meal is regurged in order to divert energy to quick motion and escape. It is a relatively non-taxing event, as it often does not include any digestion.

Vomiting is just that...the snake cannot digest the food for a variety of reasons: improper husbandry, extreme stress, internal parasites, disease or a dysfunction of the digestive system. It involves a degree of digestion and is fairly rough on the animal.

If this occurred 5 days after ingestion of the prey item then it was definitely vomiting. If nothing else is wrong with the animals, then I would wait a minimum of two weeks to offer it another prey item and dose it's water with Benebac.

If the snake is showing signs of illness, then it needs to see a qualified herp vet. The vomiting is then most likely a symptom of a larger issue.
    Last edited by Skiploder; 02-20-2015 at 09:21 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

Gio (02-21-2015)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Just looking at the pictures, the bottom half of the snake looks a little full - there is more spacing between the scales than I would expect to see. Do you have pics that are zoomed out some?

When you feed, do the food items make a noticeable bulge? What do you feed, and what size? Also, has she been passing stool/urates? I'm wondering if it was either a food item that was too large, and maybe started rotting before she could finish digesting it, or if she's backed up so much that the food couldn't get through?