Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,578

0 members and 2,578 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
    Thanks

"Temporary" Feeder Habitat

Hey guys! So my BP doesn't much like eating the day after a shed apparently, so I am stuck with a feeder adult mouse til she gets hungry.

I'm trying to figure how to keep it, you know, safe, healthy, happy ish. I don't enjoy the thought of killing it, however painlessly, the only thing I could consider is dry ice, and broke til Friday. I know, my husband thinks I shouldn't have a snake if I am uncomfortable performing a cervical dislocation, but I love animals, it would make me sad... She doesn't like f/t anyway.

Currently it is in a large tupperware with holes every inch around the top about as big around as my corkscrew (hey, it worked), it is bedded down with clean white toilet paper. A large plastic bottle cap holds strawberry bits and a little of my high quality cat food. A big medicine bottle cap (well cleaned) holds water. It is on a high bookshelf, away from my cats interests.

How is this for a temp setup? I hope to get a cage this weekend.

Thanks

Re: "Temporary" Feeder Habitat

Should be ok

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    That's fine for a day or two. I actually went out and bought a cheep hampster cage for rejected meals. It's green so I call it the green mile inn & suits (hope someone gets that)
    Last edited by aLittleLessButter; 02-12-2015 at 08:11 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to aLittleLessButter For This Useful Post:

IsmQui718 (06-13-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: "Temporary" Feeder Habitat

Quote Originally Posted by aLittleLessButter View Post
    That's fine for a day or two. I actually went out and bought a cheep hampster cage for rejected meals. It's green so I call it the green mile inn & suits (hope someone gets that)
    One of my favorite S.K. books!

To the OP, that setup sounds alright for the time being. But I would recommend buying a small, inexpensive cage or little glass tank with a screen lid and a proper water bottle, and a bag of aspen bedding, at the very least. Water in a "bowl" doesn't work well for mice. And if you feed a ball python live prey, this is not going to be the only rejection you'll have to house for a little while.

Also, not sure about the setup you've described regarding its size...if the mouse can reach any of those holes or any other edgy part of the plastic, it can possibly chew a hole large enough to escape.

Some other things you can do: Offer a little chunk of carrot to gnaw on. Dry cereal is always a welcomed treat. And toss in an empty toilet paper or paper towel roll to give them something to hide in and chew on....replace as necessary.
    -- Judy

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

anicatgirl (02-12-2015),IsmQui718 (06-13-2015),Rhasputin (02-12-2015)