Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,198

0 members and 3,198 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
    Thanks

How much weight loss till it is a concern?

Hello all, I was wondering how much weight a BP should lose before it becomes a concern. My BP hasn't eaten since 10/23/14 and at the time weighed 1282g. I keep track of everything she does like pooping/shedding/weight/feedings etc. I have attempted feeding her many times since then but she shows little to no interest. The first 3 months she only lost 30g and two weeks ago was down to aprox 1250g. However, I have noticed that the past few weeks/month she has been less active. She peed today and I weighed her again and she was down to 1230g. So thats 20g in two weeks which concerned me a little. So when should I begin to get really worried and what should I do?

Thanks
    What do you mean when you say you have attempted feeding her many times? Frequent feeding attempts (multiple times a week) may stress out the snake and prolong the period of time that she doesn't eat. She doesn't sound like she's doing too bad. I would continue offering once a week until she eats.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I have a very small male that regularly goes 3-4 months without eating then will eat 2-3 meals before going back on strike. When eating he gets up over 200g but during his strikes he's gotten as low as 140g. Mind you he is almost a year old and is otherwise healthy. As long as the snake looks roundish then it should be fine but if it starts looking thin with a defined triangular shape along the back then maybe contact a breeder near you and have them take a look at him. Only use assist feeding as a last resort and maybe look into your setup and make sure everything is ideal.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    No worries, that is not even 5%.

A lot of that was from uriniating. She can get a bunch of that back with a good drink.

As long as she looks good don't worry and put the scales away for a while.

Spring is coming and she will break her hunger strike soon.

Thanks

Re: How much weight loss till it is a concern?

Quote Originally Posted by tbowman View Post
    What do you mean when you say you have attempted feeding her many times? Frequent feeding attempts (multiple times a week) may stress out the snake and prolong the period of time that she doesn't eat. She doesn't sound like she's doing too bad. I would continue offering once a week until she eats.
    I feed her once a week when she is steadily eating, but when she refuses two weeks in a row, I skip a week. Then if she refuses then, I skip two weeks. Now I've been offering her food once every 3 or 4 weeks. She is still refusing but once she eats I pick up the feeding once a week schedule again.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lX V1P3R Xl For This Useful Post:

tbowman (02-09-2015)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    20 grams on an animal that size is nothing an animal that size could lose 100 grams just by having a bowel movement.

To me it is not a weight percentage it is an overall look.

At this size your snake could go off food for a year without any ill effect.
    Deborah Stewart