Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,224

1 members and 3,223 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Things to ask during vet visit

I set up a vet appointment for tomorrow (suspect My ball has an RI) and am curious if there are any questions I should ask incase they're important and don't get brought up. The vet I'm going to I found online when searching for reptile vets in my area. I also asked on the phone if they cared for reptiles and they said two vets there do. Seeing as I have never gone to a vet appointment or met this vet I'm unsure of what types of questions I should be asking. I know I should have found a vet before having an issue but I made the mistake of not and now I'm trying to make up for it in anyway I can. I want to make sure my pet has the best care so I want to be as best prepared as I can be on my end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    ASK - How much experience do you have with ball pythons? If they act like all snakes are the same, or the same as all other reptiles find another vet.
    Last edited by Viol8r; 02-04-2015 at 10:14 PM.
    1. het Pied 1. Albino 1. Lesser 1. Fire 1. OG 1. Pinstripe het VPI Axanthic 1. Mojave Enchi
    1. Bumblebee 1. Black Pastel Kingpin 1. Pastel Tiger
    .1 Pastel .1 Pastel het Pied .1 Calico .1 OG .1 Mojave het Lavender Albino .1 Lithium .1 Caramel Spider .1 Bumblebee .1 Bumblebee het Clown .1 Leopard
    1. Wild Caught Corn 1. Coral Snow Corn .1 Snow Corn .1 Butter Corn .1 Albino Reverse Okeetee Corn ?.? Frilled Dragon .2 Ferrets

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Viol8r For This Useful Post:

_Victoria (02-04-2015)

Thanks

Re: Things to ask during vet visit

ceftazidime was prescribed with shot every 72 hrs. Now I'm not going to be home on a day the shot falls on (14th) and was told I could give it to him on the 13th. Does this sound correct? It threw me off because the woman said "because it's only an antibiotic"

Thanks
    yes, antibiotics can be doubled. They're most often doubled on the first dose though. Just make sure you use all of it, and as close to how it says as possible.
    1. het Pied 1. Albino 1. Lesser 1. Fire 1. OG 1. Pinstripe het VPI Axanthic 1. Mojave Enchi
    .1 Pastel .1 Pastel het Pied .1 Calico .1 OG .1 Mojave het Lavender Albino .1 Lithium .1 Caramel Spider .1 Bumblebee .1 Bumblebee het Clown .1 Leopard
    1. Wild Caught Corn 1. Coral Snow Corn .1 Snow Corn .1 Butter Corn .1 Albino Reverse Okeetee Corn ?.? Frilled Dragon .2 Ferrets

Thanks

Ooo the shots are fun. I'm giving mine the same antibiotic and have been for a bit. Honestly, if it makes you feel uncomfortable find another vet or call an emergency exotic pet vet.

The vet that I go to (an hour and a half drive) has two doctors who deal with reptiles. One who actually got her doctorate in reptile studies and the other one is almost that experienced. I called the emergency vet to double check how to give the shots right before I did. They can answer any general question.

Thanks

Oh the shots are fun (not really). It's not too bad though. I'm giving mine the same antibiotic and have been for a bit. Honestly, if it makes you feel uncomfortable find another vet or call an emergency exotic pet vet.

The vet that I go to (an hour and a half drive) has two doctors who deal with reptiles. One who actually got her doctorate in reptile studies and the other one is almost that experienced. I called the emergency vet to double check how to give the shots right before I did. They can answer any general question.

Thanks

Sorry about the double post, my talk to text type isn't working properly.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Viol8r View Post
    yes, antibiotics can be doubled. They're most often doubled on the first dose though. Just make sure you use all of it, and as close to how it says as possible.
    Whew! Thanks for the info, that's good to know and get another opinion. I'm going to try to get as close to the 72 hours i can get, I just didn't want to hurt him because I'll be early on one day by about 12hrs. The vet showed me how to do everything so I'm going to try my hardest to do exactly how he did and I'll definitely be using every shot and keeping a log of times/progress. My main concern is I do not want to hurt my pet and shots are intimidating.

Quote Originally Posted by DanAnna View Post
    Ooo the shots are fun. I'm giving mine the same antibiotic and have been for a bit. Honestly, if it makes you feel uncomfortable find another vet or call an emergency exotic pet vet.

All day I've been trying to figure out if i called a vet that specializes in reptiles if they would give me a second opinion. Now that I know that I will be doing that. I trusted the vet I had but another opinion from someone who is a vet who cares of ball pythons would ease my mind better.

I haven't given a shot yet but I bet they're going to be harder than the vet made them look today! Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by _Victoria; 02-05-2015 at 11:24 PM.

Thanks
    What are your ambient temps? My vet recommended bumping ours up a couple degrees when one of ours went exploring on his own, knocked a water bottle over(amongst a bunch of other things), and spent the night in a cold damp closet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Viol8r View Post
    What are your ambient temps? My vet recommended bumping ours up a couple degrees when one of ours went exploring on his own, knocked a water bottle over(amongst a bunch of other things), and spent the night in a cold damp closet.
    I raised them temp to ambient on cold being 85-86 and on the warm side around 88-89. Uth is at 95. All surface temps are taken below two layers of paper towel. Humidity is at around 40-45.

When I went to the vet I had already been raising them to cold 84-84 and hot side 86-92. Was told to bump it off and from surfing the net read to keep while enclosure around 90. He's now laying outside his hides in the middle by his dish since the cold side climbed to surface 88 degrees.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast