Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,338

3 members and 3,335 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

getting ball python used to me via shirt??

Hello all...

So I recently acquired a 6 or 7 month old female lesser. She seems quite tame but seems nervous when I start to pick her up. I read in a forum somewhere to wear a shirt for 24 hours and then put it in the enclosure with her so it can get used to you scent. Well me being me and wanting a better bond with her I gave it a shot. Within 10 minutes she attempted to eat the shirt lmfao. So I misted her and got her to release the shirt lol. What I'm wondering is if anyone has ever tried this technique with a new snake, and what the neck does it mean if she tries to eat it lol. She just ate a medium rat yesterday just fyi. Lol. Thanks!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jillatized For This Useful Post:

se7en (02-03-2015)

Thanks
    Not sure why she was trying to eat the shirt, sounds kinda odd to me. But I've never actually tried the method that you've used. After leaving my snake alone for a week, just taking peeks in the vivarium and switching his water out daily, I handled him after the week was up and he was fine after a few handling sessions.
    1.0 Normal - Poseidon.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Atrox For This Useful Post:

jillatized (02-03-2015)

Thanks
    she actually tried swallowing the shirt? lol thats definitely interesting behavior.
    ive never heard of that method of familiarization but it stands to reason that they would get your scent for sure.
    if she is in a new enclosure and has had her whole world essentially changed the best advice i can give is to leave her be when she is hiding and if she is shy just give her a little time to acclimate to her new surroundings.
    slow movements and a steady hand while handling and make sure she feels fully supported when you do handle her and she will warm up to you, it just takes a little time, they wont be the instant gratification animal like a dog might be but with patience and solid husbandry you end up getting a truly amazing companion that spans a couple decades.
    congrats on the recent aquisition hope to see pics of the beauty soon, i happen to love the lesser morph.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to phil89 For This Useful Post:

jillatized (02-03-2015)

Thanks

Re: getting ball python used to me via shirt??

I'll try to upload a pic once I figure out how to do it lol Didn't work.
    Last edited by jillatized; 02-03-2015 at 03:17 AM.

Thanks
    upload it from your comp to your gallery first then when its in there the bottom right hand side of your page you should see a copy/paste field that says direct link
    when posting it in forum all you have to do is copy the link from direct link and click the "post a picture icon" on the thread you are submitting it to and paste the direct link there and voila.
    took me several tries to get it lol

Thanks

Got it...sorry it's so big. Anyways, this is Isis.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    I've used that method for bearded dragons but never snakes. I just let the snakes relax a week or so and once they are eating good, I just hold them every couple days and move slow and let them more or less move on you as they want. After a couple months, they are fine and not head shy or anything. My boa actually likes her head pet and her body pet the whole length although sometimes she doesn't want anything to do with being bugged and just wants to sit half outside the cage hanging down staring at the floor for an hour or so. Each snake will have its own personality. Just slowly work with them and don't make fast moves at them from above or in front towards the head.

As for eating the shirt, that's funny but I imagine not at the time. I've never seen a snake try to eat something that didn't smell like their food. I've heard of them eating paper towels that got wrapped in their food and my snakes will normally smell the spot on the aspen where their rat was. Maybe the snake will try and eat you once it gets bigger and more comfortable with you. Or the snake is luring you into a false sense of security and sizing you up for the best method of attack.

Kind of off topic but you didn't happen to pick her up from Everett Washington did you?
    Last edited by Sauzo; 02-03-2015 at 03:35 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

se7en (02-03-2015)

Thanks
    wow very pretty girl you have there, decent size for the age too congrats again
    ive gotta get me a lesser soon

13. The Following User Says Thank You to phil89 For This Useful Post:

jillatized (02-03-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    I've used that method for bearded dragons but never snakes. I just let the snakes relax a week or so and once they are eating good, I just hold them every couple days and move slow and let them more or less move on you as they want. After a couple months, they are fine and not head shy or anything. My boa actually likes her head pet and her body pet the whole length although sometimes she doesn't want anything to do with being bugged and just wants to sit half outside the cage hanging down staring at the floor for an hour or so. Each snake will have its own personality. Just slowly work with them and don't make fast moves at them from above or in front towards the head.

As for eating the shirt, that's funny but I imagine not at the time. I've never seen a snake try to eat something that didn't smell like their food. I've heard of them eating paper towels that got wrapped in their food and my snakes will normally smell the spot on the aspen where their rat was. Maybe the snake will try and eat you once it gets bigger and more comfortable with you. Or the snake is luring you into a false sense of security and sizing you up for the best method of attack.

Kind of off topic but you didn't happen to pick her up from Everett Washington did you?

No local exotic pet store. I'm not sure how well they keep their animals though. She had mites which I'm dealing with now (great first experience by the way lol), and was drinking like she wanted a river in her viv the first day I brought her home. I've had her two weeks now and she's eaten both weeks so she seems to be healthy. Now I'm just waiting on the mite supplies to arrive to treat her properly. I took her to the pet store right after I noticed the mites and they washed her down with olive oil? I think. and sprayed something on the bag they put her back into and I washed the new viv again and redid the substrate, and a week later....they're back! FML so anyways once that's taken care of for good I'll be happier. She just shed for me about 75% yesterday. As far as eating me? Well I'm hoping that now that she tried to eat the shirt she doesn't think he's my lunch everytime I go to pick her up now LOL. We'll see I guess.

Thanks
    That does sound odd... We don't wait to handle ours. I tried that but the wife wasn't listening and was holding ours all the time when we first got them. Now I feel that they get acclimated to you quicker since there is not a "wait time". As long as their husbandry is good we haven't had any issues of not eating or being jumpy.
    1. het Pied 1. Albino 1. Lesser 1. Fire 1. OG 1. Pinstripe het VPI Axanthic 1. Mojave Enchi
    1. Bumblebee 1. Black Pastel Kingpin 1. Pastel Tiger
    .1 Pastel .1 Pastel het Pied .1 Calico .1 OG .1 Mojave het Lavender Albino .1 Lithium .1 Caramel Spider .1 Bumblebee .1 Bumblebee het Clown .1 Leopard
    1. Wild Caught Corn 1. Coral Snow Corn .1 Snow Corn .1 Butter Corn .1 Albino Reverse Okeetee Corn ?.? Frilled Dragon .2 Ferrets

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast