Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,327

1 members and 3,326 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

falling in love with Tegus

i really want a Blue Tegu, i have zero experience with monitors of any sort, most of my experience is with BPs.
    ive read a lot of the care sheets and i am beginning to see that while the demands are high so are the rewards. i dont have a "ton" of space but i do have the willingness to build a decent enclosure for him/her and i would love nothing more than to handle and care for him/her.
    my local pet store has one i really like and the price is really nice at $45. i think i might have to jump all over that.
    any veterans wanna give me a few pointers on starting out?

Thanks
    I had my doubts, as I have never heard of them until this post. BUT a giant lizard that acts like a dog? Sign me up

Registered User jasonmcgilvrey83's Avatar
    Thanks
    At full grown they will need at least a 8x4x4 cage unless u have an extra beedroom u can turn an enclosure into. U should check out the mcgiver on YouTube. They have a tegu that runs free in the house. If raised right they can be super sweet.

Thanks

Re: falling in love with Tegus

Quote Originally Posted by phil89 View Post
    i really want a Blue Tegu, i have zero experience with monitors of any sort, most of my experience is with BPs.
    ive read a lot of the care sheets and i am beginning to see that while the demands are high so are the rewards. i dont have a "ton" of space but i do have the willingness to build a decent enclosure for him/her and i would love nothing more than to handle and care for him/her.
    my local pet store has one i really like and the price is really nice at $45. i think i might have to jump all over that.
    any veterans wanna give me a few pointers on starting out?
    Ok, first a tegu is not a monitor, they are very distantly related, second 45 dollars for a blue tegu is unheard of, do you have pictures?
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks
    A blue tegu should go for way more than $45 so be sure to do your research and make sure it is a true blue Argentine tegu. Stay away from the Colombian tegus as they are usually more aggressive. Also be aware of the power and strength of these amazing lizards as they get bigger. I had lots of retic experience but it didn't even begin to prepare me for an angry sub adult tegu that didn't want to return to its cage. Lol
    Balls:
    0.1 Calico ph pied - 1.0 Killer bee ph clown -
    0.1 Butter - 1.0 pastel mojave enchi pin - 1.0 Pied
    0.1 Bumble Bee - 0.1 banana - 0.1 Spider mojave
    0.1 citrus sterling - 0.1 Albino - 0.2 yellowbelly
    0.1 Black pastel - 0.1 Spider - 0.1 Pastel Lesser
    0.1 Fire - 0.1 het pied - 0.1 Cinna Bee
    0.1 Spider het ghost - 0.1 Black pastel lesser

Retics:
    0.1 albino - 1.1 Purple
    0.1 Kalatoa Super Dwarf - 0.1 tiger

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pmarks For This Useful Post:

jclaiborne (02-03-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeBalls View Post
    I had my doubts, as I have never heard of them until this post. BUT a giant lizard that acts like a dog? Sign me up
    I will say while mine can be very cool and calm, she also has her moments when she thrashes around and is anything by puppy dog tame. Amazing animals and I wouldn't trade her for the world, but not all will be the calmest animals, to me that is part of the appeal though.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    FROGS
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jasonmcgilvrey83 View Post
    At full grown they will need at least a 8x4x4 cage unless u have an extra beedroom u can turn an enclosure into. U should check out the mcgiver on YouTube. They have a tegu that runs free in the house. If raised right they can be super sweet.
    The only issue I have with that youtube channel is that it would be hard to maintain the correct humidity at all times.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    FROGS
    DOGS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jclaiborne View Post
    Ok, first a tegu is not a monitor, they are very distantly related, second 45 dollars for a blue tegu is unheard of, do you have pictures?
    okay spoke to the guy at the store again and asked him to confirm it was a blue, because i agree the cheapest i had seen before that one was in the high 300's
    he asked who told me it was a blue like i was outta my mind, so no it was a black and white, after researching some more i should have been able to tell the difference immediately. THAT is why he was only 45
    still wanna get one i will have to figure out an enclosure long before though. might just build one. thanks for the response guys

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phil89 View Post
    okay spoke to the guy at the store again and asked him to confirm it was a blue, because i agree the cheapest i had seen before that one was in the high 300's
    he asked who told me it was a blue like i was outta my mind, so no it was a black and white, after researching some more i should have been able to tell the difference immediately. THAT is why he was only 45
    still wanna get one i will have to figure out an enclosure long before though. might just build one. thanks for the response guys
    45 is still pretty cheap how old is it? It is for sure an argentine correct? Yes definately build a cage first, but a very rewarding lizard to keep, lots of patience though
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    FROGS
    DOGS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jclaiborne View Post
    45 is still pretty cheap how old is it? It is for sure an argentine correct? Yes definately build a cage first, but a very rewarding lizard to keep, lots of patience though
    yeah i guess its a sale though, having a tough time selling them. not a whole lot of reptile enthusiasts in my area, most people see my snakes and give me a wide berth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast