Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,395

4 members and 3,391 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question about breeding/selling BPs

I am currently in the (slow) process of building my collection for small time breeding projects. I plan on working with clown and pied combos. My concern is when its time to sell my first snakes i might have a tough time having people send over $1,000+ to somebody with no reputation.I dont plan on being a "breeder" I just cant keep every snake i produce. Should i start by breeding something a little less expensive so I can slowly build a reputation? What have been your experiences with this type of situation?

Thanks
    Hm... It doesn't count as much as having a reputation for being a good breeder, but the fact that you've been on this forum and clearly active in the BP community for several years now based on your profile makes me trust you a lot more (and be willing to pay a bit more) than someone who I just saw putting up for-sale ads. Of course this is in some magical land where I have money for clown-pied BPs.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DVirginiana For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (02-01-2015)

Thanks
    My plans were to start fairly cheap. My first clutch is going to be a lesser bee x normal, and the next two females I'll have ready are a het albino and a cinnamon. I have some nice males and some bigger plans for the future, but it will be some time before I can produce anything that clears the 500$ range. I had the same thought you did about gaining reputation, but I'd be lying if I said my own budget didn't factor into the decision

I also decided to steer away from recessive projects for my start up (I do have the het female, but I haven't got a male to put with her). Mostly a personal choice, but I also had the thought of being an unknown breeder with a group of snakes I'm calling het or poss het and just not being able to get rid of them.

But hey, we all start somewhere, right? I'm taking a cautious route, but any way you go is up to you.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Question about breeding/selling BPs

The way it is done is not by lowering your price but by earning a reputation. Earning a reputation starts by being knowledgeable, getting involved in the heel community and giving sound advice. This will help people to get know and respect you and once you start breeding it will help you with your sales.

How do I know? That is how I got started , I got involved in various online communities back in 2006 and when I hatched my first animals in 2008 people knew who I was already, it helped generate my first sales, and once I had few successful sales it only got easier from the point to build my reputation. I also never had issues selling hets even when I first got started.

Do bottom line get involved NOW

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Eric Alan (02-01-2015),Gerardo (02-01-2015),JMBall's (02-01-2015),PitOnTheProwl (02-01-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Very much agree with Deborah. I would sooner buy from a number of members on this site simply based on reputation alone (regardless of their perceived popularity elsewhere). Coming up on my two year anniversary here and working towards producing my first clutches this year, I'm hoping there are others that share my feelings.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

Mr. Misha (02-01-2015)

Thanks
    Good question OP!

I've been wondering about that myself since I'm going to be focusing on breeding Pieds and will be getting 100% hets out of my clutch. From what I learned so far from the wonderful folks on this forum, I'll provide my buyers with a card that will have a picture of both parents as well the bought snake. If it's a het, then I'll provide a het guarantee.

I think it's very important to be professional and knowledgeable when selling any product so as long as you can do that it shouldn't matter what you're selling.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daigga View Post
    My plans were to start fairly cheap. My first clutch is going to be a lesser bee x normal, and the next two females I'll have ready are a het albino and a cinnamon. I have some nice males and some bigger plans for the future, but it will be some time before I can produce anything that clears the 500$ range. I had the same thought you did about gaining reputation, but I'd be lying if I said my own budget didn't factor into the decision

I also decided to steer away from recessive projects for my start up (I do have the het female, but I haven't got a male to put with her). Mostly a personal choice, but I also had the thought of being an unknown breeder with a group of snakes I'm calling het or poss het and just not being able to get rid of them.

But hey, we all start somewhere, right? I'm taking a cautious route, but any way you go is up to you.
    If you do decide to ever fork out the money on even just a single visual recessive...everything you produce from non het pairings will be 100% het. No guess work. It really cuts down on your odds too. With a visual/het pair you can easily hit a visual your first season as you have a 50% chance instead of a 25% chance. With a visual/2 het trio if you don't hit one visual you have horrible luck. Haha

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    The way it is done is not by lowering your price but by earning a reputation. Earning a reputation starts by being knowledgeable, getting involved in the heel community and giving sound advice. This will help people to get know and respect you and once you start breeding it will help you with your sales.

How do I know? That is how I got started , I got involved in various online communities back in 2006 and when I hatched my first animals in 2008 people knew who I was already, it helped generate my first sales, and once I had few successful sales it only got easier from the point to build my reputation. I also never had issues selling hets even when I first got started.

Do bottom line get involved NOW

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
    Great advice. Try talking to some well respected breeders too. Most of them will readily answere your questions. If they see you have a passion for what you're doing many of these guys and gals will give you their shirt off their backs to help you out. They may offer you the chance of a lifetime too. Transparency is big in this business I think. Be up front about your genetics, take accurate records, keep your animals healthy (no "maintenance" feeding).

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. I currently have a fire 66% het pied female and a clown female. I plan on getting another female clown and a visual pied combo female later this year. When the time comes to get some males they will both be visuals so the only hets i will produce will be from the fire female. I wouldnt feel very comfortable having to many hets starting off. I also have a yellowbelly female that i will be putting with my fire yellowbelly male when she is ready.
    Last edited by Gerardo; 02-01-2015 at 03:58 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gerardo For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (02-01-2015)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Also spend some time at your local reptile shows, just loiter and talk to people.
    AND keep your close circle in mind, is one of them is viewed as the "bad guy" it can rub off on you too.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (02-01-2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast