Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,350

2 members and 3,348 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

What to do with a beardie if your out of town for a couple of days?

Let me first start with I have not gotten a beardie yet. Im still in the process of reading about them and researching the husbandry and needs required to keep a guy good and healthy.

My main concern with a beardie is what to do with them if you go out of town for a couple of days? Through the spring and summer months, I spend at least 1 (occasionally 2) weekends a month (fri-sun sometimes monday) out of town while I compete with my horses. My BPs are pretty self-sustaining as they eat on tuesdays and all my house sitter has to do is check that the thermostat is working.

Ive learned that leos for the most part can be left with several mealworms in a dish for them to eat as they please if you have to leave. Can this be done with beardies or will they need more than just the super or meal worms while I'm gone? What does everyone else do when they go out of town?

Sorry this post was so long. I want to be sure that my research is done before bringing one home. I am not one to purchase an animal on impulse and then decide to rid of it when it becomes too much work. Im in it for the long haul when I bring new babies home. Im also reading into Leopard Geckos too to see if they might be a better fit (even though they dont seem to be near ad snuggly).

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks
    I have had my bearded dragon for 4 year now and if you can't travel with him he will be fine with the dry food for beardeds and plenty if fresh water. Same deal as your Leo's it sounds like. I'll give mine a nice juicy mouse before I leave. Your main concern will be leaving the heat and light unattended for a couple days. You will wand dependable thermostat and heat so you don't cook him with a China made crappy light or heat pad
    my beardie also poops every day he may not as a baby but my guy moved up to a diet with mice added and he started poopin a lot so a spot clean might be something for a house sitter to consider also.

Registered User Daniel.michelle's Avatar
    Thanks
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just put a little extra food in there for him in a bowl, and some water, and possibly find a cheap timer at a hardware store or home store to put the lights on. If you are really worried you could ask a family member, friend or neighbor to feed it on one of the days(leave the food in a bowl or something on top of the tank so all they need to do is put it in.)

if if it's less than 3 days, I feed mine before leaving and as soon as I return, anything longer and I have my friend feed them once or twice.
    Last edited by Daniel.michelle; 01-30-2015 at 08:27 PM.
    Savannah monitor 1.1.40
    Bearded dragon 2.0.0
    Crested gecko 0.0.1
    Leopard gecko 0.1.0
    Mountian horned dragon 0.0.1
    tiger salamander 0.0.1
    ball Python 0.0.1

Thanks

Re: What to do with a beardie if your out of town for a couple of days?

I'm glad to hear that they can be ok for a few days if I'm out of town. As far as lights go, if I decide on a beardie I plan to get a good timer to put the lights on so that he/she has a consistent light cycle.

I'm also a big advocate of thermostats for any hear source. This is something that I've learned with my BPs. I haven't personally had one get burnt but I've seen jar can happen and that's not a chance that in willing to take.

One more question. I know each dragon is different but on average how many super worms or crickets does an adult dragon go through a week?