Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,058

0 members and 3,058 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

BP never uses cool hide

Ok so my little pied girl is up to 386g now and she seems to be heat hog. I got same hides on both sides, The ambient temp on the hot side is 86f, cool side is 83f and her UTH is set to 91f and temp gunned as accurate. Her hides are a bit on the big side but she still loved them. The hot side one is set half on the UTH and half off so she can choose to sit directly on it or off to the side. She pushed all the aspen out of the hot hide and plugged the entrance except for a small hole she uses to come out of and stand up like a cobra when she smells her rat and im opening the top of the cage. My question though the temps are set right yet she doesn't thermoregulate, she just camps that hot side. The only time she really ventures to the cool side is when she decides its time to leave me a present for all those rats I feed her. Anyone else have a BP that loves the higher range? Should bump the hot side temps up a few degrees? She seems fine. She eats like a horse and always wants food. She went from 102g back on Nov 28th to 386g as of today. Some of the weight im sure is poop as she hasn't gone yet. She is friendly and curious when I take her out but otherwise she is perfectly happy to hang out in her hot hide and really only comes out when she smells food, wants to poop or drink water. She has shed twice, the first one was in 2 pieces, the second one was all 1 piece.

Thanks

Re: BP never uses cool hide

Mine thermoregulates often. How often are you feeding her? They will rarely go to cool spot if they are digesting from what I can tell.

Thanks

Do you watch your BP all day constantly? She could thermoregulate while you're not watching.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SRMD For This Useful Post:

se7en (01-30-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts
    To put it bluntly, stop over-thinking it.

As long as you are confident that your temperatures are accurate, your snake can choose for itself how best to meet its needs. It's funny to me how both responses above only refer to thermoregulation as needing to move to a different location, when it doesn't mean that at all. Thermoregulation is nothing more than their ability to keep their body temperature within certain boundaries (they can actually control the flow of their own blood). There isn't a single moment when they aren't thermoregulating. If they need to increase their temperature, they will. If they need to increase their temperature, they will. They're perfectly capable of these things and will do what they need to do to get it done.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

se7en (01-30-2015)

Thanks

Relax

Every snake is a little bit different, yours likes it hot. As long as she is thriving, just enjoy her.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nightrainfalls For This Useful Post:

se7en (01-30-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts

Twice is nice

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Alan View Post
    To put it bluntly, stop over-thinking it.

As long as you are confident that your temperatures are accurate, your snake can choose for itself how best to meet its needs. It's funny to me how both responses above only refer to thermoregulation as needing to move to a different location, when it doesn't mean that at all. Thermoregulation is nothing more than their ability to keep their body temperature within certain boundaries (they can actually control the flow of their own blood). There isn't a single moment when they aren't thermoregulating. If they need to increase their temperature, they will. If they need to increase their temperature, they will. They're perfectly capable of these things and will do what they need to do to get it done.
    I did not know this, thank you for the information!
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.

Thanks

I shall change my initial response to my snakes take advantage of the thermal gradient I provide them by changing location when they see fit.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Good point Tbowman. I do feed her every 4 days since she is still a youngin so maybe that is it. And yes she is thriving. She has gained a ton of weight and length as well as being much more bold than she was from the pet shop. Just weird she doesn't bounce from both sides. My red tail is always bouncing from under her RHP to the cool side. Anyways wasn't really worried about it as much as just wondering.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    My adult has not been in her hide for well over a month.
    She spends most of her time on the cool side. Then pokes her head over in the warm side for a while each day or night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast