Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,299

2 members and 3,297 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

Thread: Need some help!

Thanks

Need some help!

I have a UTH on my tank as well as an infrared lamp on top. I live in Michigan amd my eoom temp doesn't get above 60. My ambient temps have been right where they need to be. Both are on dimmer switches. I am getting a hydropharm tstat in two weeks for the uth.

Is it bad to leave the lamp on 24/7? I turn it down during the day to keep the temps where they need to be. I was reading and it had said it could harm my snake. I got the red light because I was told they couldn't see it and it could be left on at night. I turned it off to see if my tank temps fall too much. I have had it going 24/7 for a week and have had no problems.

Thanks

Re: Need some help!

Quote Originally Posted by earthwormjim View Post
    I have a UTH on my tank as well as an infrared lamp on top. I live in Michigan amd my eoom temp doesn't get above 60. My ambient temps have been right where they need to be. Both are on dimmer switches. I am getting a hydropharm tstat in two weeks for the uth.

Is it bad to leave the lamp on 24/7? I turn it down during the day to keep the temps where they need to be. I was reading and it had said it could harm my snake. I got the red light because I was told they couldn't see it and it could be left on at night. I turned it off to see if my tank temps fall too much. I have had it going 24/7 for a week and have had no problems.
    You could get a ceramic heat lamp, they give off heat but no light.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.

Thanks

Re: Need some help!

I use a blue bulb and dimmer 24/7. It does suck humidity out a little but there are ways to fix that. You are right also they cannot see red or blue light. Lights hurt snakes when they are in a cage with them where they can come into direct contact with it and get burned. No contact+dimmer switch = no problem.

Sent from my Glade Airfreshener ® using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SKO For This Useful Post:

earthwormjim (01-26-2015)