Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,333

5 members and 3,328 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Repticon Dallas Reptile & Exotic Animal Show April 18 & 19, 2015

So excited for Repticon Dallas!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Don't miss all the fun at Repticon Dallas tomorrow!

Thanks
    I am really upset. While at Repticon Dallas, I bought a baby bearded dragon from one of the vendors. EVERYTHING this vendor told me was absolutely wrong about the care of these animals. I was so stupid for listening and trusting these people, without doing my own research. Now I have a baby dragon struggling to live, an inconsolable child, and I'm left feeling like a complete idiot for not doing my research before I bought the reptile. Why on earth would they tell me wrong information?

Thanks

Very upset

I bought a baby bearded dragon from one of the vendors at your show in Dallas. No problems with that vendor. However, when I went to another table to buy a set up tank and supplies, I was given VERY wrong information. Here is a rundown of what happened:

My family and I went to the show to buy a morph ball python for my teenage daughter for her birthday. We did buy a snake, but she also fell in love with one of the baby beardies. So, with no experience under our belt, we bought the animal.

When we went to buy the supplies from another vendor (the previous vendor didn't have habitat set ups), I struck up a conversation with the tall bald guy with a goatee, wearing a black shirt. He seemed very knowledgeable, and gave me lots of 'useful' information. Here is the information that I was given:

1. The best substrate for your baby dragon is the eco block.

WRONG. - After 24 hours of putting the beardie on that substrate, I find out it's one of the worst things I could have put her on. First, she can swallow the substrate and become impacted. Second, it hikes the humidity up too high.

2. "The fact that bearded dragons are a desert animal is a myth. They actually come from a region between a forest and the ocean, and prefer high humidity, between 80%-90%. Yes, he actually said that, and I actually believed it, because hey, I was at a convention with experts, right?

WRONG - They ARE desert animals, and they thrive in almost NO humidity. High humidity can cause respiratory infections.

3. "Feed your beardie superworms"

WRONG - Superworms are great for adult dragons, but NOT babies. They are very hard to digest, and this is what I think has caused my beardie to become very ill.

So, because of my own stupidity (yes, I'm owning up to it, a little bit of internet research could have avoided this), and because of some VERY ill-informed vendor at your show, I have an impacted bearded dragon who probably won't make it through the night, an inconsolable child whose birthday present is dying before her eyes, and a new distrust for your show.

And what's worst (besides the sick animal), is that I can't even get a refund, because the original vendor who sold me the animal did nothing wrong.

I want to know who that vendor was that gave me the bad information. He needs to be set straight, before he sends some other ill-fated animal to their death with a new owner who trusts him because he's supposed to be an expert. I want to know why he lied to me, and if he didn't lie, I need for him to know that every expert I have found since leaving your show (including the veterinarian who charged us $200, and the forum of people online calling for his head) say he is wrong and should NEVER give out advice at your shows anymore.

Thanks

I'm sorry, I should have clarified. It wasn't the original vendor that gave me the bad information. Sorry about that. I posted the email that I sent to the owner to give the full information of what happened.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12