Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,353

4 members and 3,349 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Your opinion please

What's everyone's opinions on either a. Spraying down daily b. a humidifier c. A dripper for humidity, I have a 6 mth old ghost morph bp, and he's on sani chips, I preferred Eco earth but after two tries of it and the ants getting into it we switched him to sani chips.. I worry ab his humidity.. Just wanna make sure it's right

Thanks

Re: Your opinion please

Quote Originally Posted by MegJ View Post
    What's everyone's opinions on either a. Spraying down daily b. a humidifier c. A dripper for humidity, I have a 6 mth old ghost morph bp, and he's on sani chips, I preferred Eco earth but after two tries of it and the ants getting into it we switched him to sani chips.. I worry ab his humidity.. Just wanna make sure it's right
    Make a humidity producer in the tank. I use a plastic container and rip up some paper towels to put in the bottom of it. You have to make sure they are standing up on their side because when you add water to it, it will pull the moisture from the bottom to the top through Capillary Action. make sure that there is a pretty good amount of paper towels in there as well as water. Then place this on the warm side of the tank so that the heat from the lamp will draw the moisture out. Make sure that your screen is covered with aluminum foil so that it will maintain the moisture. You can also mist the bedding in conjunction because those chips absorb a lot of humidity as well.
    1.0 Vanilla (Akeda)
    1.0 Bumblebee (Silas)
    0.1 Albino (Cleo)
    0.1 Lesser Yellowbelly (Cambria)
    0.1 Lesser (Athena)

Thanks

Never thought about that, thanks! And yea I don't love the sani chips for that reason but the ants love everything else and I'd rather have to spray daily then worry ab him being covered in ants!! Thanks again

Thanks
    I use a humidifier for the room during winter and spray-bottles to tweak the humidity if someone needs it higher than the ambient.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I tried a dripper once and it did very little for me and I stopped using it.

I usually mist the tanks that need a boost.

Something that I do that really helps give me perfect sheds is place moss in the hides. I keep the moss moist during a shed and allow it to dry out when not in shed before making it moist again. This creates higher humidity directly where the snake spends most of its time and therefore benefits the snake directly.

I just use moss from the pet store. It last a long time and can be cleaned a few times before needing replacing.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    Something that I do that really helps give me perfect sheds is place moss in the hides. I keep the moss moist during a shed and allow it to dry out when not in shed before making it moist again. This creates higher humidity directly where the snake spends most of its time and therefore benefits the snake directly.
    I x2 what KMG said, Have a hide specifically for being really humid.
    Last edited by SRMD; 01-22-2015 at 06:43 AM.
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reed12321 View Post
    Make a humidity producer in the tank. I use a plastic container and rip up some paper towels to put in the bottom of it. You have to make sure they are standing up on their side because when you add water to it, it will pull the moisture from the bottom to the top through Capillary Action. make sure that there is a pretty good amount of paper towels in there as well as water. Then place this on the warm side of the tank so that the heat from the lamp will draw the moisture out. Make sure that your screen is covered with aluminum foil so that it will maintain the moisture. You can also mist the bedding in conjunction because those chips absorb a lot of humidity as well.
    I took your idea and modified it by rolling up the paper towels:

This provides a lot of surface area for the water to evaporate off. Secondary feature is that I've seen the snake curled around the plastic container, using it to cool down.
    If using this method I suggest changing the water and towel and cleaning the bowl daily to keep it all clean.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I have the same problem, I solved it by covering 50% of my screen top with plexiglass, and run a reptifog fogger on a timer every 4 hours, and i always keep moss under all his hides, which i lightly mist during sheds. So far so good. The humidity in my house is only 15-20%. Its so dry right now, sometimes i wish i could crawl into the viv and live with him.

Thanks

Simple Methods To Raise Humidity

1. Put a air stone hooked up to an aquarium air pump in your water dish. Run the pipe from the pump, through the side of the enclosure.

2. Get a tupperware container, punch holes in the lid and then put an aquarium heater in the container and put the lid on.

3. Block off some of you ventilation (use common sense here)

David