Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,249

3 members and 3,246 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    BPnet Senior Member Bluebonnet Herp's Avatar
    Thanks

Carbondale, PA about to have a tough time: Fear driven legislation

Article Link with Video: http://wnep.com/2015/01/14/72-snakes...y-zoning-laws/

72 Snakes Tangle City Zoning Laws

CARBONDALE — The city of Carbondale is trying to make sense of a menagerie at a home in the city.

Nearly 90 pets, including 72 snakes, were discovered by city officials this month.

All those animals may not be against the rules, so the mayor is wondering if the rules should change.

Carbondale city officials said employees for the Area Agency on Aging asked them to check out the home this month. That’s when they discovered nine cats, a dog, a turtle, a rabbit, two geckos, a parrot, and 72 snakes.

That prompted Carbondale’s mayor and code enforcement officer to wonder how many pets is too many? And should the city have a say in it?

Inside a tall stack of plastic containers are 72 snakes carefully counted by a Lackawanna County humane officer and Carbondale’s code enforcement officer Chris Pezak.

“It’s the first time we’ve run into something since I’ve been here, and yes, it’s puzzling. We don’t know what our next step is,” Pezak said.

Pezak said an employee from the Area Agency on Aging alerted Carbondale to the collection of snakes that also share the home with 15 other animals and two people.

The humane officers said most of the pets appeared healthy.

But Carbondale Mayor Justin Taylor wonders if having nearly 90 animals in a home is safe. He said that the dozens of snakes fall through a loophole in Carbondale’s zoning and code laws.

“It appears we do not have an ordinance on point here for 72 snakes. We have a number of ordinances that talk about what animals are domesticated and what are not. And, of course, domesticated animals are obviously allowed. Even with that, you get into, what’s a reasonable number?” said Mayor Taylor.

The snake case fell on the mayor’s desk at the same time city employees started handing out dog licenses. That’s why Becky Galay**** came to city hall. She shivered at the thought of 72 snakes.

“I think the law should change, you know, something should be done. That’s a lot of pets, especially in a city where there’s really no land. I mean, there’s land, but not a lot of it depending on where this is at,” Galay**** said.

Since there’s nothing on the books in Carbondale stating how many pets is too many, Pezak is investigating whether all the snakes may be for sale. That would violate zoning laws.

“We’re looking at all different options. The reasons even why. Is someone breeding them for profit? Are they selling them? Are they considered pets? Again, like you said, it’s a gray area,” said Pezak.

Pezak and Mayor Taylor said the collection of snakes may set a precedent in Carbondale. The mayor said he will work with the city’s zoning solicitor and city council to see if they can write an ordinance limiting the amount of animals someone can have in their home.

For now though, the owner of the snakes is not facing any criminal charges or repercussions from the city.
    From what I've been told, the great folks at USARK have contacted city officials already.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bluebonnet Herp For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (01-20-2015),se7en (01-24-2015)

Thanks
    It bothers me in a weird way that they don't mention what kind of snakes.

"Too many" should be defined by the maximum number of animals you can keep healthy, in my opinion. As far as snake keeping goes that number is fairly high, but that isn't a bad thing. Also it could be argued that the snakes are part of a home business, and aren't really considered pets (Therefore they should not count as part of the "number of pets" tally), and since that business is likely based out of somewhere else (I keep them here, I sell them elsewhere) I don't think it can be attacked by zoning laws. You wouldn't penalize someone who owns an electronic repair shop for bringing a broken computer home with them, would you? Same basic principle.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daigga For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (01-24-2015),lawnchaircrisis (01-25-2015),se7en (01-24-2015)

Thanks
    Just stumbled upon this news article. First off, how did they discover the snakes? Either way, though, I hate that people with no knowledge are already passing fear-based judgement

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jadab123 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (01-24-2015)

Thanks
    More than likely a retired couple that allowed a busy body social worker in their home. They didn't break the law, the animals are care for, but politicians being politicians, and the news being the news, just leaving them the F alone apparently isn't an option. It is true "I'm from the government and I'm here to help" are the 9 most terrifying words in the English language.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alucard0822 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (01-24-2015),Bluebonnet Herp (01-27-2015),se7en (01-24-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 711 Posts

Re: Carbondale, PA about to have a tough time: Fear driven legislation

Quote Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
    It is true "I'm from the government and I'm here to help" are the 9 most terrifying words in the English language.
    indeed

Thanks
    Great i live in the great commonwealth of pennsyltucky. They want to be able to tax him. Hes probably one of the breeders at a local expo we have every other weekend in cheswick pa. Our local municipalities are greedy and get away with rediculous things. "Commonwealth" not a state

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kris Mclaughlin For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (01-27-2015)