Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,078

0 members and 3,078 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397

Thread: Mice to rats

Thanks

Mice to rats

Any advice on switching a BP from mice to rats? I've heard rats are better for them and want to switch mine over. I got a rat scented like a mouse and she wanted nothing to do with it. It just stressed her out. Any advice to help her switch?

Thanks
    I would start with a rat that is the same size as her usual mouse or even a little smaller and feed it exactly how she is used to being fed the mice. That way, she will not be scared off by larger sized prey and will likely be more hungry and willing to accept it the next time you present her with a rat. Then work up in size once rat-eating has become a regular thing for her. That is what has worked best for me.
    ~Wendy~

RepStylin®

Reptile Collection: Amazon Tree Boas, Ball Pythons, Boa Constrictors, Brazilian Rainbow Boas, Carpet Pythons, Chondro, Corn Snakes, King Snakes, Milk Snakes and a Retic. Too many morphs to list anymore!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts

Re: Mice to rats

A individual who goes by the name skiploder, just posted an excellent thread titled:Let's Discuss Dietary Requirements for Ball Pythons. I suggest you read this before you take any further action.

Thanks

Re: Mice to rats

Again not an expert I only have 1 snake and that only for a few months, but we did get him successfully swithched. We waited until after a shed. After missing 4 feedings (mice evey on mon and fri) he was hungary enough he didn't seem to notice the difference untill he had it wrapped up, and at that point he didn't much care. He did start to release it before it was all the way dead and his reaction to it beginning twitch again was rather funny. He did consder and smell it for longer then normal after he relased it. I was a bit worried he wouldn't swollow it, but he finnally did ad hasn't looked back.