Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,256

2 members and 3,254 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Thought I'd better introduce myself as things seem to be a bit shaky .

Quote Originally Posted by jclaiborne View Post
    I was bored so I spent about 5 minutes flipping through some of the posts you have made and already see why things are a "bit shakey". Everyone has already pointed it out to you so there is no need to dive into that anymore, but honestly this thread that you created seems like you are looking for people to go "aww he really is a nice guy" etc. Anyone can create a thread and apologize/justify their actions. A change in attitude will speak louder than you talking about yourself. Just my 2 cents.
    Actually, if he's somewhat socially inept (due to his autism) as he stated in the first post (I am too, for similar/the same reasons) then I can vouch that when you get yourself into a social situations that become too hot for you to handle, and have anxiety over it, sometimes the only thing you can think to do is apologize. It sounds like he experienced anxiety over the reaction to his F/T thread. It's not easy to know how to 'do the right thing' in social situations when you view the world/function very differently from most people. I can't speak for him, but in my situation, there isn't a social que that naturally makes sense -- it was something I had to work very hard to learn and have to think about very hard to know how to react to. Most social norms/situations absolutely are baffling. When you upset people, you don't always know why or what it is you did, but you do feel bad and you don't want to upset people.

I apologize constantly to people. I often say or do 'abnormal' things in a social situation, or state a bold opinion with bluntness that's considered rude, and by the time it's over and people have forgotten/gotten over it...I haven't, and I blurt out an apology that makes it way more awkward. Sometimes I apologize for that apology.

I agree with your point, actions speak louder than words, but this post might be sincere albeit awkward, and not a ploy for attention or forgiveness. Saying sorry is also awkward, it'd probably be easier for him to just leave and go to a different forum. I feel like apologizing and showing interest in people not being angry with him is probably a fairly sincere gesture. He also wanted suggestions, and seemed interested in feedback as to why people felt the way they did. It takes cojones to open yourself up knowing you might get torn apart for it.

If I thought he was just a jerk I wouldn't have even bothered to reply to this thread (if he was just a jerk I'm not sure he would have bothered to post it). But when someone doesn't innately do very well in social situations explaining what they did that was upsetting is key for improvement. And he asked, because if he's anything like me, sometimes you have to ask to know. Much of what I've learned came from awkward asking.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Running Elk For This Useful Post:

AmandaJ (04-09-2015),anicatgirl (04-09-2015),Creepy Alien (02-21-2016),Zincubus (02-28-2016)

Thanks
    But that putting the world 'live' in all caps though. Ugh, that drives me nuts for come reason.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Thought I'd better introduce myself as things seem to be a bit shaky .

Quote Originally Posted by Running Elk View Post
    But that putting the world 'live' in all caps though. Ugh, that drives me nuts for come reason.

My reason for capitalising 'live' was just to highlight the 'act' to be honest . The recent thread " Mouse bit my snake " has some interesting comments in it . Considering it is apparently so safe and natural and risk free it's kinda odd how many seem quite at ease giving out advice on how to treat the bites on the snake - almost as though these things are common place. Quite a few gory stories surfaced in there , just a pity they didn't contribute to the live feeding threads I was struggling in , I'm guessing peer pressure .
    Last edited by Zincubus; 04-09-2015 at 03:23 AM. Reason: edit

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Running Elk View Post
    Actually, if he's somewhat socially inept (due to his autism) as he stated in the first post (I am too, for similar/the same reasons) then I can vouch that when you get yourself into a social situations that become too hot for you to handle, and have anxiety over it, sometimes the only thing you can think to do is apologize. It sounds like he experienced anxiety over the reaction to his F/T thread. It's not easy to know how to 'do the right thing' in social situations when you view the world/function very differently from most people. I can't speak for him, but in my situation, there isn't a social que that naturally makes sense -- it was something I had to work very hard to learn and have to think about very hard to know how to react to. Most social norms/situations absolutely are baffling. When you upset people, you don't always know why or what it is you did, but you do feel bad and you don't want to upset people.

I apologize constantly to people. I often say or do 'abnormal' things in a social situation, or state a bold opinion with bluntness that's considered rude, and by the time it's over and people have forgotten/gotten over it...I haven't, and I blurt out an apology that makes it way more awkward. Sometimes I apologize for that apology.

I agree with your point, actions speak louder than words, but this post might be sincere albeit awkward, and not a ploy for attention or forgiveness. Saying sorry is also awkward, it'd probably be easier for him to just leave and go to a different forum. I feel like apologizing and showing interest in people not being angry with him is probably a fairly sincere gesture. He also wanted suggestions, and seemed interested in feedback as to why people felt the way they did. It takes cojones to open yourself up knowing you might get torn apart for it.

If I thought he was just a jerk I wouldn't have even bothered to reply to this thread (if he was just a jerk I'm not sure he would have bothered to post it). But when someone doesn't innately do very well in social situations explaining what they did that was upsetting is key for improvement. And he asked, because if he's anything like me, sometimes you have to ask to know. Much of what I've learned came from awkward asking.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to write all that ! It's a wonderful post and very insightful .

Thanks
    Well I offered my advice simply as what I know to treat any snake wounds. Mine has never been hurt by a feeder. But I also make sure I know how to deal with injuries before they happen.
    0.1 Lesser Pastel

Black Spooky Kitty
    0.1 Faye Tiny Kitty

?.?
    Feral Cat Colony

And more on the way always....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anicatgirl View Post
    Well I offered my advice simply as what I know to treat any snake wounds. Mine has never been hurt by a feeder. But I also make sure I know how to deal with injuries before they happen.
    Funnily enough I was actually thinking of a couple of the other contributors , one mentioned that he's treated many other far worse bites than the one shown ....... it's very wise to be prepared as you are .

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    The recent thread " Mouse bit my snake " has some interesting comments in it . Considering it is apparently so safe and natural and risk free it's kinda odd how many seem quite at ease giving out advice on how to treat the bites on the snake - almost as though these things are common place. Quite a few gory stories surfaced in there , just a pity they didn't contribute to the live feeding threads I was struggling in , I'm guessing peer pressure .
    If you reread the first post in that thread you'll see that the OP was not monitoring the feed very closely. Besides this, that bite is about the equivalent of a skinned knee on a kid. Just because you treat something doesn't make it a life threatening catastrophe. Superficial damage that heals completely after a few sheds doesn't much count in my book.

Now, pictures like that would make acceptable ammunition for your anti-live campaigns. At least it's a "wound" that occurred during a feeding time strike unlike your last choice. Just have to find a way to spin this out of proportion and make it seem like that snake is on death's door.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

jclaiborne (04-09-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    My reason for capitalising 'live' was just to highlight the 'act' to be honest . The recent thread " Mouse bit my snake " has some interesting comments in it . Considering it is apparently so safe and natural and risk free it's kinda odd how many seem quite at ease giving out advice on how to treat the bites on the snake - almost as though these things are common place. Quite a few gory stories surfaced in there , just a pity they didn't contribute to the live feeding threads I was struggling in , I'm guessing peer pressure .
    It's only interesting because you can find something that fits your agenda. So do you really care about the snake that got a small nibble or because you think you can take advantage of it to score imaginary internet points?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Foxton For This Useful Post:

jclaiborne (04-09-2015)

Thanks

Thought I'd better introduce myself as things seem to be a bit shaky .

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    If you reread the first post in that thread you'll see that the OP was not monitoring the feed very closely. Besides this, that bite is about the equivalent of a skinned knee on a kid. Just because you treat something doesn't make it a life threatening catastrophe. Superficial damage that heals completely after a few sheds doesn't much count in my book.

Now, pictures like that would make acceptable ammunition for your anti-live campaigns. At least it's a "wound" that occurred during a feeding time strike unlike your last choice. Just have to find a way to spin this out of proportion and make it seem like that snake is on death's door.
    It's nothing to do with spinning anything out of proportion I was just passing an opinion on the various posts in the thread .... We could say that you are actually making light of the situation if we are playing that game . If I did want to add fuel to the fire I could have posted something provocative but I refrained from doing that very thing , as I promised I wouldn't get involved in any live feeding discussions . Incidentally , there's also a post mentioning many , worse bites to a keeper's snakes and there's another post describing the many varying injuries seen caused by rodent bites.

If I'm being totally honest , I'm still bemused by the whole live feeding thing ..... experienced people worry about their snakes , what and when to feed , where best to feed , the humidity and temperature levels , the substrate , the amount of room they have and even types of lighting etc etc etc .

So we all go through all this trouble and worry to keep out precious animals healthy and happy and then some go and drop a live , proven killing machine ( adult rat ) who's going to fight for it's life INTO an enclosed area WITH the snake .
    Last edited by Zincubus; 04-09-2015 at 06:55 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton View Post
    It's only interesting because you can find something that fits your agenda. So do you really care about the snake that got a small nibble or because you think you can take advantage of it to score imaginary internet points?
    Well if you'd read my previous posts you'd see that I promised to not get involved in any more live feeding debates as this forum as obviously this isn't the place to discuss such sensitive matters . I absolutely care about the health of the snake , that's my main priority, it was just lucky that it took a lump out of it's side rather than puncturing one of its eyes which was just as possible.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast