Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,297

4 members and 3,293 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Does he look ok? Still hasn't shed ??

Soak in a closed Sterilite tub, with barely lukewarm water, as mentioned above for about 30 minutes or so. Then get a hand towel wet, Lukewarm again, and let your snake run through it a several times.
    0.1 Desert Yellowbelly BP | 0.1 Yellowbelly BP
    0.1 Pastel BP | 1.0 Super Pastel BP
    0.1 Champagne Het Hypo BP | 0.1 Spider BP
    0.1 Lesser BP | 0.1 Pinstripe BP
    1.0 Caramel Albino BP
    1.0 Butter BP | 1.0 Pied BP
    1.0 Cinna Bee BP | 1.0 Albino BP,
    2.1 normal BP's
    2.1 Western Hognose Het albino | 1.0 Western Hognose Albino Het Axanthic
    1.0 Anaconda phase Western Hognose
    1.0 BCI Boa |0.1 Hypo Het Snow Boa
    0.1 Hypo Boa | ​0.1 Hogg Island Boa
    0.1 Striped Borneo Short Tailed Python
    0.0.1 Jayapura GTP

Thanks

Right I will go with that , I will put him in the bath tomoro. Although I never stated my humidity is unstable as it isn't .... Obviously there will be a change in humidity levels from the warm end to the cool end, as the heated end will have less! My humidity reading is in the cool end and has always been around 50-60% so is that not high enough ? Raising it to around 80% during this shed period most days has not helped so it seems. I know the heat lowers the humidity but I didn't think my humidity was low?
    I have to use overhead heat in the form of ceramic as a heat mat does not create a warm enough enclosure.

Thanks
    If you are using a UTH on thermostat for a hot spot you should be able to keep the rest of the enclosure at 80-83 degree's.. should help with humidity and from 1 end being dryer then the other. Looks like you are using paper as substrate maybe switch to something like eco earth and cypress multch to help with the humidity, please explain your setup how your heating and such to help provent this..

Thanks

I'm using a heat panel reptile radiator on the roof, I tried a plastic tub with heat mat when I first brought him home, the hotspot was fine but ambient temps were around 70f so I don't know how anybody can get 80f+ as an ambient temp with only a heat mat unless you have a heated reptile room! Which unfortunately I don't have. So I quickly moved him to a wooden viv to improve temps.

Thanks
    Well i use a T-8 with 11" flexwatt in the middle and 2 40w RHP.. so hot spot is set to 92 on my herpstat to get 90, then the RHP make the rest around 78-82 and i have to keep the room at 71-74 degrees

Thanks
    I honestly think if you change ur bedding to a eco earth/cypress mulch mix it would help out.. i used to use this mix in my 20x12x12 glass tank with a 75w red light on the top and have got perfect sheds out of it, still need to mist and stuff once the bedding starts drying out

Thanks

So you still use overheat heat then to create your ambients , not heat mat on its own! I don't see the point in using two types of heat , if I need overhead heat for ambients then I may as well use that as my sole heat source....
    I will change my substrate if that's the answer although if I get the recommended 50-60% already why do I have an issue with humidity ??

Thanks
    because your using overhead heat to make your hot spot... thats heating the all that air in that area up to that temp.. and drying it out faster. i use the UTH to get the 90 hot spot and keep the rest of the air at 80 so its not drying out as fast.. thats why i use 2 sources of heat, but you dont see the point of doing soo thats why your in the situation your in.. there is something wrong with your husbandry that you need to address or this will keep happening.. if you dont want to use to heat sources then mist 2-3 times a day, run a fogger, keep a humidifier going in the room because thats your problem is the humidity

Thanks

My ambient temps range from 86 down to 76 with a hotspot of 93 so I don't see how my ambients are causing less humidity? Unless I'm missing the point?
    If I use a heat mat aswell how will I be better off? As the overhead heat will still be required at the same power to provide my current ambients which are correct, as the heat mat will do nothing for air temps?
    Im more confused than ever! My humidity reading is within range as far as I have researched....

Thanks
    Basically your overhead heat dries up the air on the side its on decreasing humidity very rapidly. If you want equal amount of humidity overall in the tank, loose the overhead heat. But loosing that means you loose your current ambient temp, which is why I would recommend using heat tape instead on the cool side or middle to keep your ambient temps that you would have with a overhead heater. Bp's dont need light anyway's. I went through the same issue with humidity having to mist all the time, it was my lighting lamp causing too much heat drying up the tank, so I got an alternative way of heating up the overall tank to keep ambient temps in the 80's without killing humidity on one side.

But stuck shed for 11 days, there is no question in my mind that it is a humidity issue, its just too dry it cant slide off the bp properly. Maybe your bp hangs out more on the side with the overhead lamp, which means humidity in that area is dryer, not "Bad levels" for a bp but possibly too low levels for a shed cycle. Normally My tank is 70-80 percent overall (all sides of the tank) for shed cycle and my sheds come off perfect.
    Last edited by Borgpython; 01-10-2015 at 08:09 PM.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast