Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,278

1 members and 3,277 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

First time python owner!

So I got a baby pastel python on 12/24/14, the guy I got him from said he ate the day before and shed the week before I got him. I got his 20gal tank set up and I let him settle for about a week. Well he hasn't eaten or had any interest in eating since I've gotten him.. And is also showing signs of shedding, bluish tint and dulling skin, so I figured that's why he's not eating? Then the last couple days I've noticed he's extremely active, moving around throughout the whole day. The temps on the cool are about 75 and temps on the warm is about 90, he's got a hide on both sides, always has fresh water and I try keeping the humidity around 50-60, but often drops to 40.

Thanks
    What I do when I get a new bp is let it settle in. What I mean by that is dont handle him until he's had his first meal.. Once he's had his first meal, wait the 24-48 hrs then get him out and handle him for 5-10 minutes everyday until next feeding day comes.. It may or may not work for you. But that's what I do and it works for me.

Try live, try frozen thawed, try mice, try rats. I have one that I just got 3 weeks ago and I noticed if I throw the rat in her tub she will ignore it but if I teas her with it and nudge her snout with the rat she gets it..

Dont worry too much if he doesn't eat right away. I had one go 8 months without eating then bam out of no where she ate and has been eating regularly since.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If it is a baby what you want is to re-create an environment as close as possible to what was provided in the past, and the key is secure cramped enclosure.

Hatchling are usually kept in 6 quarts tubs, juvy in 12 quarts tub so depending on his size I would suggest , that, plus aspen bedding which allows the snake to bury itself, temps no higher than 86/88 on the warm side (for the 6 quart tub), 1 or 2 6 inches plastic flower pot saucers as hides or small plastic bowls (dependds on the size of the snake, but you want the hide to be tight around it's body)

No handling for a week, offer a live mouse (size being equal the girth size) just drop it in the enclosure and give the animal privacy 15 min later if un-eaten remove the prey.

Your snake is very active because he is stressed (large enclosure being the probable number one stress factor) and stress leads to food refusal.

Finally not sure how you are getting your reading but make sure you do with a digital thermometer as dial are very inaccurate.

And while some suggest it's ok not to worry there is a difference between an animal of good body weight fasting for months and a baby, babies are voracious and if they are not in 99% of the case it's an husbandry issue.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 01-09-2015 at 06:17 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: First time python owner!

Quote Originally Posted by Redlude92 View Post
    What I do when I get a new bp is let it settle in. What I mean by that is dont handle him until he's had his first meal.. Once he's had his first meal, wait the 24-48 hrs then get him out and handle him for 5-10 minutes everyday until next feeding day comes.. It may or may not work for you. But that's what I do and it works for me.

Try live, try frozen thawed, try mice, try rats. I have one that I just got 3 weeks ago and I noticed if I throw the rat in her tub she will ignore it but if I teas her with it and nudge her snout with the rat she gets it..

Dont worry too much if he doesn't eat right away. I had one go 8 months without eating then bam out of no where she ate and has been eating regularly since.

Ohkay, so can I try to feed him even though he may be starting to shed?

Thanks

Re: First time python owner!

I apologize, I forgot you mentioned he was in shed. I'd wait for him to be done with the shedding process before attempting to fee again.

What I do if my snakes are having a hard time shedding is get a tupper ware container with small holes in it so it can breathe and put a couple of wet paper towels in it then put the snake in it, put the lid on it and place it in his enclosure. I'd leave it for 12 to 24 hours and check on him periodically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Redlude92 For This Useful Post:

DJayyJade101 (01-09-2015)