Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,623

1 members and 2,622 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397

Thread: Vet

Thanks

Vet

So I just got back from my new reptile vet, and wanted to share the experience and perhaps compare with others to see what they're paying. I recently moved and was looking for an exotic vet, and this was the closest one within an hour driving distance. He had a lot of positive reviews on Yelp, and he'd been in business for 25 years, so I figured I'd give him a shot. When I called to make the appointment I was pretty upset to find out they didn't have an opening for nearly three weeks. I wasn't particularly worried about my snake, I was pretty sure I knew what was wrong with her, but I still wanted to be seen within three to four days. The receptionist explained they were booked solid, but put me on hold while she talked to the vet. She got back on the line and then asked for my cell number. She said the doctor was very busy, but he would call me back later to discuss our options. She said the call would be after hours.

I got a call around 8:15 that night from the vet. He asked me a number of very pointed questions, asked me to text him a picture of the problem (it was a tiny abscess on the side of her neck that I was pretty sure was from a mouse I had fed her), and he confirmed that my guess it was an abscess from a bite was probably correct. He asked me if she was still eating, drinking, and behaving normally, and when I assured him yes, he said he didn't think the problem was emergent and that in his opinion the appt could wait until he had an opening, but if I was dead set on getting in sooner he'd recommend several vets. I went ahead and decided to wait. Over the past two and a half weeks his receptionists have called twice to check on my girl's progress and make sure she was still eating, drinking, and behaving normally, and to ensure the abscess hadn't grown. I assured them it hadn't. Please keep in mind at this point I'm a first time client and haven't even given them any money yet.

So this morning I head in for my appt. I have to admit I was not impressed with the facility when I drove up. It's been there for 25 years, and quite frankly, it looked it. The inside was better. Very clean, but things certainly looked dated. I then proceeded to fill out the most extensive reptile history paperwork ever! Seriously, he had questions about how long I'd had the snake, how long I'd had snakes to begin with, my girl's hatch date, substrate, humidity levels, winter temps, day/night temps, water change, last bred (she's a hatchling so I put NA). You name it and it was on there. That comforted me. Obviously he has some experience with reptiles.

I was a little miffed that I had to wait out front for 30 minutes before being shown into a room. The front office is teeny tiny, but I guess that was so they could fit 6 exam rooms. As soon was we were shown into the exam room my snake was quickly weighed by a tech before she left without a word. I was further miffed when I was in there for another 25 minutes before the vet came in, and when he did come in I was very unsure of him. He didn't talk to me. Just introduced himself and shook my hand. That was it he said nothing else until the very end of the exam. I found him very standoffish. He then gave my snake a complete examination. Listened to her heart, checked her entire body length, mouth, everything. He then inspected what we both assumed to be an abscess for several minutes before confirming it was nothing to worry over. He then handed the snake back to me and left the room. Again saying nothing. Just left. I was again left to wait another 20 minutes before he came back, and at this point I was mad. I felt he had a very dismissive attitude, and I was upset at the long wait.

Now here is where things change. When he came back in he had several bags and sheets of paper, and the supplies to drain the abscess. At this point he takes my snake and begins explaining to me how to recognize one of these abscess apart from something more serious, and then very slowly shows me how to drain it. He then gives me the sheets with instructions on how to recognize and abscess and how to drain it. With pictures. Then he hands me a bag with several vials in it and tells me it's the antibiotic and it needs to be taken orally. He told me to give it to her once a day for five days, but then informed me he'd given me enough antibiotics for 30 days along with 10 extra syringes. He then hands me another bag with about 10 individually packaged and sterilized needles in it, and tells me he assumes I breed balls from the answers on my information sheets, and that in the future I can drain these abscesses myself with the needles and just give them the antibiotics if I need to. He told me that what he gave me should stay good for a year as long as I keep it in the fridge, but if I run out to come back in and he'll set me up for about a $20 restock fee.

He then explained again on how to drain the abscess if it filled up again, made me repeat it back to him, made me repeat the medication instructions, and then cautioned me if I ever tried to drain one and the liquid wasn't clear then I needed to call him and bring that snake in because it could be more serious than a simple bite abscess. He then told me if I wasn't comfortable draining them myself to make an appt and he'll drain them for free. He then nodded his head at me and walked out of the room. I was a little stunned. I went to check out and I was even more stunned that the entire bill was only $55! Seriously! That included the $10 new client fee.

I now understand why he has such a long wait period to get in to see him. He obviously has a very dedicated client base. He is my new vet for all of my animals! Yeah, he might not be the most personable, and his building could definitely need a remodel, but he's a very good vet, and he's obviously in it for the love of the animals and not the money. And he taught me a valuable lesson. Don't be too hasty to judge.

Here's the bill:

New Client: $10
    Exotic animal Exam: $18
    Abscess drain: $15
    Orbax Antibiotic liquid: $12

So I was wondering if anyone else has a totally awesome vet like this!
    2.4 Piebalds
    1.3 Albino het pied
    0.1 Pied het albino
    0.1 Killer Pied
    0.2 Savannah Pewter 66% het pied
    0.1 Vanishing Sterling het pied
    0.2 Cinnamon het pied
    1.0 Pastave het pied
    1.0 Spider het VPI Axanthic
    0.1 Pastel het VPI Axanthic
    1.0 Pastel Clown
    0.3 het Clown
    0.1 Piebald poss het albino
    0.2 Het Piebald
    2.5 Albino
    0.1 Het Albino
    1.0 Lavender Albino
    0.1 Pinstripe Lavender Albino
    0.2 het Lavender Albino
    0.2 Enchi
    1.1 Killerbee
    1.1 Spinnerblast
    0.1 Spider Het Albino
    1.2 Spider
    0.3 Pastel
    0.3 Super Pastel
    0.1 Super Pastel Lesser
    0.1 Pastel het pied
    0.3 Lesser
    0.1 Mojave
    1.2 Bumblebee
    0.1 Bumblebee Het Caramel Albino
    1.1 Lesserbee
    0.1 Enchibee
    0.2 Pinstripe
    1.0 Kingpin
    0.3 Normals

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    And who and where would this be??

Thanks

Re: Vet

Southridge Animal Hospital, Denton, Texas. Dr. Jones.

Treats all kinds of animals. From horses, to snakes, to parrots, to pigs.
    2.4 Piebalds
    1.3 Albino het pied
    0.1 Pied het albino
    0.1 Killer Pied
    0.2 Savannah Pewter 66% het pied
    0.1 Vanishing Sterling het pied
    0.2 Cinnamon het pied
    1.0 Pastave het pied
    1.0 Spider het VPI Axanthic
    0.1 Pastel het VPI Axanthic
    1.0 Pastel Clown
    0.3 het Clown