Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,423

1 members and 3,422 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User lawnchaircrisis's Avatar
    Thanks

Hyperactive Snake Problem?

So my male BP (Kahlua) has been acting nuts, and I cannot figure out why. He is super hyperactive in his tank- ALL THE TIME! I've never seen this from a bp before, because usually they're pretty chill. He never goes in his hide, although he know's it's there and pretty spends most of the day and night slinking around his tank and trying to push the lid off. The few times I have seen him rest are either in his water dish or on top of his hide. He also stopped eating and has no interest in his food.

The temperature and humidity in both the room and the tank are perfect, although I have tried raising and lowering them at different times to see if it helped. It didn't

Background info:
    I had bought him in May with a female, and they had been living together their entire lives, so I kept them together in a large 55 gallon tank. Finally in late November I sold her because they had started locking up and I wasn't ready for eggs. At that point I moved most of my other ball pythons into another building for convenience, and Kahlua was the only one who stayed in my room, because he's my spoiled, pampered pet. I moved him into a different (slightly smaller tank) after I had completely cleaned and sterilized it, and he's been acting nuts ever since.

Is this normal? Should I be concerned?

Conclusions:

A. There is something wrong with the way his tank is set up, and it's causing him deep turmoil
    B. Because it's breeding season and he's crazy in the mood
    C. He's lonely and cannot sleep until he find a lovely lady to share his tank with again
    D. He wants us to spend more time together
    E. The tank still smells like the last male that lived in there and it's send him into a rage
    F. Life in Pennsylvania is boring and he needs an adventure

Help?
    1.0 Mojave "Kahlua"
    1.1 het VPI Axanthic "Martini & Mai Tai"

1.0 Great Dane dog "Kryptonite"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts
    Do you have a picture of your setup? Sounds kind of unusual to me. I mean, some cruising the tank is cool, but non stop and not eating is a little worrisome.

Could have something to do with breeding season, could have something to do with the enclosure.

I doubt its the smell of the enclosure if you cleaned it.

Your list is funny. lol E. All of the above? lol
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Thanks! Here's a picture of his setup right now. I use a infrared lamp to heat the tank, which keeps a nice temperature gradiant with the center of the tank being the warmer basking spot, and the edges being slightly cooler. There's also a humidifier on the floor. He was actually sitting still for me to take the picture, which is unusual.

Since this is his first time being in a tank alone, I'm wondering if he is looking for another snake. I rescued him along with the female he lived with because the guy who owned them wasn't feeding them enough and they were starving. So he was used to living with her for the past two years.
    1.0 Mojave "Kahlua"

Thanks

Re: Hyperactive Snake Problem?

The first thing that jumps out at me is the hide. It looks way too big for him. Maybe try getting some smaller ones that touch him on all sides. 2 identical hides would be splendid.

You can also add in some fake plants or crumpled paper for cover. Covering the back and sides of the tank with paper or foam core would also be a good idea.

I think his main issue is security. Not missing having another snake. I don't think they really care that much lol.

Do you have any thermometers in there?
    ~Steffe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

lawnchaircrisis (01-08-2015)

Thanks

Thanks, I will try all of that and see if it helps.

I do have two thermometers in there. One on the ground in the middle by the driftwood thing and one on the side behind the hide
    1.0 Mojave "Kahlua"

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...=1#post2308840

My post is long and full of hot air, but it should give you enough to go on.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

lawnchaircrisis (01-08-2015)

Thanks

AHHHH!!!! I have spent the day following all and every suggestion that has been made, and it has made absolutely no difference. He has a smaller hide, more stuff in his tank to hide or burrow in, a sheet wrapped around 3 sides for more privacy and I checked and double checked that the substrate was clean, there was no scent/odor in the tank. But yet he is still not happy!

He's fine and happy when he's out with me, but as soon as I put him back in he's miserable and trying to escape. I feel horrible
    1.0 Mojave "Kahlua"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    The first thing that jumps out at me is the hide. It looks way too big for him. Maybe try getting some smaller ones that touch him on all sides. 2 identical hides would be splendid.

You can also add in some fake plants or crumpled paper for cover. Covering the back and sides of the tank with paper or foam core would also be a good idea.

I think his main issue is security. Not missing having another snake. I don't think they really care that much lol.

Do you have any thermometers in there?
    in addition to this, try moving the light off to one side (it may be possible he is fleeing the heat or attempting to find a "perfect temp.") also soaking in the water may be a sign off mites. with mites come odd acting snakes. so look into those if you belive it will help.
    P.S. i have no idea how you are keeping up humidity, so i would double check it (especially because he is soaking) (wire lid +heat lamp= no humidity)
    let us know how that goes

Thanks

Don't feel horrible. Give him a few days to settle in with the new arrangement. It takes some time for them to get comfy with every change you make.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

I know it sounds mean but... That enclosure sucks.

Im sorry, its just i dont want to toot my own horn but i have the best enclosure u can build IMO, and when i see yours i just want to do a complete make over so bad!! but thats not because im the best or something, its just ive always been OCD about things im really into, take that and the fact that when i first got Vic i just so happened to land a new way better paying job, equals sparing no expense when building his enclosure. I have all the bells and whistles

With that said, three main things (besides checking for mites)

1. Three side black out with contact paper
    2. 2 identical more proper hides one opposite side of another and water sish in between
    3. Digital thermometer/hygro to

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast