Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,427

2 members and 2,425 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,571
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

New Habitat construction underway!

Well I have made the first step away from glass tanks. I have a majority of the supplies thus far. The one component I do not have yet is the flexwatt tape. The interior measurements are 34"x16"x12". I was debating on the size of flexwatt to use. I was thinking 11" flexwatt or would 6" suffice. These are for ball pythons. Either way recommendations of sites to order the supplies from? I will post pictures of the work in progress for each of the habitats.

Dano

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: New Habitat construction underway!

I generally get my supplies from Reptile Basics. As for the Flexwatt size, I'm not much help, but I would assume that it would be similar to sizing an Under Tank Heater, in which case, you would cover approximately 1/3 of the floor space. You could also call Reptile Basics and ask.

Thanks
    If this helps I use a 11" in my t8 48x24x12 but also have it split down the middle for 2 different enclosures so each side 24x24x12 with approx 5.25 on each side

Thanks
    I would use the 11" heat tape. I find that it raises the ambient temp to the correct level without having the floor burning hot. I just posted my tub setup in a diff thread you can check out. I have both reptile basics heat tape and flexxwatt and I prefer flexxwatt. Main reason is the connection method.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrianDallek View Post
    I find that it raises the ambient temp to the correct level without having the floor burning hot.
    Heat tape doesn't raise ambient temps. If you're trying to raise temps, you should get a RHP. With that said, OP, I'd also suggest 11" which you can get from Reptile Basics.
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Misha View Post
    Heat tape doesn't raise ambient temps. If you're trying to raise temps, you should get a RHP. With that said, OP, I'd also suggest 11" which you can get from Reptile Basics.
    Unless we just entered the twilight zone ..heat tape absolutely DOES raise ambient temps. Where do you think the heat from the tape goes? My room is 73 degrees. The tape heats the floor temp to 91 degrees in my tubs and that heat travels up... as heat tends to do and becomes trapped in the tub raising ambient temps to 84 degrees. Im amazed at the amount of garbage advice on this forum. Seriously.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Sure, heat tape will raise ambient temperatures a bit. Is it the most efficient way to do so? No, otherwise it would be more difficult than it is to create a temperature gradient within an enclosure. But, yes, it does have an effect on ambient temperatures.

In a temperature controlled room with enclosures that retain heat well, like Brian's, heat tape alone is relatively effective in raising ambient temps a few degrees to where they should be for our animals. However, if the temperature of the room drops too much below that, additional heat sources are typically recommended - especially with enclosures that don't retain heat as well.

It should probably go without saying, but regardless of which size heat tape you choose, OP, make sure you're running it through a thermostat to keep it from heating the bottom of your enclosure too much. I'm sure you're already well aware of that though.
    Last edited by Eric Alan; 01-04-2015 at 03:33 AM.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Thanks

Unless we just entered the twilight zone ..heat tape absolutely DOES raise ambient temps. Where do you think the heat from the tape goes? My room is 73 degrees. The tape heats the floor temp to 91 degrees in my tubs and that heat travels up... as heat tends to do and becomes trapped in the tub raising ambient temps to 84 degrees. Im amazed at the amount of garbage advice on this forum. Seriously.
    The only garbage advice on this thread, is yours.

Do you realize that room temperatures vary throughout the day unless it's controlled? Which means (since apparently you don't know) unless your room stays a certain temperature 24 hours a day, an enclosure will cool or heat up depending on the temperature. Especially one as thin as a tub. I have 3 PVC enclosures and they're still susceptible to temperature change.

Additionally, OP is building his own enclosure which means he'll be probably using xpvc or wood to build it. Do you know the difference between heating a tub to heating a piece of wood or xpvc? You also don't realize the size difference of your tub to a large enclosure. You need a lot more heat to get a 36x16x12 enclosure up to proper temps. So before you bring in Twilight Zone and rudeness into this thread at least make sure you know how heat works through different surfaces and sizes.
    Last edited by Mr. Misha; 01-04-2015 at 05:36 PM.
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Misha View Post
    The only garbage advice on this thread, is yours.

Do you realize that room temperatures vary throughout the day unless it's controlled? Which means (since apparently you don't know) unless your room stays a certain temperature 24 hours a day, an enclosure will cool or heat up depending on the temperature. Especially one as thin as a tub. I have 3 PVC enclosures and they're still susceptible to temperature change.

Additionally, OP is building his own enclosure which means he'll be probably using xpvc or wood to build it. Do you know the difference between heating a tub to heating a piece of wood or xpvc? You also don't realize the size difference of your tub to a large enclosure. You need a lot more heat to get a 36x16x12 enclosure up to proper temps. So before you bring in Twilight Zone and rudeness into this thread at least make sure you know how heat works through different surfaces and sizes.
    LOL, seriously slow your insecurity. And by the way your still wrong. First off what does temperature change in a room have anything to do with wether heat tape creates ambient temperature?? Your arguing a point with an irrelevant side topic. Temperature change in a room is what a thermostat is for. He asked what size heat tape to use. I replied the 11" so it would create more ambient temperature without the floor getting as hot as say 6" heat tape to create the same amount of ambient temperature. You replied that heat tape does not create any ambient temperature change which is ridiculous. Guess what most homemade incubators use to raise ambient temps?? Heat tape. Guess what most rack manufacturers use to heat their tubs and create ambient temps, yup its heat tape. Guess what I've put under all the different cages that I've ever had from homemade to vision and so on to create floor heat and raise ambient temps...heat tape. Was I a bit rash when it comes to my reply, sure. heat tape raises ambient temps in my tubs 11 degrees over room temp with keeping floor temps at 91. In my incubator it raises the ambient temps 17 degrees over room temp with ease. For anyone who is still unsure about this google: "flexwatt create ambient temps" or call up any rack manufacturer and ask them if the heat tape will raise air temp in the tub. Get the 11" tape.

Thanks

LOL, seriously slow your insecurity. And by the way your still wrong. First off what does temperature change in a room have anything to do with wether heat tape creates ambient temperature?? Your arguing a point with an irrelevant side topic. Temperature change in a room is what a thermostat is for. He asked what size heat tape to use. I replied the 11" so it would create more ambient temperature without the floor getting as hot as say 6" heat tape to create the same amount of ambient temperature. You replied that heat tape does not create any ambient temperature change which is ridiculous. Guess what most homemade incubators use to raise ambient temps?? Heat tape. Guess what most rack manufacturers use to heat their tubs and create ambient temps, yup its heat tape. Guess what I've put under all the different cages that I've ever had from homemade to vision and so on to create floor heat and raise ambient temps...heat tape. Was I a bit rash when it comes to my reply, sure. heat tape raises ambient temps in my tubs 11 degrees over room temp with keeping floor temps at 91. In my incubator it raises the ambient temps 17 degrees over room temp with ease. For anyone who is still unsure about this google: "flexwatt create ambient temps" or call up any rack manufacturer and ask them if the heat tape will raise air temp in the tub. Get the 11" tape.
    Insecurity about what? If you think that room temperature has nothing to do with how your terrarium or tub is heated, you must really don't know how any of this works. If the room isn't warm enough, heat tape isn't going to do anything except provide belly heat while the rest of the enclosure will be cold. Anyways, I'm tired of arguing with you. Good luck with thinking that heat tape can provide proper ambient temps without proper room temps.
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast