Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,308

3 members and 3,305 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Unhappy Feeding and Shedding Questions

Hello! I have a het-pied named Diablo, he's my first snake and I've had him for a few months now.
    Ever since I got him, I have fed him weekly, starting with fuzzies and now I'm feeding him frozen, medium sized rats (he's an adult).
    He became a lot thicker ever since I "adopted" him, the previous owners rarely fed him, his first few sheds with me weren't great either and I had to assist him with them.

Not long ago, he had a perfect shed besides the fact that he has a dent in his eye cap (retained?).
    He also stopped eating (I'm guessing it's because of the season change), he has gone almost three weeks without food. Is that long enough to cause his body to change width? I'm going to make an attempt to feed him another f/t rat this weekend. If he rejects it, should I move to live food?
    I'm trying to get my baby to a normal, full grown ball python's body should be.

Answers are highly appreciated!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

Re: Feeding and Shedding Questions

My males are off feed or spotty this time of year too. I'd offer a rat every 4-6 weeks until spring time comes. They're more interested in giving females the penes than eating. If he's got good body weight now he'll be fine going for months without food and not lose much weight. Hope that helps!
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    My males are off feed or spotty this time of year too. I'd offer a rat every 4-6 weeks until spring time comes. They're more interested in giving females the penes than eating. If he's got good body weight now he'll be fine going for months without food and not lose much weight. Hope that helps!
    Alright, thank you.

Do you know how to fix the eye cap problem? Do I need to let him shed it away, try to help, or take him to an exotic vet?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lexiethekitten View Post
    Alright, thank you.

Do you know how to fix the eye cap problem? Do I need to let him shed it away, try to help, or take him to an exotic vet?
    Just leave it and make sure he has good humidity before his next shed. It'll come off with the next shed as long as the humidity is high enough for him.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    Just leave it and make sure he has good humidity before his next shed. It'll come off with the next shed as long as the humidity is high enough for him.
    Alright, thanks!