Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,329

0 members and 3,329 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Keeping BPs in the garage...

I live in Florida, my BPs are currently in a rack system at my boyfriends house but we're trying to get them moved to my house. My dad is absolutely against the snakes being "in the house" but the garage is a different story. My only concern is that I live in Florida and it gets very, very hot. My garage doesn't have any windows but it does have a big door and a back door as well as some fans. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to create airflow so that way the snakes aren't extremely hot. The only things I can think of is adding a ton of fans and leaving my house door that connects to the garage open so the air from the house can flow into the garage. If anyone has done this or has any ideas please let me know! I really need to figure something out.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Your dad will hit the ceiling if you leave the door open to the garage. The utility bill would be ridiculous.

I don't think you should attempt this until you could track the temps, both highs and lows, and see what they are. I don't know that fans blowing the hot air from outside into the already hot garage is going to do much for you. I think in the summer you are going to heat dangerous numbers and though yall don't have much of a winter I think you would also have a heck of time keeping the garage warm enough on cold nights. All of this will be even harder if yall actually park cars in the garage and the door opens several times a day.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Re: Keeping BPs in the garage...

We don't part the cars in the garage, too much hassle with everyone coming home at different times. As I'm cleaning out the garage over the next couple weeks I'll track the temps and see how it works. If the winter ever did get cold, we have a space heater. If the garage thing doesn't work then I have to convince my dad to let me have them in the house and I'll just have to pay rent for the snakes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.1 Mojave (Pretzel & Popeye)
    1.1 Yellow Belly (Steeeeve & Mystery)
    0.1 Pastel (Rogue)
    0.1 Pastel Champagne (Crystall)
    0.1 Pewter (Maple)
    0.1 ButterBee (Belle)
    0.1 Mystic (Mystique)
    0.1 100% Het. Clown (Harleyquin)
    1.0 Clown (Joker)
    1.0 Lemon Blast (Herbert)
    1.0 Firefly (Wolverine)
    1.0 Banana Enchi (Dobby)
    1.0 Coral Glow (Frodo)
    1.0 Phantom (Scooby)

1.1 Ambilobe Panther Chameleon (Rocko & Neytiri)
    0.1 Bearded Dragon (Noodle)
    0.1 Aberrant African Fat Tail (Mushroom)
    2.0 Leopard Gecko (Jasper 'Tremper' & Tiger 'Hypo')
    1.0.1 Crested Gecko (Fiddler & Ivy)
    0.1 Sunglow Boa (Mercury)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Temp changes will vary a lot depending on where in Florida you live. I've lived in Florida for the past 3 years (Pensacola and Jacksonville) and we did have a cold winter and summers too hot for my BPs but also the humidity was way too high. Our garage was the bottom floor of our apartment so the temps and humidity were much more stable but still wouldn't have risked it mostly because even if everything is perfect, you have to keep in mind how bad bugs are down there. spiders, roaches, Mosquitos, centipedes, not to mention the perfect environment for mites to breed. It's just not worth the risk down there. If you could afford a small, climate controlled storage unit, that would be better (I have not looked into the legal aspect of this however)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

Re: Keeping BPs in the garage...

You could purchase a single electric unit that heats and cools, like they have in motel rooms, and install that in the garage. However, I would suggest if it isn't already, that you insulate and sheetrock the walls in the garage to assist with maintaining stable temps. Also, it would reduce the cost to run the unit in the long term.
    Last edited by rlditmars; 01-01-2015 at 05:26 PM.