Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,456

1 members and 3,455 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered User Daniel.michelle's Avatar
    Thanks

New here, want some help

Well I just got my first bp a few days ago (Sunday) from a petsmart as a gift. The lady at the store gave me the snakes feeding chart etc. it gets fed each Monday, problem is, it hasn't eaten anything offered since before dec 3 when the store got it. I know bp's go through off feelings, but I'm worried because it hasn't eaten in so long. The snake seems fine, not skinny at all. I'm not too worried in general, but I really would like to see the snake eat during the 14 day guarantee that the store provides. So far the snake has seemed interested, but not gone after the frozen thawed mouse. I tried wiggling it with tongs for about 5-10 mins, then left it in over night, and nothing.

Hes in a temporary plastic bin till he's eating well. Heat pad under the tank, paper towel substrate for now till eating, warm and cool hides, water dish, and a humid hide(plastic bowl thing with a hole in the lid filled with moist peat moss) and some fake plants.

Should i I try feeding in a smaller tank? Could I try leaving another mouse overnight possibly in his hide tonight, or is it better just to wait till next week? Should I be turning off the heat mat at night, or should I leave it on? (I have been leaving it on because my room a bit cool). And most importantly, what are some things I can do to help get my snake to eat?

Thanks
    First its not unusual for them to not eat with you at first. Your snake is probably pretty stressed out in its new environment. Wait a week without handing it. Give it some time to calm down and get used it its new home. If he/she continues to refuse properly heated frozen/thawed rodents you can try live.

Also in case you don't already have one you should have some way of controlling the heat output of your heat mat. Whether its a lamp dimmer from home depot or a thermostat. Its a pretty important tool to use as under tank heater burns on ball pythons are fairly common. You also need a good way of monitoring the temperature of your enclosure both on the hotspot and on the cool side. Infrared temperature guns are a great tool, or a lot of people use the dual temperature accurite thermometer from walmart.
    Last edited by salt; 12-31-2014 at 10:07 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 1,063 Posts
    1. Heat mat needs a thermostat so you can set it and forget it. Leaving it on can cause it to overheat and cause burns on the snake. Hyrdrofarm makes one for $40. There is a thread on here recently made about a rheostat which is much cheaper.

2. I'd wait a week, let the little guy settle. Some people do not. But he needs temps and security.

3. Thermometer, accurite from walmart for $12 is most recommended on the site.

4. Feed inside his enclosure.

I'd get your enclosure set up proper this week and worry about feeding toward Mondayish. A bp that young shouldn't be striking so it's most likely temps and security.

to the site. :-)
    -Yar

1.0.0 Albino Black Rat snake(Wafer)
    0.0.1 California King snake(Oreo)
    0.0.1 African Housesnake(Cupcake)
    0.0.1 Honduran Milk snake(Blackjack)
    0.0.2 Normal BP(Petey; Twix)
    0.0.1 Yellow Rat Snake(Dijon)
    0.0.1 Madagascar Speckled Hognose(Granola)[RIP]
    1.0.0 Albino Nelson's Milk snake(Candy Cane)
    1.0.0 Lesser BP(Creme Brulee)
    1.0.0 Mojo BP(Brownie)
    0.1.0 Black Motley Corn snake(Anisette)
    0.0.1 Pueblan Milk snake[Fostering, Taco Grande]
    0.1.0 West African Mud Turtle(Bulger)
    0.2.0 Red Eared Slider(Squirtle, Turtwig)
    1.0.0 Rat Terrorier(Ranger)

Thanks
    I would get his temps and humidity spot on and then leave him alone for about a week and then try to feed. Don't hold him and just let him be. How big is he? I would also weigh him.
    1.0 Cinnamon Het Pied
    1.0 Ambilobe Panther Chameleon
    1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko

Thanks

Re: New here, want some help

Ok thank you all for your help!

Ill unplug the heat mat for the night then, I've got an extra thermostat at my girlfriends so I'll get that tomorrow. The ambient temps are about 78-82 and the hot spot is about 90 (with it cooling down now) earlier the hot spot was about 95-98.

I hope that link works to photobucket.

I think ink it may be starting the early processes of shedding too... Not sure.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel.michelle View Post
    I hope that link works to photobucket.
    Nope, but this one will:

You tried to link the entire Photobucket page, rather than just the image itself.
    Last edited by Eric Alan; 12-31-2014 at 10:21 PM.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

Daniel.michelle (12-31-2014)

Thanks
    Oops lol thank you! I'm used to other forums and not photobucket.

Thanks

I took my bp a while to eat. Sometimes they just need some time to get comfortable with new surroundings. I couldn't get her to eat for about a month and a half, but was reading not to worry because it's fairly common as long as they don't seem like they aren't showing any obvious signs of weight loss. After finally taking her first meal with me, she hasn't missed one since.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel.michelle View Post
    Well I just got my first bp a few days ago (Sunday) from a petsmart as a gift. The lady at the store gave me the snakes feeding chart etc. it gets fed each Monday, problem is, it hasn't eaten anything offered since before dec 3 when the store got it. I know bp's go through off feelings, but I'm worried because it hasn't eaten in so long. The snake seems fine, not skinny at all. I'm not too worried in general, but I really would like to see the snake eat during the 14 day guarantee that the store provides. So far the snake has seemed interested, but not gone after the frozen thawed mouse. I tried wiggling it with tongs for about 5-10 mins, then left it in over night, and nothing.

Should i I try feeding in a smaller tank? Could I try leaving another mouse overnight possibly in his hide tonight, or is it better just to wait till next week? Should I be turning off the heat mat at night, or should I leave it on? (I have been leaving it on because my room a bit cool). And most importantly, what are some things I can do to help get my snake to eat?
    Yes, the stress of being relocated to the store and then to your house could be stress factors, but, since the snake didn't eat for PetSmart, there is also a good chance that the vendor who supplied the snake to PetSmart started it out on live mice or rats, and as I understand it, PetSmart only feeds frozen/thawed, which can require alot of patience, and technique in preparing the f/t feeders is the key. I would suggest offering an appropriately sized live prey item. Once your snake becomes a regular feeder on live prey, then start the process of converting to f/t, if you choose.

Thanks

My baby GHI didn't eat for over 7 weeks after I got her. She was defensive but would never constrict. Get your temps/humidity right, let her be for at least a week and then try. If she doesn't take it wait another week or so and try again. My girl eventually ate and hasn't missed a meal since.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast