Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,072

1 members and 3,071 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Cheapest thermostat?

I wanted to put a new caresheet together to hand out when I sell animals at shows. The thing I find myself explaining the most is a proper setup. Of course people are looking to get away without spending any more money than they have to, I wanted to put together a "cheapest cage" list so people can see the bare minimum cost of a cage. Which honestly isn't much, 3 dollar tub, 1 dollar water bowl (just need the right shape), 10 dollar heat pad, (they can could flexwatt pre wired from another vendor there), 3 dollars of cypress will last you quite a while if you only got 1 snake. but then they cringe when I mention a thermostat. I have to honestly tell them I only have experience with 100+ dollar thermostats, I've only dealt with herpstat and helix.

So my question is what is the cheapest thermostat you could recommend without feeling like a jerk for recommending it?

also now that I think about it, whats a temp gun you could recommend? I have only used my proexotics one. I can't recommend the digital accurite thermometers/hydrometer that are mentioned a lot, i think they are garbage.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I say recommend what you feel is the best tstat option. If that is a Herpstat, so be it.

I think the temp gun has far more options and it should be pretty easy for a new owner to pick what is right for them.

Or,

Just point them here and they can get all the info they need.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (12-29-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Re: Cheapest thermostat?

I don't think you should promote anything that's "cheap ". It infers a lack of quality. I've used hydrofarm thermostats for a few years now with absolutely no problems. I know several other keepers that use them as well. They're inexpensive compared to the herpstat or vivarium electronics brands but I think they're pretty dependable.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

OhhWatALoser (12-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    I don't think you should promote anything that's "cheap ". It infers a lack of quality. I've used hydrofarm thermostats for a few years now with absolutely no problems. I know several other keepers that use them as well. They're inexpensive compared to the herpstat or vivarium electronics brands but I think they're pretty dependable.
    I only bought one and it failed in three months. I wish I had the luck you do with them but I will no longer recommend them because of the failure I had when it failed in the on position and placed my snake in danger.

I would not want to be a breeder that recommended something that then caused harm to a customers snake. I would feel as if it was partially my fault.
    Last edited by KMG; 12-30-2014 at 12:57 AM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    I only bought one and it failed in three months. I wish I had the luck you do with them but I will no longer recommend them because of the failure I had when it failed in the on position and placed my snake in danger.
    We are talking about an electrical item, they can an will fail at some point. Regardless of what "safeties" are built in to them.

Back on topic, I have no problem telling someone to get a Hydrofarm. Its better than no thermostat at all though I would rather see a VE in use.
    Last edited by PitOnTheProwl; 12-30-2014 at 07:14 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (12-30-2014),OhhWatALoser (12-30-2014)

Thanks
    http://www.supplyhouse.com/Johnson-C...4gHRoCtovw_wcB

Johnsons control A419 it's what I use.
    O.1 pastel
    0.1 axanthic
    1.0 red tiger jaguar
    0.1 tabby cat
    0.1 girlfriend Italian/Irish morph
    1.0 het albino
    0.1 het albino
    1.0 Aztec corn snake
    0.1 amel motley corn snake
    1.0 High White King
    0.1 jampea retic

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jwkempo For This Useful Post:

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post

also now that I think about it, whats a temp gun you could recommend? I have only used my proexotics one. I can't recommend the digital accurite thermometers/hydrometer that are mentioned a lot, i think they are garbage.
    The Benetech IR temp gun is a good deal when offered with free delivery. Generally $15-20 and accurate when held 6" or less from target:

http://www.amazon.com/BENETECH-Non-c.../dp/B008KCCOPO

13. The Following User Says Thank You to The Golem For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As mentioned, the word "cheap" has a lot of negative connotations and implies that it's OK to use inferior products for such a critical purpose like temperature control. Best to phrase it as "least expensive" or "most affordable". And even then, if I were writing such a list, I would make a point of emphasizing that the cost of the risk involved in choosing less than stellar quality on critical tools can't be measured in dollars.
    -- Judy

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (12-30-2014),KMG (12-30-2014),OhhWatALoser (12-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post

I would not want to be a breeder that recommended something that then caused harm to a customers snake. I would feel as if it was partially my fault.
    Even the cheapest herpstat doesn't have a mechanical relay, which in the same situation could fail on the On position as well.

I have seen too many times that when I say all I have used are the 100+ dollar thermostats, then go to the next guy who says you don't need to have one then, just watch it carefully. they walk out of there with everything but a thermostat (which there are herpstats for sale there), so I can only assume they choose to use nothing because of the price and reassurance of the other vendor doing anything to sell his snake. While I can say I feel better because thats not what I told them and didn't sell to them, that animal still went home with them. I'd much rather have a bare minimum package that doesn't shock them and deter them from using it at all.

Looks like the johnson thermostat requires some wiring, I don't really want to put that on the average person.

It's easy to talk down about the hydrofarm, its not proportional, no night drop, no mechanical safety, no other features at all pretty much, but if generally people are having success with it, I don't have a problem putting it out there as an option. At 33 bucks shipped on amazon I might order a few and have them on hand, not even advertise that I have them ( my buddy who sells the herpstats wouldn't be happy with me anyway lol), but if someone is about to walk out of there with nothing, offer it to them.
    Last edited by OhhWatALoser; 12-30-2014 at 10:21 AM.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

KMG (12-30-2014),Sammiebob (12-30-2014),The Golem (12-30-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, if you're really looking for the least expensive way to regulate heat I need to put in a plug for the good old fashioned rheostat. MUCH cheaper than any thermostat. Sure it is not as effective and requires more vigilant monitoring of temperatures but it does work and will keep people from burning their snakes when using an unregulated heat source.
    Last edited by MarkS; 12-30-2014 at 12:13 PM.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkS For This Useful Post:

KMG (12-30-2014),OhhWatALoser (12-30-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast