Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,314

2 members and 3,312 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

never owned a snake before, really wanting to get a royal python... answers please

ok a little history on me first, i have never owned a snake before but have always been attracted to them since i was a kid (in my 30's now) i have been doing a ton of research here and watching a load of videos on the tube. i grew up in a pet deprieved home so i was always scared of all types of pets but still found snakes cool and have only help a hugh burmese python (with the owner holding the head side of course lol) i was scared of dogs of all sizes as well and i ended up getting over my fears and took in a full grown pitbull when i got older and i became addicted to them and started breeding them, i dont have any dogs anymore and i finally wanna step into the snake pit sorda speak, i wanna get a royal python as a pet only not looking to breed, i never liked anything small ( i dont like holding new born babies, didnt like holding new born pups ect) so my question is can i buy an adult royal python as a new keeper to snakes? and also how do i keep the humity to where it needs to be using a screen top fish tank? and can i feed only dead/ freezon mice or rats? i'd hate to have to handle a live rat or mice as they creep me out lol but i'm not gonna let that stop me from getting a snake as i really have my mind set on getting it, and once my minds set thats it lol... thanks alot in advance to and answers or tips given
    Last edited by dr del; 12-28-2014 at 04:13 PM. Reason: removing censor bypass

Thanks

Re: never owned a snake before, really wanting to get a royal python... answers pleas

Alright, yes a ball python seems to fit your standards. They are, after all, considered good for beginners. Humidity wise with screen tops I like to had some ripe of moss ( sphagnum or peat) and a large water bowl and mist as needed so yes you can keep proper humidity in a screen top. As far as going strait to an adult... If you buy from a person that is a small scale breeder or someone who handles and cares for their snake correctly go for it. If you buy from a online breeder or store the snake was likely a breeder and lacked common handling. As far as feeding frozen, most convert easily but if you are to worried see what the previous owner was feeding.

so in other words if you get an adult... Make sure it is tolerable to being held, it is healthy, and that it is feeding on frozen or can easily be converted.
    otherwise
    go for something younger (not necessarily a hatchling) that you can bring up how you wish.

good luck

Thanks

Re: never owned a snake before, really wanting to get a royal python... answers pleas

thanks for such a quick reply, so would something about six months old be an decent size for me to handle or are they still pretty small at six months? i want a female and i like to get get as big as it can i hear six feel is common for females?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    You can certainly find an adult and if you search your local Craigslist you may even be able to find one free or dirt cheap with its cage included. Kids loose interest or leave for college and since a BP can live 30+ years the snake is often left with the parents who decide to rehome it.

As for the humidity and a screen top. Most of us cover a large portion with something to trap both heat and humidity. I used cardboard and created a cutout with windows for allow the heat and light from my CHE and heat lamp to pass through. I then covered the cardboard with foil. Others have used glass, plexi, foil tape, etc.

The biggest help to using a glass tank to give the snake the humidity it needs is to place moss inside the hides. I keep the moss damp during a shed and allow it to dry out during non shed times. This has given me perfect sheds in my glass tank.

Yes frozen rats or mice can be fed throughout its life.

A six month old BP is what I would consider pretty small. A 6ft female would be really big. Most BPs are 4-5 ft.
    Last edited by KMG; 12-25-2014 at 11:16 PM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

thanks for the info kmg... but what is moss? lol also is it a good idea to put a big branch or a rock in the tank for them to rub the shed off?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Moss http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Terrar...exo+terra+moss

I like naturalistic tanks so I have rocks, plants, driftwood, vines, and moss in my cages. If you like the look of it you could certainly put it in there but they can shed by rubbing against themselves too. My BP always sheds in its hide rubbing on itself. I have other snakes that rub and pull the shed off on the tank items. Each snake can be different from the next and if its available they may use it but it is not necessary for the shed process.
    Last edited by KMG; 12-25-2014 at 11:28 PM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

SnakeBalls (12-28-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,866 Times in 4,781 Posts
    I'm going to be a voice of dissent here - for a first snake, if you want to keep it in a tank, go with a king, corn, or milk snake. They are much more suited to tank living, more suited to being a display snake, and are more forgiving of new-owner mistakes. My first was a male high white California king. I still have him and he's one of my favorites just to pull out and let people handle, nothing fazes him, nothing throws him off food, he'll take both f/t or live prey as needed (he's part of my clean-up crew if a juvenile BP doesn't eat).

He's not quite three years old, about four feet, and much lighter-bodied than my ball pythons so he's very easy to handle.

Once you're comfortable with your first snake, get an adult ball python and a proper setup for it where you can maintain correct temps and humidity without fighting the laws of physics (hint: this is not a tank).

Here's a picture of my first, taken a few weeks after he arrived.

Last edited by bcr229; 12-26-2014 at 11:17 AM.

Thanks
    I've got to agree with bcr229.
    Even though I think a BP isn't necessarily a 'bad' beginner snake for adults who know what they're doing (wouldn't really recommend them for teens or children unless a parent is doing most of the care) I think more temperate animals are better for beginners. As far as handling and bright display snakes go, garters are great. They're also one of the more active snakes, so you see your pet more often without having to dig them out of a hide.
    Mainly, temperate animals are so much less complicated to keep than tropical/subtropical and are generally more forgiving if you don't get their temps exactly correct. Also I feel like BPs are often disappointing for people who expect to see their snake out and about.
    That being said, if you have your heart set on a BP and know what you're doing, there's no reason you shouldn't get one
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

Thanks
    I got my normal ball python 13 years ago as my first snake. If you want calm handleable snake they are a great option. Since you didn't mention that you wanted a display snake I'm guessing it won't bother you that they spend most of their time in the cage hiding. They do require a more specialized cage compared to some of the other common pet snakes but if your heart is set on a heavy bodied constrictor and you're willing to do the research a ball python can be a great pet.

Check out the thread on setting up a glass tank. Also keeping a couple humid hides in there for him/her is a good idea.

Thanks

thanks for everybodys opinion but yes I am really set on a ball python, and i'm not a little kid here lol, I want a bigger snake because as I said in my original post I don't like to handle small things, I'm a big guy and I feel like I hurt smaller things without knowing it lol, I rather a boa but being its my first snake after all the researching I have done I decided on a royal, so I just thought I come here and get some great tips and advice from people who know how to care for them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast