Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,255

3 members and 3,252 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marshall update

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Marshall update

Hi there, so I went off the forum for a while to figure out the cage. I've got heating figured out, except ambient temps. I got a rheostat, the hot side is 90-93f, and the cool side is 76-80f. But I can't seem to get ambient temps over 70f. Any tips on raising it other than buying a heat lamp? Am I measuring it correctly? I take the probe of my digital thermometer and place it about an inch above the ground.

Also got another cave, it's smaller as well. I know some of you mentioned that the cave I had was too big, I realized that when I brought him home, but he seems to prefer it over the other one. Any ideas why?

Feeding. I tried feeding him a frozen thawed fuzzy mouse, would not have anyone to do with it. A few days later I gave him a live one, he ate that right up. When should I try f/t again?

I don't believe there was anything else needing adjustment. Let me know your thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Marshall update

You have to use a heat lamp or a ceramic heating element. I suppose you could also re-route a space heater to put the heat into the tank. Are you covering the screen at all? If you cover it with aluminum foil it'll hold heat and humidity in better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Vanilla (Akeda)
    1.0 Bumblebee (Silas)
    0.1 Albino (Cleo)
    0.1 Lesser Yellowbelly (Cambria)
    0.1 Lesser (Athena)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Reed12321 For This Useful Post:

Cumminsman (12-24-2014)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reed12321 View Post
    You have to use a heat lamp or a ceramic heating element. I suppose you could also re-route a space heater to put the heat into the tank. Are you covering the screen at all? If you cover it with aluminum foil it'll hold heat and humidity in better

Yes it's covered with a towel.

Thanks

Try aluminum foil. Towels will absorb the humidity and they don't insulate the same way aluminum foil can.

1.0 Vanilla (Akeda)
    1.0 Bumblebee (Silas)
    0.1 Albino (Cleo)
    0.1 Lesser Yellowbelly (Cambria)
    0.1 Lesser (Athena)

Thanks

I tried towels too and it didn't work. I used foil for a while and it worked great but I don't like the looks of it. I bought a piece of plexiglass and it works perfect and looks good too.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reed12321 View Post
    Try aluminum foil. Towels will absorb the humidity and they don't insulate the same way aluminum foil can.

Ok, maybe I'll try that out.

Thanks

I know your post said any other way besides buying a heat lamp but that would probably be the easiest way to do it. like reed suggested you could use a space heater to blow warm air in the direction of the tank. if i may ask, what are your objections to getting a heat lamp?
    Sam

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by srp1102 View Post
    I know your post said any other way besides buying a heat lamp but that would probably be the easiest way to do it. like reed suggested you could use a space heater to blow warm air in the direction of the tank. if i may ask, what are your objections to getting a heat lamp?
    Just saving money I suppose. But I figured I would need to get one. Should I get a ceramic heat emitter or just one of the day lamps? Also, my rheostat(zoomed) advises not to regulate a heat pad and overhead heating device together, if that makes any sense. My rheostat has two outlets to plug into, and the manual said to only use two hearing devices that are alike(ex: two heat pads, or two heat lamps). Any ideas?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gameonpython View Post
    Just saving money I suppose. But I figured I would need to get one. Should I get a ceramic heat emitter or just one of the day lamps? Also, my rheostat(zoomed) advises not to regulate a heat pad and overhead heating device together, if that makes any sense. My rheostat has two outlets to plug into, and the manual said to only use two hearing devices that are alike(ex: two heat pads, or two heat lamps). Any ideas?

I would get a CHE, they are a little more expensive than a regular heat bulb but last much longer. And yes i would get a separated rheostat to control the CHE because the CHE and the UTH are two completely different heating elements and the rheostat wouldn't be able to regulate both of them with accuracy.
    Sam

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by srp1102 View Post
    I would get a CHE, they are a little more expensive than a regular heat bulb but last much longer. And yes i would get a separated rheostat to control the CHE because the CHE and the UTH are two completely different heating elements and the rheostat wouldn't be able to regulate both of them with accuracy.
    Wasn't wanting to buy another rheostat, that would be quite a bit of money. If I went with a heat lamp, would I need to regulate it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast