Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,418

3 members and 3,415 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Issue?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Re: Issue?

Quote Originally Posted by ispitroseas View Post
    My boa, who normally goes to the bathroom weekly hasn't eliminated yet. It's been over a week and lately I've been giving her soaks, but nothing.
    Otherwise she is healthy and normal. Her viv is normal, nothing out of the usual
    You live in Detroit. It's cold and even if you don't change anything with your husbandry and lighting, snakes will sense the seasonal changes. This is the dead of winter, metabolisms slow, and so does activity.

I have not read through all of the posts here, so there could be some other variable involved, however if you read the book

THE COMPLETE BOA CONSTRICTOR by Vincent Russo, you will come to a chapter where he speaks of seasonal changes, less activity, and less interest in food. These changes will often slow metabolism down, which in turn can spread out the time of elimination after a meal.

I can't recommend that book enough to anybody interested in boa constrictors.

There is also no set rule that a snake will take a dump every Tuesday. As mentioned they go when they go.

If you enjoy "soaks", that is fine, but if your husbandry is on, they are not needed.

Another boa expert, and when I say expert, I mean a world authority on boa constrictors, says continued soaking is NOT usually a good idea. I'm not going to go into all of his reasoning, but Gus Rentfro should be listened to. A bath now and then is OK, but not necessary.

Do not be nervous unless you begin to see other issues appear things will happen naturally.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (12-30-2014),ispitroseas (12-29-2014)

Thanks

Update; I think she absorbed it. The rat was small and she seems super active, not like she's working on something.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    You live in Detroit. It's cold and even if you don't change anything with your husbandry and lighting, snakes will sense the seasonal changes. This is the dead of winter, metabolisms slow, and so does activity.

I have not read through all of the posts here, so there could be some other variable involved, however if you read the book

THE COMPLETE BOA CONSTRICTOR by Vincent Russo, you will come to a chapter where he speaks of seasonal changes, less activity, and less interest in food. These changes will often slow metabolism down, which in turn can spread out the time of elimination after a meal.

I can't recommend that book enough to anybody interested in boa constrictors.

There is also no set rule that a snake will take a dump every Tuesday. As mentioned they go when they go.

If you enjoy "soaks", that is fine, but if your husbandry is on, they are not needed.

Another boa expert, and when I say expert, I mean a world authority on boa constrictors, says continued soaking is NOT usually a good idea. I'm not going to go into all of his reasoning, but Gus Rentfro should be listened to. A bath now and then is OK, but not necessary.

Do not be nervous unless you begin to see other issues appear things will happen naturally.
    Also thanks for this. I'll be getting some literature on boas!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12