Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,301

2 members and 3,299 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handling

Thanks

Handling

Hey Everyone,
    how much handling is too much?
    how much handling is not enough?
    how much do you handle your ball python/s?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Handling

how much handling is too much? When they show signs of stress it is too much
    how much handling is not enough? They do fine if never handled
    how much do you handle your ball python/s? Only when cleaning tubs.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

xXBASSXx777 (12-17-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    how much handling is too much? When they show signs of stress it is too much
    how much handling is not enough? They do fine if never handled
    how much do you handle your ball python/s? Only when cleaning tubs.
    do you ever have trouble with aggression or mistaking you for food. My snakes are very handling friendly.
    I travel sometimes so i would like my snakes to be "behaved" for there "sitter". ( just wondering because I've always held my snakes as babies to prevent bites. (younger children are in my household and i let them sometimes interact with the snakes)

Thanks

I handle mine about everyday. Except the two days after feeding. Both of my boys love to get out and explore. My little one would be on my lap or around my neck chillin all the time if I let him. He's my movie partner.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xXBASSXx777 View Post
    do you ever have trouble with aggression or mistaking you for food. My snakes are very handling friendly.
    I travel sometimes so i would like my snakes to be "behaved" for there "sitter". ( just wondering because I've always held my snakes as babies to prevent bites. (younger children are in my household and i let them sometimes interact with the snakes)
    Never had any issue with BP though they are only handled during maintenance.

Some family member who come on occasion have children (between 3 to 12) and when they come they obviously what to hold the snakes and they can hold big adults (3000 / 4000 grams) without any problems and I would not allow them to do so if I though there would be an issue.

Hatchling on the other end it's different no matter what they will be defensive and a lot more prone to stress and striking when handled.

It's about knowing your animals and paying attention also.

Now this applies to BP it does not apply to some other species I own who require regular handling.
    Deborah Stewart

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

xXBASSXx777 (12-17-2014)

Thanks

We handle ours everyday they are not digesting or in shed. I have them to enjoy as well as breed and our evenings spent chilling with our snakes is something we look forward to all day.
    Because they are slowly gotten used to it, starting with short 5 min sessions, they rarely get stressed about anything. We dim the lights, the room is heated to 78 and things like fans are off and no other pets. If we do see signs of stress, although rare and most often with the new babies, they are returned to their tubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to calmolly1 For This Useful Post:

Cumminsman (12-17-2014)

Thanks
    We handle ours all the time, from day 1, except the feeding and shedding times.
    1. het Pied 1. Albino 1. Lesser 1. Fire 1. OG 1. Pinstripe het VPI Axanthic 1. Mojave Enchi
    1. Bumblebee 1. Black Pastel Kingpin 1. Pastel Tiger
    .1 Pastel .1 Pastel het Pied .1 Calico .1 OG .1 Mojave het Lavender Albino .1 Lithium .1 Caramel Spider .1 Bumblebee .1 Bumblebee het Clown .1 Leopard
    1. Wild Caught Corn 1. Coral Snow Corn .1 Snow Corn .1 Butter Corn .1 Albino Reverse Okeetee Corn ?.? Frilled Dragon .2 Ferrets

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cumminsman View Post
    I handle mine about everyday. Except the two days after feeding. Both of my boys love to get out and explore. My little one would be on my lap or around my neck chillin all the time if I let him. He's my movie partner.

Same here!! I will let them chill with me when I'm doing idle stuff. I usually don't handle them the day before eating, the day of eating, and the day after.
    but the rest i try to handle them each at least once a day. (unless they are in shed of course)

Thanks
    I have never had a snake yet that minded being handled even if it was in shed, so for sure just give them a day or two after taking a meal

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Like others, almost every day except the day after feeding. And like calmolly says, start out with short sessions and increase duration over time. I've had my little guy for just a few months.

After about 15 minutes I can see him wanting to get away so I usually let him crawl around on the couch and floor for a while then put back in tank. Sometimes (like if I don't have any more time to watch him) he'll go directly back in enclosure.

The key is to observe the snake and let it teach you when it likes (or tolerates) being held, and when it's had enough and wants to be on its own.
    Last edited by The Golem; 12-18-2014 at 07:49 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to The Golem For This Useful Post:

xXBASSXx777 (12-18-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast