Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,239

3 members and 1,236 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,582
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    Thanks

Exclamation New Baby Ball Python Questions

I just got a beautiful Lesser Pastel male from Repticon on Saturday. He's around 110 grams, and 2 months old! He is very inquisitive, and loves to explore. I have him set up in a 14 qt sterilite tub with a locking lid and paper towels for substrate. He has two small hides, a cardboard tube, and a small water dish. He has a heating pad hooked up to a Hobbystat thermostat. The humidity is currently 66% and the warm side is 92, and the cold side is 77. When I got up today, his tub was fogged up and I had to take him out and make a few more holes. Then when I got home from work, his tub was fogged up again, and i switched his large water bowl out for a smaller one, and I plan on making more holes tomorrow. I have a few questions. I'm quite paranoid, and I want to make sure everything is okay so he can be happy and healthy!

1. I haven't seen him drink much water yet, is that normal?
    2. He stays in his warm hide a lot, is that okay?
    3. Can a tub that's too humid cause an RI, or any other disease?
    4. He hasn't peed or pooped yet
    5. He sticks his head out occasionally, looks around, goes up to his water dish (but doesnt drink?) and then goes back inside.
    6. I've seen him yawn two times, is that alright?
    7. I am worried about him getting dehydrated since I haven't seen him drink and he hasn't peed.

Again, I'm sorry if I sound paranoid but this is my first Ball Python and my first snake, I want to make sure everything is perfect so he can live a long, happy life!

Also! My friend got a female Cinnamon possible het Ghost, at 130 grams and 3 months old! She has the exact same set up as I do (warm side 90, cool side 80, humidity 64), and her bp is more shy than mine is! When she went to put her down in her tub, she peed on her. And when she has gone to change her tub, she peed on her again. So far, her bp (named Mitzu) has peed a total of 3-4 times, and pooped once. I am concerned that she might become dehydrated? Also, are there any bad affects to peeing so often? It's only been a day (today is Sunday, we got the snakes on Saturday)? It's because of stress, but shes peeing quite a bit! My friend would really appreciate the help!!

Please help ease my mind I would appreciate any answers to my questions, thanks!

Thanks
    I've had mine over a year and never actually seen her drink.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis,
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Litorea caerulea
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi

Thanks
    It is a animal it will drink when it's thirsty just make sure you change the water and such. I know snakes pee as kind of a defense thing I've had mine pee and crap on me a few times I try not to handle to much when it's about that time or when he gets a sausage butt and with you guys just getting these snakes you need to let them be to get adjusted to there new home and such.

Thanks

Arrow

OK, so I hope I can be helpful. I have had my first for about a month and a half, but I have done soooooooo much reading to try to learn as much as I can, in the interest of a happy, healthy snake.

1) I didn't see mine drink until like a month in. They seem to do it right after dark when they're most active. Keep an eye out for signs of dehydration, but he will probably be fine.
    2) It took me awhile to accept that mine would be where she wanted when she wanted. As long as it isn't too warm and an under tank heater isn't touching him (burns possible) tis ok.
    3) RI can result from too much humidity. And if the bedding is too damp too much scale rot can occur.
    4) This is a topic I researched alot. I too was concerned. I found that it really depends on the snake. Mine goes around once every week to week an a half. It probably took her 2 weeks or so after I got her. If it goes too much longer than that, be concerned.
    5) I tend to assume exploring
    6) Mine does it every so often. As long as it isn't too frequent or produces noise. And it gives you a chance to see inside their mouths! Which I think is neat, and it lets you check for RI easier.
    7) See above.

To your friend: That kind of peeing or pooing when they are handled is a sign of pretty bad stress. I know its hard but depending on the snakes shyness level, they should be left alone in their enclosures (no handling unless to spot clean or refill water {daily!!!}) for anywhere from a few days to a week or so to allow them to adjust and de-stress after you acquire them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to anicatgirl For This Useful Post:

ferocix (12-15-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I don't see many issues here. You just need to relax.

As for the building condensation we need to get that fixed. This could be as simple as getting more air flow. If you have a fan in the room put it in a low setting and turn it on. If you have a small oscillating fan place it on the opposite side of the room. Don't let it point directly at the tub. The air movement in the room will help the air transfer and help keep the condensation from forming.

It may also help to post a pic so we can see how/where the holes are in your tub.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Eric Alan (12-15-2014),ferocix (12-15-2014)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Once I was putting my little BP back into enclosure and it reached down and started drinking while I was holding it! That was so cute and very rare.

You might catch it drinking soon after it eats. ferocix, just remind yourself occasionally that pythons have existed for millions of years without our help, and most of their behaviour follows their keenly honed instincts to survive.

Thanks

New Baby Ball Python Questions

I was freaking out when my 8 month old stayed 24/7 for 9 days in her humid hide during her last shed. I use a red light at night in our bedroom and I never saw her come out and drink. I was told they can absorb moisture through their skin. Is this true?? Golem or KMG?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by calmolly1; 12-15-2014 at 08:45 AM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: New Baby Ball Python Questions

I have only had my little guy for about 5 weeks and a corn snake for 6 mos, but when i got my BP i followed the 7 day rule i followed with my corn and it worked out beautifuly. First asap get more air circulation in the tub, add some holes in the cover so when the warm air rises it hopefully get rid of the excess moisture. I use a glass tank and my problem in winter is the opposit of yours. then leave those babies alone for 7 days no feeding, no handling, then you can feed, let them eat a couple of meals then start to handle a few minutes at a time. I did it this way and now every time i open his door, he will come out of his hide to see whats going on. He will drink when he's thirsty and yes mine has peed on me and pooped just once when i started to handle him. Remember he is a baby and needs to adjust. have patience, with any new pet all it takes is patience. Hope this helps, good luck.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calmolly1 View Post
    I was freaking out when my 8 month old stayed 24/7 for 9 days in her humid hide during her last shed. I use a red light at night in our bedroom and I never saw her come out and drink. I was told they can absorb moisture through their skin. Is this true?? Golem or KMG?
    Most of the fluids they take in comes from their food. That's one reason I don't make my feeders completely dry after warming them in water, its like food and drink combo.

Just as our skin can get dry, so can theirs. That's why they need the humidity to be correct because other wise they get dry skin and then we all know what happens. But high humidity or soaking does not provide them fluids the same as drinking does. They still need to drink. If they didn't we wouldn't need water bowls.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

12. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

calmolly1 (12-15-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blue roses View Post
    then leave those babies alone for 7 days no feeding, no handling, then you can feed, let them eat a couple of meals then start to handle a few minutes at a time. I did it this way and now every time i open his door, he will come out of his hide to see whats going on.
    We handle ours from the moment we get them, and they all do the same.
    1. het Pied 1. Albino 1. Lesser 1. Fire 1. OG 1. Pinstripe het VPI Axanthic 1. Mojave Enchi
    1. Bumblebee 1. Black Pastel Kingpin 1. Pastel Tiger
    .1 Pastel .1 Pastel het Pied .1 Calico .1 OG .1 Mojave het Lavender Albino .1 Lithium .1 Caramel Spider .1 Bumblebee .1 Bumblebee het Clown .1 Leopard
    1. Wild Caught Corn 1. Coral Snow Corn .1 Snow Corn .1 Butter Corn .1 Albino Reverse Okeetee Corn ?.? Frilled Dragon .2 Ferrets