Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,182

3 members and 3,179 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,575
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
    Thanks

ball python rack

Hello. I am thinking about getting a rack system for my ball pythons. I have a normal male. Pastel male. And a bumblee female. I have them in glass aquariums now but im addicted to getting ball pythons. i want more snakes to breed so i need a rack system. The problem is they are a little expensive. Im going to a reptile exo on december 20th and probobly going to pick up 2 more ball pythons. Maybe if the price is right and not to bad i will get the racks there but. I was going to buy the tubs at walmart and just stack them with the heat lamp directed towords the tubs. Has anyone done this before? This will only be temporary untill i can afford to get everything i need for a rack system. What are everyones thoughts?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Re: ball python rack

Quote Originally Posted by darrien421 View Post
    What are everyones thoughts?
    It's incredibly unlikely that you're going to get consistent temperatures using a single heat lamp with multiple tubs. My recommendation is to not buy more snakes than you can provide proper husbandry for and house properly. This means buy your equipment first (rack, heat tape, thermostat, etc), then buy your snakes - not the other way around.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

KMG (12-09-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    If you can not afford the rack then you can not afford the snakes. You failed to mention anything about getting a tstat which is the most important thing you need to buy. Having a rack you are essentially putting all your eggs in one basket so to speak. Not having a proper tstat on a rack places every snake in danger. A good tstat is going to be $100+ so you need to figure that into the price of the rack system.

Your best bet for keeping stacked tubs at a good temp is placing them in a small room that you heat with a small heater.

Im with Eric and say get the housing taken care of before you start adding snakes.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

I already have a tstat i just do not have the rack. And its not that i dont have the money for one. I do i just dont want to blow 300$ right now. I was trying to find a cheaper way around it for now. All i was asking was how it wouod work out with stacking the tubs on top of another with heating them... I do not want to put a heating mat under them because it is plastic..

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darrien421 View Post
    I already have a tstat i just do not have the rack. And its not that i dont have the money for one. I do i just dont want to blow 300$ right now. I was trying to find a cheaper way around it for now. All i was asking was how it wouod work out with stacking the tubs on top of another with heating them... I do not want to put a heating mat under them because it is plastic..
    I get the first half but not the second. You do realize that most racks use flexwatt to heat the plastic tubs? That's why the tstat is so important. Using a uth with a plastic tub is fine with a good tstat.

As for the heat lamps and stacked tubs. I have used a lamp to heat one tub but never a stack of tubs. I think your best bet would be as I said and heat the area the stack is in. Maybe a small closet with a small heater.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Yeah i understand that but i didint want to use the heat tape i would like the rack that has the heat wire that juat clips onto the bottom of the tubs so u can put as much or as little wire as youd like. Im just going to try to find 1 at the reptile expo next weekend