Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,481

1 members and 2,480 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts
    I am very aware of how sex linked genes work, banana/cg does not follow that model.

If the gene is Z linked, we would see normal ratios with males, and female bananas would throw all male bananas and all female non-bananas.

If the gene is W linked we would only see female bananas.

So again please enlighten us.

Thanks
    Glaring evidence of what? It's just some whacked out phenomena that no one can figure out? Guess what, it has been figured out and it works the same every time for the Banana/CG. Only a few who try to refute the overwhelming evidence because they think they are special.
    Lotsa Balls and more

http://www.tessadasexotics.com/

Thanks

Re: How can a male snake be a "female maker" or "male maker"?

OK let me make it SIMPLER for you.

Haldane's Rule
    Lotsa Balls and more

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TessadasExotics View Post
    Glaring evidence of what? It's just some whacked out phenomena that no one can figure out? Guess what, it has been figured out and it works the same every time for the Banana/CG. Only a few who try to refute the overwhelming evidence because they think they are special.
    My reasons are already stated above why it does not fall under the definition of sex linked.

OK let me make it SIMPLER for you.

Haldane's Rule
    lol? I guess I'm too dumb to understand how this has to do with a rule that appears to focus on null chromosomes. Please spell it out for the world because up until this point no one else has. You could make ball python history. Or you can keep posting links and making claims with no evidence.

Thanks
    Ok.
    Assume first female is an f1
    Female Bananas produce male and female offspring in apparently normal ratios.
    Male (f1) bananas produced from female(f1) bananas will produce mostly male Bananas. We can assume it to be 99% of the time. All normal or non Banana offspring are regular male/female ratios.
    If a female (f2) is produced from a "male maker" (f1) Banana, She will produce males and females at normal ratios, but any male (f2) Banana will now make females and males at in normal ratios.

So it is a sex linked recessive gene which does happen and is illustrated and explained in the previous links I posted for you.

Why is this so hard for you to understand?
    Lotsa Balls and more

Thanks

Ok.
    Assume first female is an f1
    Female Bananas produce male and female offspring in apparently normal ratios.
    Male (f1) bananas produced from female(f1) bananas will produce mostly male Bananas.
    Breeding record show that they will produce mostly female bananas..... hence why it took so long for the project to pick up steam, male makers didn't exist for a long time.

We can assume it to be 99% of the time. All normal or non Banana offspring are regular male/female ratios.
    We have only observed this with offspring from female bananas. Males throw skewed ratios.

If a female (f2) is produced from a "male maker" (f1) Banana, She will produce males and females at normal ratios, but any male (f2) Banana will now make females and males at in normal ratios.
    I have not heard of a case of any male banana throwing normal ratios.

So it is a sex linked recessive gene which does happen and is illustrated and explained in the previous links I posted for you.

Why is this so hard for you to understand?
    I guess it hard for me to understand because you are reporting something that is nearly 100% different from everyone else.

Also the flaw in it being sex linked already lies within how the female production behaves, which is about the only part I can agree with you on. Which is normal bananas throw normal ratios like any other gene correct? How do you get normal sex ratios from a normal male (ZZ) x female banana (ZW) if the gene is sex linked?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

Dave Green (12-09-2014)

Thanks
    Here is a nice write up from Mr. Lawson.
    Guide-on-Sex-Linked-Mutations

Maybe you will accept this fact from him?
    Lotsa Balls and more

Thanks

Here is a nice write up from Mr. Lawson.
    Guide-on-Sex-Linked-Mutations

Maybe you will accept this fact from him?
    Do you even read the links you post? Look in the posts and even back then they bring up examples to prove him wrong. Even his OP flawed. 3 years ago there was a lot of confusion with the gene. I don't blame him at all, I respect the hell out of him actually, but 3 years ago he was wrong, given we have 100x the public breeding records now.

Thanks
    Sure do. My point is is that he has a much better grasp on it than you do. Most people I talk to understand how it works... Not sure why its so hard for you to?

Anyways I'm done beating a dead horse. I explained how it works and how it is sex linked. It's not some unexplainable anomaly and does happen in other animals as well as people.

Keep on keeping on
    Lotsa Balls and more

Thanks

Sure do. My point is is that he has a much better grasp on it than you do. Most people I talk to understand how it works... Not sure why its so hard for you to?
    lol you read it really?

From this breeding, we get a 1:1 ratio of animals with a ZcZ+ genotype to animals with a Z+W genotype. All of these animals express the wild-type phenotype. Because all of the females get their W-chromosome from the mother and their Z-chromosome from the father, none of them carry the coral glow mutation. However, any males in the clutch will be heterozygous for coral glow because all of them will get one Z-chromosome containing the mutation for coral glow from the mother. Note that it is IMPOSSIBLE to obtain a female expressing the wild-type phenotype to carry a mutant Z-linked allele - therefore, there is no such thing as a female het coral glow.
    Read past the OP

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Lawson View Post
    Randy, I think I might have found the thread you were talking about. A male banana to female pinstripe produced a male banana...

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...80#post1390980

So this is at least one instance where the offspring do not follow the expectations for a Z-linked mutation. I'd really like to see information on the parents of the rest of the male bananas and coral glows out there. I know there aren't too many.
    Now we have hundreds of instances.

Anyways I'm done beating a dead horse. I explained how it works and how it is sex linked. It's not some unexplainable anomaly and does happen in other animals as well as people.

Keep on keeping on
    You posted a few links that do not explain the anomaly we are seeing and an explanation that goes against all available information.
    Last edited by OhhWatALoser; 12-09-2014 at 06:54 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast