Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,306

0 members and 3,306 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Baby Boreno

Thanks

Baby Boreno

My sweet little Boreno Struck at the , he was in the Corner of his favorite Plant I lifted it up And he followed my hand I kinda got the feeling real quick hes gonna get me He did My Husbandry is good temps /etc. He ate a small adult mouse 2 days ago, could he still be hungry... Or is this just what the Borenos do like I said we are learning each other. Any tips from anyone? Whats funny he has a nice hide box from Reptile Basics. I will steer him to the opening he goes in and two minutes hes back under this silly reptile plant.
    Lady Mkrj58

Thanks
    Maybe start hook training him. They are supposed to have a strong food response. Each time you go into his tub (not to feed, but to handle), stroke him with a hook, wire hanger, pvc pipe, etc. Do this each time and it should let him know that food is not coming and help get him "out of food mode". If he strikes though, don't leave him alone, because that will teach him that striking gets him left alone.

How long have you had him? If more than 2 weeks (and he has eaten for you 2-3 times) it should be ok to start handling sessions.

As for the hide... He may think it is too large and prefers the smaller plant. Put some balled up paper, etc. in the good hide so that it will feel snugger for him. That may help.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks
    Maybe he's mad because you are saying his name wrong.

It's a Borneo as in born-eo, not Boreno as in bor-eno.
    1.0 Piebald (Dexter)
    1.0 Mojave Yellow Belly (Blaze)
    0.1 Albino (Belle)

Thanks

Re: Baby Boreno

He arrived December 2 and I left him alone for 4 days to recoup from his trip, I then started at least one time a day to get him out absolutely a Angel then he ate a mouse he turned down the Rat pup on Saturday evening, today he's showing me is Awsome power lol and I very familiar with the follow thru same as Parrots I was always the Biggest Bird so This little guy will learn he can't bully me. I will try the pvc pipe trick as I ordered a new hook just awhile ago. Thanks for the help I really do appreciate the input and help.

Sent from my SGH-T999
    Lady Mkrj58

Thanks

Thank for the correct spelling Fireproof I'll work on that because I don't want to hurt his feelings.

Sent from my SGH-T999
    Lady Mkrj58

Thanks

Here is the Hide Box
    I will do the newspaper trick. It's the medium size

Sent from my SGH-T999
    Last edited by Lady mkrj58; 12-08-2014 at 07:55 PM.
    Lady Mkrj58

Thanks

And here he is

Sent from my SGH-T999
    Lady Mkrj58

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lady mkrj58 View Post
    Thank for the correct spelling Fireproof I'll work on that because I don't want to hurt his feelings.

Sent from my SGH-T999
    Hehe.

Great looking blood there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Piebald (Dexter)
    1.0 Mojave Yellow Belly (Blaze)
    0.1 Albino (Belle)

Thanks

I just love him and his beauty , I will get to work on the PVC found some in the Garage, Im just going to us the skill saw to get it the length I want. With all these improvements Im sure will help , others talk about the nippy stage He and I will overcome this. lol

Sent from my SGH-T999
    Lady Mkrj58

Thanks
    he looks nice. A couple points to consider:
    1. Generally most snake folks recommend leaving the snake alone to de-stress and acclimate to their new environment at least 2 weeks before handling (changing bedding, feeding, etc. is OK, but wait to handle). Also, people alternatively recommend not handling until the snake has eaten at least 2-3 times consistently for you.

2. I am not sure with STPs, but with all of the other snakes I keep, you need to wait at least 48 hours after eating to handle, otherwise you risk a regurg which can be bad for the snake.

3. You might want to consider replacing the plant hide with another black one (like the one in the pic) that is the same size. This way, he has two options for temperature (I assume you have a hide on the warm and cool ends of the tank) but they are both the same.

Given that you just got him on the 2nd, I'd give him a week or so to settle in before continuing your handling. I am not sure on the feeding schedule for Borneos, but I assume they are once a week.. I'd feed him on whatever day is one week from your last successful feeding attempt, let him digest for a couple days, then try handling again.

Is this your first snake? Just curious as most people don't choose a STP for their first (due to the possible attitude and trickier handling). I hope you have good luck with him!
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast