Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,271

1 members and 3,270 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Have handling questions for (very) young gray rat snake.

My SO (significant other) brought home a tiny gray rat snake that he had caught outside of a restaurant. We assume he was nearly hatchling age at the time. This was over a month ago. We gave him his first pinkie, which he accepted tentatively, but with no problems. He is growing and thriving. getting much longer, and filling out nicely. Anyway, we gave him lots of time to get used to his environment, and to us, before attempting to hold him. He just gets too stressed. Is it more difficult to get a wild caught snake used to being handled, even though he was extremely young? Any suggestions on how to go about getting the little guy used to being handled, and getting him to relax and trust?
    Other question. As I said, this same little snake does eat live pinkies, but he does not strike his prey. Just takes it down his throat head first, and down it goes. Should we be concerned about this. Will the striking instinct kick in soon?

I appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Re: Have handling questions for (very) young gray rat snake.

As far as the little one taming down I'd say it's just a matter of time and patience. With consistent, gentle handling he should settle in soon. Most of my snakes usually calmed down after a couple of months. I can understand where an older WC may take a little longer to acclimate to captivity but since you caught him so young he should be just fine.
    When it comes to striking and constricting their prey many snakes will just swallow pinkys alive since they don't really put up much of a fight. I'm sure as he moves up in prey size he'll apply his other termination skills. I'd try to get him on f/t prey asap though. Best wishes.
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 12-09-2014 at 12:06 PM.

Thanks

Thank you Ziggy. We are trying to ease him into being handled, but he gets so stressed out, and has struck a couple times (he's so tiny, it's not even a pin prick). It's not the striking that bothers us; I just don't want him to get so nervous and scared he won't come out of his hide, or worse, will stop eating. He's such an entertaining little guy, very curious and agile. He gets into some interesting positions to get a certain view out of his "cage". But after attempting to hold him, he doesn't come out for the rest of the day. I hope he will chill out eventually and learn to trust us. I really don't like to see him so stressed. Poor little guy.
    As far as the feeding question, thank you so much. I feel very relieved. I read somewhere that hatchling rat snakes stick around their clutch for a while and exist off of their yolk for longer than other snakes. I don't know if that's true. Anyway, I was concerned maybe we got him too young. But then, he wasn't with his clutch when he was "captured". He was wound around a padlock in back of a restaurant, basking in the hot Florida sun. I was concerned that he would never strike and constrict. I imagine he will be on pinkies for a while, but, you're right, we do need to start him on f/t to get him used to it.
    Do you have a rat snake? They seem to be interactive and curious animals. When I am standing there watching him, he comes right up to the glass and looks at me, very directly. It's so funny. One time his little head went up and down, as if he were checking me out from head to toe (or as far down as his vantage point will allow) He's a trip!

Thanks
    Any pics of the little guy?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Just pick him up and hold him. I probably would not handle him on feeding days but other than that he should be fine. Another technique would be to hold him inside the cage just letting him crawl through your hands. This should stress him a bit less because you aren't really restraining him or anything.

All hatchlings are stressed at least a little by handling, it's just natural instinct. He'll gain confidence as he grows as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jhill001 View Post
    Just pick him up and hold him. I probably would not handle him on feeding days but other than that he should be fine. Another technique would be to hold him inside the cage just letting him crawl through your hands. This should stress him a bit less because you aren't really restraining him or anything.

All hatchlings are stressed at least a little by handling, it's just natural instinct. He'll gain confidence as he grows as well.

Hi, Jhill,
    Thank you for your response. He is still a baby, but he's past the hatchling stage. We've had him for almost 2 months now. He's growing like crazy (not sure of weight or length. He's as long as our 6 month old BP, I do know that, but of course not nearly as thick. He's a long, thin little sylph...lol) He shed twice in the last month, a perfect shed everytime. He's so fun to watch, and very interactive w/in his tank. Such a little character, for sure. We have been handling him above his tank. He's so quick and agile, it wouldn't be safe to handle him away from his "home." He would definitely get away and we would never find him, as small and quick as he is. We just have to keep trying, I guess. I just know he's going to be fun to handle and play with. He definitely has personality.

Thanks
    So no pictures? I only ask because I don't think what you have is a grey rat snake. I'm from the Tampa Bay area, and what you most likely caught is either a baby black racer or corn snake. If you could post pics it would be easier for people to assist you.