Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,334

3 members and 3,331 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: First ball python!!

Honestly what I'm doing is working perfectly. Heat pad with a few layers of insulating paper towel on top and it makes for a perfect temp!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calmolly1 View Post
    From a 51 year old kid I agree. Just everyone chill, no pun intended. Get a thermostat dude. You snake will thank you for it. Now as far as ambient temps go you are gonna struggle up there. My house is old and drafty and I literally used duck tape to seal around windows and stuff. Your parents probably will kill you but if you get a good space heater and seal the room some you will make it easier. And without going back over the entire thread I can't remember if anyone advised using insulation around three sides of the tank and a wood top over the screen with cutouts for lamps. Helps a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you as well.

Thanks
    Okay bud. But mats fail. More often then not. We are not saying it isn't working. We are saying one day you will get home and have a Marshall fried egg. They can malfunction and shoot up to 120 instantly. Your thermostat will save Marshalls life when this happens by shutting it off.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Hognose View Post
    Woah dude.
    Too far, calm down. This fellow kid (im 13) is probably confused and is new to the world of reptiles. Although this does not justify him not buying a thermostat, just take it down a notch, its becoming to the point where you're hurting and not helping, i.e. the bashing is going to make him/her not want to use the advice you've given to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foolish1 View Post
    We were all young dumb and full of it at one point. Let's not bash on him or his age. Sucks when you become the oddball.

Listen man, just grab this http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MTPR...den+thermostat

Regardless of how hot it gets outside or inside. Wherever you live Antarctica or Cuba. You need a thermostat. If his Temps get over 92 for extended times it can cause brain damage. If he pees or poops and is sitting in it then he will get rashes and burns. Don't you want to see marshal 5 ft long and happy and healthy. I promise it will cost you more over time if you don't get it
    I believe this comment to be too far. I basically said the same thing without saying that the OP was full of it. Look, I'm a high school teacher, and I haven't met/taught one 15-year-old who isn't young and stubborn. I'm simply speaking from experience and from the fact that OP is so resistant to getting a thermostat. Literally everyone is telling her to get one, even forum admins are telling her to get one and she's still saying, "my setup is working just fine! Tee hee LOL. I live in Alberta so UTH's are fail-proof up here " She doesn't get it and unfortunately won't get it until the UTH fails and cooks her snake - i.e. young and stubborn.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 12-11-2014 at 01:34 AM.
    1.0 Vanilla (Akeda)
    1.0 Bumblebee (Silas)
    0.1 Albino (Cleo)
    0.1 Lesser Yellowbelly (Cambria)
    0.1 Lesser (Athena)

Thanks

Its ok, as she he wants to learn the lesson the hard way, let time take it's course, I forsee a vet visit in a month or two.
    "The best darn derpy ninja there ever was."
    -Sir Hognose 2014

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I think you guys aren't getting it. I'm not just some dumb kid. I have done research, I have talked to people, and joined a forum( I hate forums). This forum is the only resource that has told me to get a thermostat. I don't take caring for an animal lightly. I have cared for other reptiles/amphibians as well, which are all very healthy and doing great. I am confident that Marshall will do just as great with the care I am providing him.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Do you have access to an infrared thermometer?
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Alan View Post
    Do you have access to an infrared thermometer?
    Nope.

Thanks

Do a google img search for belly burned snakes. It won't be pretty. Then imagine Marshal suffering that way. Why argue about it? It's for the safety of your pet! These people don't have to take time to try to advise you. They have practical experience and are trying to save you and your darling snake very avoidable pain.

When multiple breeders/keepers some of whom have been caring for ball pythons longer than you've existed take the time to explain to you that a thermostat will help you care for your snake better than the great care you're already giving it, it might be a good idea to follow their advice.
    BPs - Lots
    Corn Snake - One.
    Retic

Fuzzies
    Dog Cat Mice rats

Offspring - 10 plus grand-offspring 0.0

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BPSnakeLady View Post
    Do a google img search for belly burned snakes. It won't be pretty. Then imagine Marshal suffering that way. Why argue about it? It's for the safety of your pet! These people don't have to take time to try to advise you. They have practical experience and are trying to save you and your darling snake very avoidable pain.

When multiple breeders/keepers some of whom have been caring for ball pythons longer than you've existed take the time to explain to you that a thermostat will help you care for your snake better than the great care you're already giving it, it might be a good idea to follow their advice.
    By "people with experience" do you mean "people on this forum?" I have talked to many who have experience. They have pointed me in the right direction regarding products, feeding and handling. I prefer to keep things simple, rather than complicate it with thermostats, space heaters and all the rest. From what I've heard, it seems to me that people whoso add all that extra stuff ultimately end up with the sick animal. Also, I have received some advice on here that doesn't make sense. Example: plastic cages keep moisture better than glass. Scientifically, no it doesn't.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast