Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,540

0 members and 3,540 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: First ball python!!

Quote Originally Posted by gameonpython View Post
    So, to all of you thinking that I'm going to cook my snake, I'm actually having trouble keeping the tank warm enough.
    You're completely missing the point.
    1. het Pied 1. Albino 1. Lesser 1. Fire 1. OG 1. Pinstripe het VPI Axanthic 1. Mojave Enchi
    1. Bumblebee 1. Black Pastel Kingpin 1. Pastel Tiger
    .1 Pastel .1 Pastel het Pied .1 Calico .1 OG .1 Mojave het Lavender Albino .1 Lithium .1 Caramel Spider .1 Bumblebee .1 Bumblebee het Clown .1 Leopard
    1. Wild Caught Corn 1. Coral Snow Corn .1 Snow Corn .1 Butter Corn .1 Albino Reverse Okeetee Corn ?.? Frilled Dragon .2 Ferrets

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Viol8r For This Useful Post:

calmolly1 (12-09-2014),onthefritz (12-10-2014)

Thanks

If he doesn't have properly regulated belly heat...nothing to do with a basking light like for lizards, he's going to burn from it being to hot or not digest properly cuz no belly heat. By his is what I've read, someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Actually if you are running something like a RHP, you don't "need" belly heat from a UTH. I've had my boa for 2 years since she was about 8 weeks old and I have never used UTH for her. I have her in a 48x23x14 Proline cage with a Pro products RHP on a Herpstat one and she has done perfect, almost too perfect as she is overweight at the moment The flip side is that even with a UTH, you might still need a RHP or CHE as UTH don't heat the ambient air. Now for my 7 week old BP, I do have her on a UTH and CHE but its a temporary tank as I will be getting her either an Animal Plastics or Proline cage in spring when she outgrows her 20 gallon tank and is more settled in. In that case, like my boa, I will probably just run RHP on a Herpstat as well. Regardless though, to beat a dead horse, you need a thermostat or at the least a rheostat for any heat source for a snake.

Thanks

A person is 98degrees and the heat pad should only be around 90 so it should never feel hot when your hand is on it. I have 5 of the exact same UTH (purchased this year)and they all get well over 110degrees without a thermostat. I live in western washington state and its cold. Plus your tank would be hot with the heat sources and be well over 26 degrees Celsius if you want to go by that. Everyone is just trying to help because we have all been there
    Last edited by thegamejr; 12-10-2014 at 12:14 AM.
    1.0 spinner blast "Igneel"
    0.1 normal"spitfire"
    1.1 mojave "grandeneey.smaug"
    0.1 yellow belly "saphira"
    0.1 lavender corn"princess"
    0.3 rats "elsa, tardis,lucy"

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thegamejr View Post
    A person is 98degrees and the heat pad should only be around 90 so it should never feel hot when your hand is on it.
    You're partially correct. The inside of a person is 98 degrees. Hands tend to be cooler - around 90 if I remember correctly, but that varies based on external temperatures. Because of this, sometimes 90 will feel warm and sometimes it will not.

Your conclusion is correct though - a reliable thermostat is a MUCH better indicator of temperature than the human body.
    Last edited by Eric Alan; 12-10-2014 at 01:09 AM.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

salt (12-10-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calmolly1 View Post
    If he doesn't have properly regulated belly heat...nothing to do with a basking light like for lizards, he's going to burn from it being to hot or not digest properly cuz no belly heat. By his is what I've read, someone correct me if I'm wrong please.
    The point is... If you use an unregulated UTH, even if the temps are perfect for a few days/months you are running the risk of a most likely malfunction that will cause harm. The t-stat isn't a back up plan it is a life saver...

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Actually if you are running something like a RHP, you don't "need" belly heat from a UTH. I've had my boa for 2 years since she was about 8 weeks old and I have never used UTH for her. I have her in a 48x23x14 Proline cage with a Pro products RHP on a Herpstat one and she has done perfect, almost too perfect as she is overweight at the moment The flip side is that even with a UTH, you might still need a RHP or CHE as UTH don't heat the ambient air. Now for my 7 week old BP, I do have her on a UTH and CHE but its a temporary tank as I will be getting her either an Animal Plastics or Proline cage in spring when she outgrows her 20 gallon tank and is more settled in. In that case, like my boa, I will probably just run RHP on a Herpstat as well. Regardless though, to beat a dead horse, you need a thermostat or at the least a rheostat for any heat source for a snake.
    You don't have to use a UTH at all. My snakes are kept in a room that is 79 at night and 82 during the day all year around. (and no it's not a Florida thing, it has already been in the 20's outside)
    1. het Pied 1. Albino 1. Lesser 1. Fire 1. OG 1. Pinstripe het VPI Axanthic 1. Mojave Enchi
    .1 Pastel .1 Pastel het Pied .1 Calico .1 OG .1 Mojave het Lavender Albino .1 Lithium .1 Caramel Spider .1 Bumblebee .1 Bumblebee het Clown .1 Leopard
    1. Wild Caught Corn 1. Coral Snow Corn .1 Snow Corn .1 Butter Corn .1 Albino Reverse Okeetee Corn ?.? Frilled Dragon .2 Ferrets

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Alan View Post
    You're partially correct. The inside of a person is 98 degrees. Hands tend to be cooler - around 90 if I remember correctly, but that varies based on external temperatures. Because of this, sometimes 90 will feel warm and sometimes it will not.

Your conclusion is correct though - a reliable thermostat is a MUCH better indicator of temperature than the human body.
    Yeah i thought about that after i posted but points the same ha
    1.0 spinner blast "Igneel"
    0.1 normal"spitfire"
    1.1 mojave "grandeneey.smaug"
    0.1 yellow belly "saphira"
    0.1 lavender corn"princess"
    0.3 rats "elsa, tardis,lucy"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Oh gosh the 20's? You mean like plus 20 Celsius?! Lucky! Where I live it's already gotten down to -40, no joke.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    @Viol8r
    True. I just use a UTH in my BP cage because I put the water bowl half on top of the UTH and it keeps humidity around 60%. If it wasn't for that sole reason, I would just run the CHE till Dot grew bigger, then put her in the Animal Plastics or Proline cage which holds 60% humidity without even trying. For me though, the ambient temps in the room are around 75 degrees in winter which is a little cooler than yours. But I agree, like I said, I never ran a UTH for my red tail boa but I also started her off in the 48x23x14 Proline as a 8 week old baby but she was much more bold as a baby than than this little 7 week old BP.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gameonpython View Post
    Oh gosh the 20's? You mean like plus 20 Celsius?! Lucky! Where I live it's already gotten down to -40, no joke.
    Once again, missing the point... The point was Florida isn't 80 all year long. I know your colder up there. That's why I would never live there. I've never met any one in the U.S. that uses celcius...

How old are you??? I think the answer to that question might shed some light to most of your posts....
    Last edited by Viol8r; 12-10-2014 at 02:32 AM.

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast