Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,399

0 members and 3,399 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: First ball python!!

Oh yeah of course! I just meant if it is burning hot for me to touch, it's definitely too hot for my snake.

2 whites tree frogs
    1 ball python
    1 cavalier King Charles spaniel
    1 boxer
    1 horse

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gameonpython View Post
    Oh yeah of course! I just meant if it is burning hot for me to touch, it's definitely too hot for my snake.

2 whites tree frogs
    1 ball python
    1 cavalier King Charles spaniel
    1 boxer
    1 horse
    With all due respect, if it's burning hot for you to touch, it's already WELL past the point of being able to burn your snake. As pointed out, going by touch is not an accurate measure of whether it's hot enough to burn your snake. If someone asks me the number one husbandry item to get, it will always be a quality thermostat, no matter how cold the environment you live in and where the snake will be.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rabernet For This Useful Post:

calmolly1 (12-08-2014),Reed12321 (12-08-2014),Sir Hognose (12-08-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    With all due respect, if it's burning hot for you to touch, it's already WELL past the point of being able to burn your snake. As pointed out, going by touch is not an accurate measure of whether it's hot enough to burn your snake. If someone asks me the number one husbandry item to get, it will always be a quality thermostat, no matter how cold the environment you live in and where the snake will be.
    Gameonpython - I'd like to think if a forum administrator is telling you to get a thermostat, then it is probably a good idea. I hate to say I told you so, but your BP's health and well-being is our number 1 priority. Buy a thermostat.
    Last edited by Reed12321; 12-08-2014 at 11:58 AM.
    1.0 Vanilla (Akeda)
    1.0 Bumblebee (Silas)
    0.1 Albino (Cleo)
    0.1 Lesser Yellowbelly (Cambria)
    0.1 Lesser (Athena)

Thanks

I just don't understand why you seem so resistent to get a thermostat. You say if I need one, it isn't an "if." I'm caring for a blue tongue skink, one of the hardiest reptiles alive, and I still use a thermostat. If you don't have the money for one, you never had the money for a reptile in the first place.

Seriously, Canada Shmanada, just buy one.
    "The best darn derpy ninja there ever was."
    -Sir Hognose 2014

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sir Hognose For This Useful Post:

calmolly1 (12-08-2014),Reed12321 (12-08-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gameonpython View Post
    I'm not going to damage my snake! How many times do I have to say that if it gets too hot I will get a thermostat? Also, I am getting a digital thermometer, I just don't have one yet! And no one is in danger here, the snake is still at the petstore, completely safe and happy. I'm not sure why you are getting so concerned about the care I will be providing, reed1232
    I think it is great that you are going to have it all set up way before you make the animal purchase. That is fantastic. I also think what you are not considering, and what most people fear for you snakes sake is... that a unregulated uth that may be at the perfect temp now can, and chances are good they will fail at some point. The fact that you live in Canada and I live in Florida mostly means your snake will probably stay on that uth more than mine. Let's say you purchase the snake and all is well. Months or a year, maybe even 3 from now, about the time you go to sleep your uth goes haywire and runs up to 110-120 (f). You will find yourself with a slow cooked/burned snake that may not be able breed if it does live. Then when you ask, "What do I do about a belly burn?". Most of the people you ask will say..."Start by getting a good t-stat"... I hope this explains the reaction you are hearing from most now, and that you seriously take what you have been told by the experiences that have been shared to you. Everyone here wants you to enjoy the hobby and have a snake that lives a long happy life.
    Last edited by Viol8r; 12-08-2014 at 11:10 PM.
    1. het Pied 1. Albino 1. Lesser 1. Fire 1. OG 1. Pinstripe het VPI Axanthic 1. Mojave Enchi
    1. Bumblebee 1. Black Pastel Kingpin 1. Pastel Tiger
    .1 Pastel .1 Pastel het Pied .1 Calico .1 OG .1 Mojave het Lavender Albino .1 Lithium .1 Caramel Spider .1 Bumblebee .1 Bumblebee het Clown .1 Leopard
    1. Wild Caught Corn 1. Coral Snow Corn .1 Snow Corn .1 Butter Corn .1 Albino Reverse Okeetee Corn ?.? Frilled Dragon .2 Ferrets

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

So, to all of you thinking that I'm going to cook my snake, I'm actually having trouble keeping the tank warm enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

I bought a zoomed uth a month ago. Unregulated my gun said 111 degrees after an hour. Really a thermostat is your most important tool. That and an RI gun. Petco ppl are straight outta high school and know nothing. The one by my house had BPs with horrible sheds and humidity sitting at 0%. There is a reason everyone on here is so adamant about regulating that pad. Thermometers will not tell you how hot the pad is and remember we run 98 degrees so just bc it feels warm to you dosent mean it's not too hot. Also the uth will NOT be able to tell Ur in Canada and it's cold. They don't work that way.

Thanks

Not just petco ppl but most pet stores don't have a clue unfortunately. They told me I didn't need a uth too. Acted like they didn't have a clue what I was talking about. Thank god for this forum. I'm sure Wiz thanks you guys. I follow Ur advice and my first BP is healthy, happy, and hasn't missed a meal.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Yeah so as I said, I can't keep it warm enough, let alone getting too hot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

The UTH or the ambient? The UTH keeps a part of the tank bottom warm only, not the air. Heat lamps warm the air around them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast