Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,376

2 members and 3,374 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: First ball python!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Even thermostats can fail. You need one that will shut off if something goes wrong or it gets above the max temp threshold you set like a Herpstat. From what I have been told, the Hydroponics one can run full blast if it malfunctions or at least someone said that. That's why I only run Herpstats.
    I agree. My thermostats automatically shut off when the temperature gets 1 degree above where I set it. It's one of the ones from amazon that everyone has been recommending (I also recommended it). I eventually want to get a HerpStat because if I pony up the cash to get a nice one, I can control multiple UTH's with 1 thermostat.
    1.0 Vanilla (Akeda)
    1.0 Bumblebee (Silas)
    0.1 Albino (Cleo)
    0.1 Lesser Yellowbelly (Cambria)
    0.1 Lesser (Athena)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Yeah they aren't cheap but well worth the cash imo. I heard pretty good things about Vivarium Electronics ones you can get from Reptile Basics but I've only used Herpstats so I just stick to those. You using the Hydrofarm ones? If so do they make loud clicks when they turn on and off since they aren't proportional? I was told they do but I always ask people. Also how accurate is it? I'm wondering because if they are decent, I might grab one from a local grow shop by my house to replace my rheostat on my baby bp tank till I get the Animal Plastics or Proline in spring.

Thanks

Yeah they aren't cheap but well worth the cash imo. I heard pretty good things about Vivarium Electronics ones you can get from Reptile Basics but I've only used Herpstats so I just stick to those. You using the Hydrofarm ones? If so do they make loud clicks when they turn on and off since they aren't proportional? I was told they do but I always ask people. Also how accurate is it? I'm wondering because if they are decent, I might grab one from a local grow shop by my house to replace my rheostat on my baby bp tank till I get the Animal Plastics or Proline in spring.
    I can only really hear it when i have everything off in my apartment. It clicks, but if you have the tv on, or even a space heater you won't be able to hear it. It works fine for my two snakes, and the are well worth the money. What clicks louder for me is the cheap timer I have for the lamp on my big tank. I set it to stay on for an hour and a half, and it goes off for a half hour and when the light goes off or comes back on, it clicks really loud.
    1.0 Vanilla (Akeda)
    1.0 Bumblebee (Silas)
    0.1 Albino (Cleo)
    0.1 Lesser (Athena)

Thanks
    Cool. Think i'll probably grab one here in a couple days. Rheostat works fine but I'd like a little more piece of mind. Thanks.

Thanks

Cool. Think i'll probably grab one here in a couple days. Rheostat works fine but I'd like a little more piece of mind. Thanks.
    I switched to thermostats because the rheostat wasn't accurate enough. I would check the temps and they'd be too cold, so I would nudge the switch up a tiny bit, and suddenly the temps would skyrocket and be way too hot.
    1.0 Vanilla (Akeda)
    1.0 Bumblebee (Silas)
    0.1 Albino (Cleo)
    0.1 Lesser (Athena)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gameonpython View Post
    I'm 15. Maybe Florida isn't 80 all year long, but it's a whole lot warmer in winter than it is here. Everyone I know has always used Celsius.
    This does explain a LOT.... I asked because you are not listening, not getting the point, and commenting back with things that have absolutely nothing to do with what was being told to you... example: location. I never asked to belittle anyone, just to understand that this post is going to go nowhere. Good luck to your snake...
    1. het Pied 1. Albino 1. Lesser 1. Fire 1. OG 1. Pinstripe het VPI Axanthic 1. Mojave Enchi
    1. Bumblebee 1. Black Pastel Kingpin 1. Pastel Tiger
    .1 Pastel .1 Pastel het Pied .1 Calico .1 OG .1 Mojave het Lavender Albino .1 Lithium .1 Caramel Spider .1 Bumblebee .1 Bumblebee het Clown .1 Leopard
    1. Wild Caught Corn 1. Coral Snow Corn .1 Snow Corn .1 Butter Corn .1 Albino Reverse Okeetee Corn ?.? Frilled Dragon .2 Ferrets

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Viol8r For This Useful Post:

Reed12321 (12-10-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reed12321 View Post
    I switched to thermostats because the rheostat wasn't accurate enough. I would check the temps and they'd be too cold, so I would nudge the switch up a tiny bit, and suddenly the temps would skyrocket and be way too hot.
    Yeah, I got a temp gun so I temp gun all my guys in the morning and then in the afternoon/evening about the same time I try and get quality time with everyone. My rheostat seems pretty close, its 1-2 degrees lower than my temp gun reads but again, peace of mind with the hydrofarm until I order my Herpstat 2.

Thanks

Yeah, I got a temp gun so I temp gun all my guys in the morning and then in the afternoon/evening about the same time I try and get quality time with everyone. My rheostat seems pretty close, its 1-2 degrees lower than my temp gun reads but again, peace of mind with the hydrofarm until I order my Herpstat 2.
    Well I had one of these guys right here:

so as you can see, there's no temperature markings or anything like that. You just slide it to where you want it and then you check the temps a little while later.
    1.0 Vanilla (Akeda)
    1.0 Bumblebee (Silas)
    0.1 Albino (Cleo)
    0.1 Lesser (Athena)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

why are you keeping the tank temp " perfect " anyways? In the wild there would be quite a range of temps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reed12321 View Post
    Quick question that's totally unrelated to everything - are you a boy or girl? I thought you were a girl, others are thinking you're a boy. What is it? I want to make sure everyone has their pronouns correct.

Secondly, it's not overcomplicating things by getting a thermostat. It's actually simplifying things. Without a thermostat, you have to check the temps multiple times per day. When i didn't have one and was just using a rheostat, I would check the temps every 3 hours. Now that I have thermostats, I check the temps maybe once per day. It's one of those things where you can "set it and forget it" so if you go away for a weekend, you can have more peace of mind knowing that your snakes aren't too cold or too hot.
    Girl.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast