Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,078

2 members and 3,076 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,569
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Putting females into male tub

Most people put their males into the females tubs. Reasons I've read was that females need to be "comfortable" and you don't want to move them so much as they are the ones to lay the eggs. Does anyone have any proof that there is any benefit to this vs. the other way around?

A few years ago I first started breeding, and I was not confident with my experience so just did what everyone else said to do. That year I had two females that would violently fight and wrestle any male put in with them. I posted and asked and the response was always to re sex the female as it must be a male. I would resex and find female and people just told me to resex again ad infinitum.

Now I KNOW they are females, as they laid eggs last year. The trick was to put the female into the male tub instead. I suspect that it was some kind of territorial behaviour on the part of the female.

Since then I have been putting those particular females into the male tubs, and for others I jusy do it the traditional way, which works most of the time. Now, I have many more breeding sized females this year. One more has started fighting the male, and I plan on putting her in the make tub to try. That got me thinking. Why not just put ALL females into male tubs?

It would be easier for me, as I keep breeding tubs on paper during season and others with aspen. So I could have only the male tubs switch to paper instead of all the females. Plus I don't need to keep track of which females are the territorial ones.

So anyone has real results or proof that it is better to put the male into the female tubs instead?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Re: Putting females into male tub

More than a few of my females simply wouldn't fit into my male's tubs. I'm sure I'm not the only one that this applies to.

Having said that, I'm also a firm believer in finding a successful means to an end. If this works for you, it may work for others as well!
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    UPDATE: Ok now this is getting weird. I just went to change some female tubs to aspen. The female tubs are different than make tubs, different rack. They are made of PE, whereas my male rack is made of PP. After giving the tub a good clean in the shower and wipe down, I put in aspen, and it flew up to the sides of the tub! I think something caused the tub to get static electricity. I would remove the aspen from the walls, put it on yhe floor, and shake the tub and the aspen would fly back on the walls like some kids science experiment! WTH?

BTW Thanks for your reply Eric

Thanks

It's winter. In most areas of the country that means that the heat is on. When the heat goes on, the humidity goes down, which results in an increase in static electricity. Pretty straight forward...

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

His place or hers, I guess it doesn't really matter as long as the deed gets done.
    Family:
    0.1 Wife
    3.1 Kids

Balls:
    1.0 Lesser Pied, 1.0 VPI Snow, 1.0 Super Pastel Mojave, 1.1 Albino het VPI Axanthic G-Stripe, 1.0 Albino Black Pastel, 2.2 Triple het VPI Axanthic/Albino/Pied, 1.1 Triple het VPI Axanthic/Albino/G-Stripe, 0.1 Pastel BEL(Mojave/Lesser), 0.1 Sterling Mojave, 0.2 Pied, 0.2 Kingpin het Pied, 0.1 Cinnamon Lesser het Pied, 0.2 Clown, 0.1 Citrus Pewter Calico, 0.1 Pastel Mystic, 0.1 Mystic, 0.2 Cinnapin, 0.1 VPI Axanthic G-Stripe, 0.1 G-Stripe het Albino, 0.1 G-Stripe, 0.1 Pewter, 0.1 Lesser, 0.2 Spider ph Pied, 0.1 Spotnose ph Pied, 0.1 Spinner, 0.1 Black Pastel, 0.1 Normal

Other:
    1.0 Husky
    0.1 Husky/Lab

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JMinILM For This Useful Post:

nucklehead97 (12-08-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Mechtly View Post
    His place or hers, I guess it doesn't really matter as long as the deed gets done.

Family:

0.1 Wife
    3.1 Kids
    Nothing like backing up your thesis with proven results!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

Alicia (12-06-2014),JMinILM (12-06-2014),Marrissa (12-06-2014),nucklehead97 (12-08-2014)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Not humidity. I thought so too, but it is currently at 70%. Also the pp clear tubs are not affected, only the opaque pe racks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hungba View Post
    Not humidity. I thought so too, but it is currently at 70%. Also the pp clear tubs are not affected, only the opaque pe racks.
    You said it happened after you just got done cleaning them while you were putting new bedding in. While it may be 70% normally, it was well below that in a completely clean, dry tub when you saw the static cling.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    The whole room is 70. Not sure how many hours it has beem, it is still clinging now.