Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,121

1 members and 3,120 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,130
Threads: 248,575
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Unhappy Burning question that needs a answer!

I will be getting Ball python in a couple of days. My question is the 60 gallon tank I have with wooden decorations were given to me by my brother whom before had a ball python in the tank but had to give away because he went away for the military. I cleaned the tank with dish soap and water. Should i reuse the wooden decorations? I didn't wash those becaie I didn't want them to fall apart from the water. Will my new Ball python sense the others snake scent from these decorations and get aggressive or have any other emotion towards being in a tank with them? Or should I just buy new ones? Should I also use the tank or just get a new one even though I cleaned it out?

Thanks
    I would reuse it all as long as there weren't any parasites in it when the snake was given away. How long has it been since there was a snake in there? Whatever scent was in there may have dissipated by now.
    1. het Pied 1. Albino 1. Lesser 1. Fire 1. OG 1. Pinstripe het VPI Axanthic 1. Mojave Enchi
    1. Bumblebee 1. Black Pastel Kingpin 1. Pastel Tiger
    .1 Pastel .1 Pastel het Pied .1 Calico .1 OG .1 Mojave het Lavender Albino .1 Lithium .1 Caramel Spider .1 Bumblebee .1 Bumblebee het Clown .1 Leopard
    1. Wild Caught Corn 1. Coral Snow Corn .1 Snow Corn .1 Butter Corn .1 Albino Reverse Okeetee Corn ?.? Frilled Dragon .2 Ferrets

Thanks

Re: Burning question that needs a answer!

Quote Originally Posted by Viol8r View Post
    I would reuse it all as long as there weren't any parasites in it when the snake was given away. How long has it been since there was a snake in there? Whatever scent was in there may have dissipated by now.
    They,ve been in there months along with the previous snakes bedding and feces. How would I disinfect these if I could and needed to?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I read in several posts to preheat oven to 200-250F and let wooden decor 'bake' in there for a couple of hours.
    Last edited by The Golem; 12-02-2014 at 06:38 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to The Golem For This Useful Post:

calmolly1 (12-08-2014)

Thanks

How big is your BP going to be? Why I ask this is because typically they want smaller enclosures. Big enclosures can stress them out. But if you're getting an adult then I'm sure 60 would be fine!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cnavalta14 View Post
    How big is your BP going to be? Why I ask this is because typically they want smaller enclosures. Big enclosures can stress them out. But if you're getting an adult then I'm sure 60 would be fine!
    Well I was hoping to get a baby. I know the enclosure is big but it has so many of those wooden decorations(things to climb on, hide under, ect) that the tank should feel like there in a very enclosed space. By brother used this for his ball python and never had any problems with him. I've been researching and now concerned about something else. Do I really need a UTC heater? Would I put this on the hot side? I'm also gonna be using cypress mulch as the bedding from what I hear it holds humidity well.

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Burning question that needs a answer!

Quote Originally Posted by The Golem View Post
    I read in several posts to preheat oven to 200-250F and let wooden decor 'bake' in there for a couple of hours.
    Ah that sounds helpful never thought of that to kill any bacteria on them without setting them on fire or getting them wet. Thank you .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poltergeist04 View Post
    Ah that sounds helpful never thought of that to kill any bacteria on them without setting them on fire or getting them wet. Thank you .
    You should also probably soak the wooden decor before baking it to avoid accidents. Bake until dry.

Thanks
    would freezing the wood work?

Thanks
    On the enclosure side...these animals live in Africa so a 60 g tank shouldn't be too large. What you would want to focus on is appropriate sized hides. Meaning when the snake is inside the hide he/she should be able to touch all/most sides. That's what they would look for in the wild so that should be provided for them in captivity. Sounds like you have a few options for him or her and you are on the right track! With a baby snake in a tank that size I would personally have a snug fitting hide on the hot and cold side then loose fitting hides on both sides as well. Sometimes after eating they need more room, and need a space to grow into. A UTH is highly recommended here along with the use of a quality t-stat. Bedding is up to what you would like your tank to look like and how much "extra" effort you may need to put in to it for good husbandry. Like I said you sound to be on the right track, so keep it up and let us know what animal you pick up and you your tank is progressing...
    1. het Pied 1. Albino 1. Lesser 1. Fire 1. OG 1. Pinstripe het VPI Axanthic 1. Mojave Enchi
    1. Bumblebee 1. Black Pastel Kingpin 1. Pastel Tiger
    .1 Pastel .1 Pastel het Pied .1 Calico .1 OG .1 Mojave het Lavender Albino .1 Lithium .1 Caramel Spider .1 Bumblebee .1 Bumblebee het Clown .1 Leopard
    1. Wild Caught Corn 1. Coral Snow Corn .1 Snow Corn .1 Butter Corn .1 Albino Reverse Okeetee Corn ?.? Frilled Dragon .2 Ferrets

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast