Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,228

4 members and 3,224 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

SyHy4455 (58)

» Stats

Members: 75,122
Threads: 248,564
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, SyHy4455
    Thanks

Too much humidity

I know the ideal is 50-70%, with 70 being being standard for shedding time, but is there such a thing as too much humidity? I certainly imagine there is.

Today I switched from the reptibark to aspen and it's doing 1000% better t maintaining humidity, way more than I expected. It shouldn't last more than a day or two but I'm worried about say a week of <70%

Thanks
    What are you doing to add humidity? Are you just in a naturally humid climate, or are you wetting the bedding or misting the tank?

If you start seeing condensation on the glass or sides of the tub (if in a tub), then it's likely too much. Otherwise - I'm sure it's fine. Aspen bedding is great. Just make sure he has plenty of dry bedding so he's not constantly on wet bedding and you should be alright. Many people use sphagnum moss in just a portion of the tank or in a specific "humidity box" or hide, to provide extra humidity when needed, and allow the snake to move from moist areas to dry areas.

Thanks

Re: Too much humidity

Quote Originally Posted by jinaragunlark View Post
    I know the ideal is 50-70%, with 70 being being standard for shedding time, but is there such a thing as too much humidity? I certainly imagine there is.

Today I switched from the reptibark to aspen and it's doing 1000% better t maintaining humidity, way more than I expected. It shouldn't last more than a day or two but I'm worried about say a week of <70%
    I could only dream of having this problem. You're blessed with this problem. I have a hard time keeping humidity around 50% with misting, big water bowls, and humidity boxes. But after your post, i'm definitely considering upgrading to Aspen bedding once I'm done with the mite treatment.
    1.0 Vanilla (Akeda)
    1.0 Bumblebee (Silas)
    0.1 Albino (Cleo)
    0.1 Lesser Yellowbelly (Cambria)
    0.1 Lesser (Athena)

Thanks

Re: Too much humidity

Oh yeah, man. What I did when I first put the aspen in is wet it. Not enough for it to be soggy or have a pool of water on the bottom, but I thoroughly sprayed the bedding and mixed and sprayed and mixed. It's starting to dry up now, but I don't have to spray a million times a day anymore.