Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,154

5 members and 3,149 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,575
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
    Thanks

Scale rot and trouble shedding

Hey guys!
    So I have a question you ya'll. I work at persmart and we have a pinstripe ball python that I am soon to be purchasing. My question is how would you go about humidity for a snake that has scale rot? Earlier last month I noticed he has brown patches on him belly so I was batheing him in a betadine solution and it has since significally gotten better. He only has 2 small patches left so I'm hoping that will clear up during his shed. I know the humidity needs to be pretty high during the shedding process but I'm worried that if I do bump the humidity it might promote bacteria growth and I don't want that. He has a humid hid in his tank that he doesn't seem to like going into. He also has not eaten the entire time he has been in the store. I just want to know if it is safe to bump the humidity for his shedding.

Thanks
    Also, he is on paper towels and the temp in his tank is 89 currently. His humidity is about 40%.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Re: Scale rot and trouble shedding

You should regally bring that humidity up a bit for the snake so that it can have a good shed. I would raise that humidity up to at least 60% and then once the shed is complete you can leave it at 50%. It sounds like the scale rot is under control so the snake should be fine with a slight raise in humidity for a bit.

Thanks
    Okay that sounds great! I will be raising the humidity up for sure! feel much better now. Thanks again!!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

You can actually have the needed humidity (60-70% during shed ) without the substrate being wet.

It's basically all a balancing act between humidity and airflow.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Thanks! The problem is that the ball is still at Petsmart and unfortunately the tank he's in isn't the ideal tank. So controlling the humidity without misting can be a little difficult. But as of Friday he is comming home with me so I am super excited to get him into ideal conditions! The humidity has gone up a ton from my original post. Last I checked it is at about 65-70%