Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,200

2 members and 3,198 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New to Snake Ownership, No Idea what I'm Doing!

Alright, I was kind of thrown into this snake business, so I would appreciate no judgement from all of you seasoned snake owners I'm not sure where to start. I have a ball python, not sure how old. I was with my room mate when he bought him, but then he kind of ditched the snake. I don't really want to get rid of him because I've always wanted to own a snake...I just need to know what to do. I've tried using Google to obtain info on proper care, but it's a little overwhelming when you don't know where to start. He eats rat pups, thawed, though when he was purchased on Saturday, my roomie was informed that the snake is on a 5-7 day eating schedule and that he was fed on Thursday. I've tried feeding him but he won't eat, but I don't know if that's due to him trying to shed or not. Yeah, that's how inexperienced I am :\ but I won't know unless I ask, right? Any tips or instructions that anyone could provide would be highly appreciated, because I want to make sure this little guy is well taken care of.

Also, I've noticed some spots on him that I'm a little concerned about; I may just be worrying over nothing, but like I said: I'm new and have no idea.. I would like to post a picture but apparently I can't o.O

Thanks

Re: New to Snake Ownership, No Idea what I'm Doing!

Hi and welcome! Congratulations on the new addition, and you are going to live this forum, lots of very experienced and educated people here. I am going to give you some pointers shortly, but wanted to post a quick reply so I can find the thread a bit later when I can sit down and actually type some stuff up for you.
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 1.0 Red Tail Boa, 1.0 Carpet Python, 1.0 Western Hognose, 1.0 Tremper Leopard Gecko, 0.1 Chinchilla, 2.0 Cats, 1.0 Dog, 0.1 Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula, 0.0.1 Desert Blonde Tarantula.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Here is the caresheet and a great place to start. http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ius)-Caresheet

Many snakes do not eat when they start the shed process.

You can post pics by using a place like Photobucket. Load the pic there and then copy the img code into the post you would like the pic to appear in here. When you submit the post the img code will appear as the pic in your post.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    For reference, could you please provide some information about his current enclosure and care. What size and style of enclosure (glass tank or plastic bin set up), what kind of heating is being used and how temperatures are being monitored, what the current temperatures and humidity are and what else is in the enclosure (hides, water dish, etc). That way we will know if anything needs to be modified or added and can go from there. =)
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 1.0 Red Tail Boa, 1.0 Carpet Python, 1.0 Western Hognose, 1.0 Tremper Leopard Gecko, 0.1 Chinchilla, 2.0 Cats, 1.0 Dog, 0.1 Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula, 0.0.1 Desert Blonde Tarantula.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kiiarah For This Useful Post:

calmolly1 (11-21-2014),The Golem (11-21-2014)

Thanks
    I am learning as well so I do not have much advice, I wish I did but I wanted to say congrats on your new addition and say at least you are here and asking, no one should ever look down on that
    1.0 Bumblebee (Aragon)
    1.0 Pastel (Bishop)
    1.0 Lemon Blast (Loki)
    0.1 Normal (Khaleesi)
    0.1 Leopard Gecko (Kaiya)
    1.0 Bearded Dragon (Falkor)
    0.1 Dog (Sarah)
    0.1 Cat (Noelle)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kata For This Useful Post:

calmolly1 (11-23-2014)

Thanks
    First you came to the right place. We are all glad to have you here on the forum. Ball pythons take a little time to settle in before they will eat. True yours may be ready to shed. So like it was mentioned tell us about your setup.We will be happy to help you make the needed adjustments for success.

Thanks

You've come to the right place! Loads of GOOD advice and help here for us newbies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Welcome! I have had my baby for 10 months now and many people on this forum have given helpful advice to make sure she is very healthy. Not sure what to say about the spots. My BP started getting more spots the older she got. I took her to the vet for boarding and the herpetologist said that she is healthy and there is nothing to worry about. That sucks that your roommate just left the snake, but I am glad to hear that you want to provide a good life for him!

BPnet Senior Member I-KandyReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,479 Posts

A little care sheet I wrote:

TANK:

Any type of heat source, whether it's a lamp or heat pad MUST be regulated. Heat pads will reach unsafe temperatures in a matter of minutes. You MUST have a thermostat.

The best you can buy are herpstats.
    http://www.spyderrobotics.com

The cheaper option:
    http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MTPR...ords=Hydrofarm

When you get your thermoSTAT, you plug your heat pad into it. You take your probe and secure it OVER the heat pad on the OUTSIDE of your tank.

Do NOT have the thermoSTAT probe inside the tank, as your snake can move it, pee on it, and will ultimately screw up your probe reading.

If you use a lamp, which most will suggest against, buy a light dimmer. They're about $10 from home depot and allow you to adjust how much heat is coming from the lamp.

Lamps will kill your humidity. Many will suggest covering half your lid with tinfoil/plexiglass/wet cloth. Misting will also help. Also, do not get white bulbs.

After your thermostat, a temp gun will be a wise investment. Or you can purchase a digital thermometer with probe. Many will suggest an Accurite, while others disagree. If you get an Accurite, you place the entire unit in the cage. The probed bit will be secured on top of the glass over your heat pad so you are able to monitor and be sure your thermostat is working properly. The unit goes on your "cool" side to monitor ambient temperatures.

You are aiming for:

Hot spot: 88-91 degrees
    Cool side: 78-80 degrees
    Humidity: 50%

When your snake goes into shed, you will need to boost your humidity up to 60-70%.

Inside your tank you will need:

-two identical hides. Find ones that are small enough to wrap your ball python around all sides and only have one entrance. Those log hides at the pet stores are terrible. One goes on the warm side, the other on the cool side.

-Water dish. If you get a large water dish, you can place it somewhat over your heat pad to help even more with humidity.

-Proper substrate. If you are using a tank, id suggest Eco earth or coco fibre as they help hold in humidity.

TUBS:

If you are able to keep your room at a stable 80 degrees, you will be able to keep your ball python in a tub set up.

Tub set ups may not be the prettiest, but are much easier to maintain humidity than a tank.

Find a large Rubbermaid container with a locking lid. Depending on your room humidity, drill holes along the sides using a soldering drill. The amount of holes will vary. Be careful as you can add more, but can't cover them up if you drill too many.

Just like a tank, you will place the heat pad on one side of the tub, with the thermoSTAT probe over the heat tape. With a thermostat, you will not have to worry about the tub melting as it should never get over 92 degrees.

Set your tub up like a tank. Add your substrate, water dish, hides and thermometers. You can also add fake leaves and branches.

FEEDING:

You'd be surprised to learn that hatchling ball pythons can eat hopper sized mice right out of the egg.

I'd suggest going to Walmart and picking up a cheap kitchen scale to monitor your baby's weight.

Babies can generally eat 10-15% of their weight every 5-7 days.

I feed my mouse eaters and babies on a 5 day schedule. My rat eaters are fed every 7 days.

As your snake gets older, try to match their food with the thickest part of their body.

Once you get your set up done, leave your snake alone for a week. The only time you are in the cage is to change water and clean poo. No touching him/her. Once the week is over, offer your mouse. I'm sure they'll take it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------
    0.1 Dog (Truffles)
    0.1 Naked Cat (Mercedes)
    1.0 Hamster (Pumpkin)
    1.1 Bumblebees (Satyana & Weedle)
    0.3 Normals (Shayla, Rita and Althea)
    0.1 100% Het Pied Ringer (Avalon)
    1.0 Pied (Monsieur Piederoff)
    1.0 Lesser 100% Het Albino poss het OG (Tinersons)
    0.1 Spider Albino (Ivy)
    0.1 Mojave Cinnamon (Morticia)
    1.1 Normal BCIs (Damon and Conga)
    0.1 Crested Gecko (Natasha)
    0.0.1 Rosehair Tarantula (Charlotte)
    0.0.1 P.Metallica
    0.0.1 A.Avicularia
    0.0.2 P.Irminia
    0.0.1 L.Parahybona
    0.0.1 N.Coloratovillosus
    ?.?.? ASFs

12. The Following User Says Thank You to I-KandyReptiles For This Useful Post:

SpecialGreg (11-25-2014)

Thanks
    Could you please post pics of the "spots" so we can see what you are talking about? Welcome to the community...
    1. het Pied 1. Albino 1. Lesser 1. Fire 1. OG 1. Pinstripe het VPI Axanthic 1. Mojave Enchi
    1. Bumblebee 1. Black Pastel Kingpin 1. Pastel Tiger
    .1 Pastel .1 Pastel het Pied .1 Calico .1 OG .1 Mojave het Lavender Albino .1 Lithium .1 Caramel Spider .1 Bumblebee .1 Bumblebee het Clown .1 Leopard
    1. Wild Caught Corn 1. Coral Snow Corn .1 Snow Corn .1 Butter Corn .1 Albino Reverse Okeetee Corn ?.? Frilled Dragon .2 Ferrets

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast