Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,315

3 members and 3,312 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Exclamation Baby Corn Snake Swallowed Bedding

I woke up and I had to go to school so instead of putting her in a different feeding tub I fed her in her cage! She ate it and a fair amount of bedding was stuck on the pinkie. Then I had the 2nd one in and she dragged it into her hole and I fear it was overpowederd with aspen beddng

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Re: Baby Corn Snake Swallowed Bedding

Quote Originally Posted by CornSnakeHandler View Post
    I woke up and I had to go to school so instead of putting her in a different feeding tub I fed her in her cage! She ate it and a fair amount of bedding was stuck on the pinkie. Then I had the 2nd one in and she dragged it into her hole and I fear it was overpowederd with aspen beddng
    What exactly are you afraid of?

Let me put your mind at ease. Many people run their mouths about substrate induced impactions. However keep in mind, most people will not cough up one nickel for their snake to see a vet.

In other words, while snakes die all the time - for a variety of reasons - most owners have no clue as to why their snakes pass away. Most of these deaths do not involve substrate.

Most people make ASSumptions, because they won't pay for a necropsy.

If many of these people who wring their hands about bedding caused impactions actually talked to a reptile vet, they'd know that impactions caused by wood substrates are actually extremely rare.

Snakes often die because they get stressed. They get stressed because they are not kept correctly. Snakes often die because people hoard them and do not practice quarantine procedures. Snakes die because while many people will shell down some serious cash to own the latest morph, they won't pay $100 to see a reptile vet.

I'm very curious about your timeline. If you choose to feed your snake in a tub - and you are running late for school - why not wait until you come home to feed the snake? Not that it matters anyway, but bear with me for a sec:

If you think that substrate ingestion is so worrisome that you had to trot out the heavy emotional firepower (the dreaded "tears" emoticon") why did you not just wait until you came home? What compelled you to rush this? Why could it not wait?
    Last edited by Skiploder; 11-18-2014 at 08:58 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

Darkbird (11-18-2014)

Thanks

Well the thing I am worried about is compactions like you mentioned but if I were to feed her later in the day she tends to get really mean so I tend to feed her when she is in the best mood to keep her happy. I'm the type of person who if there snake falls 6 inches onto a soft floor I will still right away take her in her cage to let her rest.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CornSnakeHandler View Post
    Well the thing I am worried about is compactions like you mentioned but if I were to feed her later in the day she tends to get really mean so I tend to feed her when she is in the best mood to keep her happy. I'm the type of person who if there snake falls 6 inches onto a soft floor I will still right away take her in her cage to let her rest.
    So you couldn't feed her the next morning?

What's a compaction? Is it anything like an impaction?

While you answer that for me, also check on this word - anthropomorphize. A thorough understanding of this word may help you with regards to interacting with your snake.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

HVani (11-18-2014)

Thanks

Wow I feel like such an idiot xD Yes I ment to say impaction

Thanks
    Don't feel like an idiot. Think about what you are doing and why you are doing it.

Relax. Don't rush things.

Don't worry.

Both you and your snake will enjoy life much more with less anxiety, angst and worry.

Thanks

Thanks, you really know your stuff. I will try to calm down more, but I am trying to clear a little area ontop of the heating mat so she can get extra warm if she wants to. Also it's my first snake so I want to do everything %101 right.