Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,358

5 members and 3,353 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Registered User MontyAndMelissa's Avatar
    Thanks

Question Heat and Humidity in the winter.

So, today I've noticed it getting progressively colder (as it tends to do in the winter). Last winter in California was warm and dry, with only a few inches of rain. This winter however is much colder. My question to you is - How do you keep your BP warm in the cold winter? Today I noticed an extreme drop in his temperatures (the warm side was down to 70!) I noticed increased inactivity of Monty and immediately took him out to warm him up when I noticed his temperature so low. I took all the precautions to figure out why his tank had gotten so cold. Once I had warmed him up he seemed to be a little more active.

I fed him 4 days ago, and his eyes are starting to blue, so I expected some inactivity, but he usually peeks his head out most the time to see what me and my husband are up to.

Do you have any suggestions on how to keep his tank warmer? I have the warmest heat lamp accessible in my part of the state, I have 1 UTH on the side of his tank (as ball pythons can't sense heat coming from the bottom and I don't want my baby to get burnt), and I currently have two towels over the top of his tank to keep the heat in. My husband put warm water on his moss, and re-filled his bowl with warm water as well (not scalding hot, but a few degrees warmer than what I let him soak in when he gets a bath, as he tends to not soak in his water bowl). His tank is up to 78.8 and still rising slowly.

Any suggestions are welcome! Thank you!

Thanks

Re: Heat and Humidity in the winter.

One good way to retain heat is to insulate the sides of your tank with foam (I cut up an old sleeping pad, but denser foams work as well). The heat lamp you're using is probably draining your humidity, so you may have to switch substrates (something like Cypress or Cocohusk) to really keep it humid. Covering the top of your tank with tin-foil rather than towels will keep humidity AND reflect heat back into the tank.

BTW, you can - I'd even say should - put your UTH under the tank. That's where your snake can sit on it (Edit: sit on the glass above the UTH) and receive the benefits of its warmth! Your baby won't get burnt because your UTH should be plugged into a thermostat. This is one inexpensive option. The thermostat keeps your UTH at a safe temperature AND you're guaranteed to always have a warm spot your snake can access.

Also, how are you measuring your temperatures? Where is your thermometer located inside the tank? It may be warmer/cooler than you think depending on where you're testing!
    Last edited by thejennabird; 11-17-2014 at 09:58 PM.
    0.1 Butter Pastel - Gloria

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Registered User MontyAndMelissa's Avatar
    Thanks

I purchased an electronic thermometer from the pet store (around $40), and both probes (one for humidity and one for heat) are located in the center rear of the tank, directly behind his favorite hide (that he is -always- in). We use coconut husk for his substrate and it holds humidity amazingly. I actually need to get a new lid (it's a screen top right now that he was brought home with when we rescued him).. And one of the cats got into my room and went right through the lid. Monty is fine, but right now we are collecting the supplies to make a better lid. Unfortunately, since he was a rescue, I didn't have much time to plan or save money for the proper housing for him. Where he is now, he seems to be very happy, it's mostly the heat I'm worried about. Foil is an amazing idea.

- - - Updated - - -

I know I double posted, I didn't realize there was an area specifically for Ball Pythons on the forum. I'm brand new to it (as of about an hour ago.)

Thanks

One thing that I've noticed has helped to keep my humidity up is misting the underside of the foil or plastic that you keep on top of the habitat.