Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,129

1 members and 1,128 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

SyHy4455 (58)

» Stats

Members: 75,121
Threads: 248,563
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, SyHy4455
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718 LastLast
    Thanks
    Meanwhile my beardie just laughs at the humidity problems and keeps that condescending look on his face. He's all peachy keen in his desert enclosure.
    0.0.1 Pastel (Kaa)
    1.0 Beardie (Puff)

Thanks
    Well he weighed in today at 82 grams. I'm thinking he's going to get two fuzzies tomorrow instead of one, and i'm going to weigh them to make sure he's getting at least 15-20% of his weight. I haven't seen any defecation so i know the weight could just drop right back off once he does. Just throwing out an update. I'll post the results of the feed attempt tomorrow.

And the mister is now my entire Christmas list so here's to hoping.
    0.0.1 Pastel (Kaa)
    1.0 Beardie (Puff)

Thanks

Re: New owner and site member, BP Dehydrated from store.

Quote Originally Posted by Karokash View Post
    Well he weighed in today at 82 grams. I'm thinking he's going to get two fuzzies tomorrow instead of one, and i'm going to weigh them to make sure he's getting at least 15-20% of his weight. I haven't seen any defecation so i know the weight could just drop right back off once he does. Just throwing out an update. I'll post the results of the feed attempt tomorrow.

Just looking for an update. Did he take the 2 fuzzies, or just one? Is he starting to look better? Really hoping to hear that you and your BP are doing well.

Aaron
    Aaron

1.0 Spider, Orange Dream, Yellow Belly

Thanks

Regarding the mister, you could go my route and just get an ultrasonic humidifier, and run some tubing to the top of the enclosure, which will pump the "fog" into it. Put it on a timer, and let it run.

Aaron
    Aaron

1.0 Spider, Orange Dream, Yellow Belly

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
    Your snake is very lucky he ended up with you as an owner
    That's exactly what I was thinking!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to platinumbp For This Useful Post:

Karokash (12-13-2014)

Thanks
    Lost internet at the house, sorry guys.
    Update: He is feeding more regularly, took 2 f/t fuzzies last night. I'll weigh him tomorrow. his humidity is still a problem but I am saving for a fogger. i've heard it will work better than a mister so I don't soak his enclosure down. Also really hoping for an Animal Plastics enclosure for christmas....

Oh and I found a camera so I'm going to try to post real pictures soon

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by platinumbp View Post
    That's exactly what I was thinking!
    Thank you for that, I worry i'm not doing a very good job. I just really care about my animals alot and want to give him a good life
    0.0.1 Pastel (Kaa)
    1.0 Beardie (Puff)

Thanks
    Oh and just throwing this out there because I still have no idea why humidity is such a problem for me. But would the fact that i am keeping Kaa in basically a library make any difference? There are 5 large bookshelves filled floor to ceiling, basically half of the walls in the room, plus the short bookshelf that his enclosure is on. Could the books be sucking the humidity out of the room?

It's a weird suggestion I know but I have no idea anymore. My setup is basically exactly like the suggested builds, sans thermostat at the moment, and i'm still struggling to stay in the 40's.

I won't restart the whole humidity conversation again but does anyone think that the large amount of books could be a contributing factor?
    0.0.1 Pastel (Kaa)
    1.0 Beardie (Puff)

Thanks

Oh and just throwing this out there because I still have no idea why humidity is such a problem for me. But would the fact that i am keeping Kaa in basically a library make any difference? There are 5 large bookshelves filled floor to ceiling, basically half of the walls in the room, plus the short bookshelf that his enclosure is on. Could the books be sucking the humidity out of the room?

It's a weird suggestion I know but I have no idea anymore. My setup is basically exactly like the suggested builds, sans thermostat at the moment, and i'm still struggling to stay in the 40's.

I won't restart the whole humidity conversation again but does anyone think that the large amount of books could be a contributing factor?
    Did you cover the screen with aluminum foil? I have a huge percentage of my screen covered with aluminum foil and my humidity stays in the 60's no problem. Here's a pic of my setup:
    [IMG][/IMG]

I have my water bowl under the lamp, and I have a cup with moist paper towels in it. Both of those provide moisture. I got the cup idea from not being able to use moss in my tanks due to mites. So I improvised and it has worked wonders for me. I struggled with having to mist my tanks multiple times per day, now I rarely have to adjust my himidity levels. This type of setup allows the humidity to come from within the tank rather than the outside, so your library situation may not affect this at all.
    1.0 Vanilla (Akeda)
    1.0 Bumblebee (Silas)
    0.1 Albino (Cleo)
    0.1 Lesser Yellowbelly (Cambria)
    0.1 Lesser (Athena)

Thanks
    I have both a large water bowl under the lamp and a wet moss log hide. Haven't had a mite problem. And 2/3 of the lid is covered in foil. i'll try to get a pic tonight.

On the up side; he did weigh in at 99g last night, up from 82g a couple of weeks ago. so he is putting on a little bit of weight, which is good

I'll try the cup thing in addition, but he is pretty curious so he will probably knock it over. He won't allow the thermometer to stand up for more than a couple of hours without toppling it, then staring at me and daring me to stand it up again.
    Last edited by Karokash; 12-15-2014 at 01:53 PM.
    0.0.1 Pastel (Kaa)
    1.0 Beardie (Puff)

Thanks

you may want to try covering even more of the top with aluminum foil. It may not seem like it'll make a huge difference, but the heat from the lamp is going straight down to the water and moist hide. This means that the water is evaporating straight back up, so it'll tough to retain those water molecules. try leaving only a few small holes of uncovered aluminum around the lamp and check your humidity after that sits for a while.
    1.0 Vanilla (Akeda)
    1.0 Bumblebee (Silas)
    0.1 Albino (Cleo)
    0.1 Lesser Yellowbelly (Cambria)
    0.1 Lesser (Athena)

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718 LastLast