Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,122

0 members and 3,122 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,130
Threads: 248,575
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
    Thanks

Worried about a very derpy baby.

So my little Mojave is eating every offering and her temps are spot on and her humidity is as close to ideal as possible...my worry? That she might hurt herself falling over! She is in a standard 30"x10"x12" glass terrarium and she likes to stretch up as high as she can to examine the lid. Then she over extends herself and inevitably falls over...smacking her derpy little noggin, audibly, on the decor! She doesn't seem worse for the wear and there is nothing sharp or sticky anywhere near her but it just looks (and sounds) so awful when I see it!

0.1 normal 100% het pied (Nayo)
    0.1 Mojave (Zillo)

Thanks

Re: Worried about a very derpy baby.

Lol... Welcome to the weird BP world. From my experience i'd say it pretty standard and really nothing to worry about. I had plenty of mine fall when they were young and doesn't seem like they did any damage to themselves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Thanks

My little guy has done this a few times, but for the most part only shortly after he came home. I agree, it looks really scary, but mine seems not to have hurt himself either. He has stopped this as far as I can tell now that he is settled into his enclosure. How long have you had yours? It is possible that she is just trying to map out her new surroundings, and once she gets comfortable she will not be so inclined to "climb the walls", both literally and metaphorically. I believe this behavior is called "wandering" and is common with new arrivals, though if she has been in that enclosure for a while and still does it you may want to check over your husbandry and ensure that everything is correct, as it can also be a sign of discomfort or something wrong in the tank. I have also read though that babies, because they are not yet very heavy bodied, do tend to push thier limits a bit with the climbing. Once they start to really put on some weight they seem to give up on this idea.
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 1.0 Red Tail Boa, 1.0 Carpet Python, 1.0 Western Hognose, 1.0 Tremper Leopard Gecko, 0.1 Chinchilla, 2.0 Cats, 1.0 Dog, 0.1 Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula, 0.0.1 Desert Blonde Tarantula.

Thanks

My 7m old BP comes out at night and explores all over her cage. She climbs on everything and loves to hang on her old fashioned thermometer I keep in there for backup. After her nightly activities she settles back down to "hunt"; waiting for a rat to go past her tree lol

Molly & Steve
    0.1 normal BP 'Precioucess'
    0.1 BCI 'Luna'

Thanks
    Our 4 month old bumble bee goes through a 2-3 day active period a week. Forever trying to climb up the foliage and reaching to the top of his tank. I hated hearing him "thump" to the bottom of the tank when he couldn't keep his balance. I ended up put some moss around the edges of the tank so at least when he falls over he has a softer landing. Makes me feel a bit better when I see him fall over and land on a more coushioned floor. It also helps me maintain the humidity so I'm not spraying the tank down daily.

Thanks

I've had her about 6 weeks. She was hatched out in the first week of August. I know logically that she is just a light weight baby that is exploring... But it sounds so nasty. If my dome made that sound on a nice smooth rock I would be in a hospital. If there is anything wrong with her enclosure then she is more diva than python. B-) her temps are a steady 89\79 with 60% humidity. She has her two identical hides and available water and all that goodness. She IS in a terrarium that is too large for her. Not by a lot but too big none the less. She cruises and hides and appears to be comfortable so I don't believe her to be stressed. I'm just being over protective. :-)

0.1 normal 100% het pied (Nayo)
    0.1 Mojave (Zillo)